Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
So the presumed plan would either close or build over 153rd Street to incorporate both GAL and the 153rd Street garage that are across the street from each other, right? I can't make sense of it otherwise. And the Ruppert garage down the block and closer to the Deegan would be unaffected?

Gotta think 153rd has to close if only for security reasons.

Reactions: Kjbert and The Toe
SO would this mean they would tear down that entrance to the Major Deegan down by East 153rd? That's how I get onto the highway so it'll quite change that up a bit lol. (Not complaining, of course)
This is why I asked the question about closing 153rd Street. If you head south on the Deegan after games that ramp is by far the best option. Really, it is the only good option. Park in either the 153rd Street garage or Ruppert and take that ramp. It killed me when it was closed for 2 years for the construction. Added 10-15 minutes to my trip home every night just getting on the highway.

Gotta think 153rd has to close if only for security reasons.

It'll just get demapped by the city. It's not really that busy a street and trying to build over it adds so much unnecessary expense. When the current Yankee Stadium was built, a section of 162nd Street between Jerome and River had to be demapped to make room for the stadium.

Reactions: Kjbert
Somebody needs to leak a rendering.
10b1kaibabcabin06.jpg

I like how they incorporated the surrounding environment and and it has a roof!

This is why I asked the question about closing 153rd Street. If you head south on the Deegan after games that ramp is by far the best option. Really, it is the only good option. Park in either the 153rd Street garage or Ruppert and take that ramp. It killed me when it was closed for 2 years for the construction. Added 10-15 minutes to my trip home every night just getting on the highway.
I only found out about that this season about 3 games ago when I went to that small lot across from Ruppert. (is that 153rd street garage?) They're probably just going to relocate that ramp, they must right?

It's possible, but maybe they also only close it during events. The Park Avenue tunnel and viaduct, First Avenue tunnel, and Battery Park Underpass are all still in use.

Well, just to illustrate my above point, there's no reason that they won't just do away with that stretch of 153rd entirely. Here's 162nd on the left in 2006, and you'll see that on the right it's made way for a slice of left field and the bleachers. (The ramp is a different question since that's State DOT property and I think they just spent money to rehabilitate it, so that's almost certainly sticking around.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.08.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.08.24 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: Jon and mgarbowski
I only found out about that this season about 3 games ago when I went to that small lot across from Ruppert. (is that 153rd street garage?) They're probably just going to relocate that ramp, they must right?

Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 10.09.20 AM.png
Poor quality file but you can see Ruppert is the garage close nestled between the Deegan and Heritage Field. It has entrances on 157th Street and 161st. 157th Street is really the same as 153rd Street, just past the slight dogleg. That bit of 157th street between the 153rd street garage and the park is closed to cars now. It is just a walkway.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
I'm still having trouble coming up with 20 acres unless they're purchasing other properties around River and 153rd/151st (maybe Thriftland or American Self Storage buildings)

By my rudimentary calculations (in acres):

151st South lot 2.75
151st North lot .7
153rd Lot .8
153rd garage 4.00
GAL 3.00
Harlem River lot 1.00
Harlem River lot North 2.75
River Ave East of 153rd garage .6

Total: 15.6 acres

Thriftland and the storage building adds another 2-2.5 acres, closing 153rd would add some land, maybe moving or closing the ramps would add some additional space too.

Someone should go back and look at the original GAL plans. I know they had 153rd Street closing. Not sure about the ramp. I don't the ramp drains traffic other than 153rd and the Ruppert Garage, so it's not clear they leave it there just for the garage, but maybe they do. If they don't need that land for anything in particular - why not.

Of course the best way to get out of Ruppert and go north on the 87 is to go under McCombs Dam Bridge Rd. into the 161st Street lot and then exit out onto 161st. It's an easy trip to the 87 from there. That's what I did the first two years, but they block the underpass now (for no apparent reason). If they lose the ramp, that's a good option.

I'm still having trouble coming up with 20 acres unless they're purchasing other properties around River and 153rd/151st (maybe Thriftland or American Self Storage buildings)

By my rudimentary calculations (in acres):

151st South lot 2.75
151st North lot .7
153rd Lot .8
153rd garage 4.00
GAL 3.00
Harlem River lot 1.00
Harlem River lot North 2.75
River Ave East of 153rd garage .6

Total: 15.6 acres
I was just starting to think this through myself.

Figuring out which parking facilities (or other buildings) are included in the plan is not easy. I had originally assumed it was the little used lots by the river on the other side of the 87, but when I reread the following in the NY Times article, I start to wonder (emphasis added).

