Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you knocked down the Rupert St Garage (Macombs Dam Park), assumes Heritage Field, knocked down the parking garage on 153rd St, eliminates 153rd St and then knocked down GAL, you could do everything you wanted. I have no idea why the City would allow that.
they better not be factoring any changes to the existing parks in their plans - that's how'd you'd get push-back and lose support (myself included)

Reactions: Kjbert
NIMBY stands for Not In My Back Yard.... Basically community groups in the neighborhood might protest another stadium being built (lack of green space, traffic, better use of land).
I just would have thought the impact would be minimal compared to how it currently is for game days (Yankees and NYCFC) - the traffic shouldn't be an issue unless they mess with the I-87 south on ramp - the better use of land part, though...

I just would have thought the impact would be minimal compared to how it currently is for game days (Yankees and NYCFC) - the traffic shouldn't be an issue unless they mess with the I-87 south on ramp - the better use of land part, though...
Nothing like building things that actually supply revenue and activity, as opposed to a marked up trash garage no one uses. Plus GAL would get a better location for their building and a loading dock supposedly , among other upgrades they have been seeking but can’t get at their current address.

157th Street becomes useless if a stadium is going there, so I would imagine there is slightly more room to expand over it.
Exactly. The road would cease to exist right there. Not a huge deal considering the little amount of traffic on it usually. If they manage to elevate the stadium somehow, or incorporate the metro north stop and the ramp to 87 somehow into the building, it might not change the current set up.

Where is the space for anything other than a stadium at the GAL site? What am I missing here?

One article a few months ago said the developer who is to aquire all the land (and lease 8-10 acres to CFG) is acquiring GAL, the garage, and the parking lots along River Ave. Or something like that. Point being is more like 20+ total acres they are proposing to develop.

157th Street becomes useless if a stadium is going there, so I would imagine there is slightly more room to expand over it.
Exactly. The road would cease to exist right there. Not a huge deal considering the little amount of traffic on it usually. If they manage to elevate the stadium somehow, or incorporate the metro north stop and the ramp to 87 somehow into the building, it might not change the current set up.
The stretch of 157th between the 153rd St garage and Heritage Field is already closed. You can't drive on it. It's just a walkway. I'm surprised it is still mapped as a street. It's really the least meaningful obstacle to this site.
The real ones are the train tracks, MTA station, and southbound Deegan access ramp, which people who know more than me say we can easily just elevate over. Then the other questions is do you keep the full length of 153rd Street open. Though it has few attractions of its own, it is an important link between the northbound Deegan and the street grid.

The stretch of 157th between the 153rd St garage and Heritage Field is already closed. You can't drive on it. It's just a walkway. I'm surprised it is still mapped as a street. It's really the least meaningful obstacle to this site.
The real ones are the train tracks, MTA station, and southbound Deegan access ramp, which people who know more than me say we can easily just elevate over. Then the other questions is do you keep the full length of 153rd Street open. Though it has few attractions of its own, it is an important link between the northbound Deegan and the street grid.
Speaking of elevation, imagine it is possible to keep 153rd st. Open as is and the stadium is propped above it? Not sure if the street is worth the extra money it would take to pull this off though..

Speaking of elevation, imagine it is possible to keep 153rd st. Open as is and the stadium is propped above it? Not sure if the street is worth the extra money it would take to pull this off though..
I don't know engineering but I do know spatial relationships and if you elevate over the train station and southbound access ramp then you're also elevated over the street. Hell, you're even above the GAL factory and garage so I suppose they could even remain, but nobody wants the the garage and I expect the club and developer want to use some of the ground floor space which is why they want to buy the factory. Tunnels are built under roadways, water, and buildings all over so I don't see why putting one under a stadium would be out of the question. The question is do they want to keep that road open for the access to both the northbound and SB Deegan. I would think yes but it could go otherwise.

I don't know engineering but I do know spatial relationships and if you elevate over the train station and southbound access ramp then you're also elevated over the street. Hell, you're even above the GAL factory and garage so I suppose