The developers say they have a binding agreement to buy the GAL Manufacturing factory on East 153rd Street, near the Major Deegan Expressway. The developers, in turn, would lease the land to New York City F.C. to build the stadium, with the rent subsidizing development of the housing.

The developer is also looking to relocate GAL nearby so the borough does not lose several hundred blue-collar jobs.

For the housing, the developer also has a tentative agreement to buy or lease a large parking garage across the street from GAL and several other parking lots on River Avenue owned by Bronx Parking Development Company, a money-losing company controlled by the city and a group of lenders.​

Under an agreement with the Yankees, the city, through Bronx Parking, was required to provide 9,500 parking spaces for baseball games. But a new Metro-North rail station nearby undercut the need for all those parking spaces.​

As part of a deal for the soccer stadium, the Yankees would agree to reduce the required number of parking spaces to 6,500, enabling Bronx Parking to sell or lease the land to the developer.
The NY Times also says the development would be:

a 20-acre, multibillion-dollar development stretching along East 153rd Street and River Avenue, between Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Terminal Market​

Looking at Mark's map, there are 3 smaller garages across River Avenue from the GAL/153rd site. As you note, those might be included too. And there could be other buildings on the far side of River Ave in the mix. Maybe Rupert as well. I think the only thing not affected would be the old Yankee Stadium site for reasons well discussed here.

View attachment 8874
Poor quality file but you can see Ruppert is the garage close nestled between the Deegan and Heritage Field. It has entrances on 157th Street and 161st. 157th Street is really the same as 153rd Street, just past the slight dogleg. That bit of 157th street between the 153rd street garage and the park is closed to cars now. It is just a walkway.
oh, I see. I park in that small area between the red subway station and Ruppert. How much is 153rd? Ruppert is 45 (absolute ripoff), the one I park in is $30.

I was just starting to think this through myself.

Figuring out which parking facilities (or other buildings) are included in the plan is not easy. I had originally assumed it was the little used lots by the river on the other side of the 87, but when I reread the following in the NY Times article, I start to wonder (emphasis added).

The developers say they have a binding agreement to buy the GAL Manufacturing factory on East 153rd Street, near the Major Deegan Expressway. The developers, in turn, would lease the land to New York City F.C. to build the stadium, with the rent subsidizing development of the housing.

The developer is also looking to relocate GAL nearby so the borough does not lose several hundred blue-collar jobs.

For the housing, the developer also has a tentative agreement to buy or lease a large parking garage across the street from GAL and several other parking lots on River Avenue owned by Bronx Parking Development Company, a money-losing company controlled by the city and a group of lenders.​

Under an agreement with the Yankees, the city, through Bronx Parking, was required to provide 9,500 parking spaces for baseball games. But a new Metro-North rail station nearby undercut the need for all those parking spaces.​

As part of a deal for the soccer stadium, the Yankees would agree to reduce the required number of parking spaces to 6,500, enabling Bronx Parking to sell or lease the land to the developer.
The NY Times also says the development would be:

a 20-acre, multibillion-dollar development stretching along East 153rd Street and River Avenue, between Yankee Stadium and the Bronx Terminal Market​

Looking at Mark's map, there are 3 smaller garages across River Avenue from the GAL/153rd site. As you note, those might be included too. And there could be other buildings on the far side of River Ave in the mix. Maybe Rupert as well. I think the only thing not affected would be the old Yankee Stadium site for reasons well discussed here.
I’d have to imagine that the stadium would be built on top of the metro north stop for sure given the 20 acre statement. Which, is pretty damn cool. Get off the train, you’re inside the stadium already.

oh, I see. I park in that small area between the red subway station and Ruppert. How much is 153rd? Ruppert is 45 (absolute ripoff), the one I park in is $30.

That's cool. I've been parking in Ali's lot, which is across the Metro North Station. It is also $30. I might have to try yours.

Is that actually the GAL parking lot for it's employees? What's the easiest way in?

Looks like a highway, but yeah, pretty much the same idea. Cool as hell.

yep thats it .....dope ...maybe because i like trains and shit i think its cool idea just dont know who this stadium even fits but first gotta see if this is official

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
That's cool. I've been parking in Ali's lot, which is across the Metro North Station. It is also $30. I might have to try yours.

Is that actually the GAL parking lot for it's employees? What's the easiest way in?
I park in a garage on Concourse Village West which only costs $15-$20 depending on whether it's a weekday or weekend.

It's even closer to the proposed site than it is to YS.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH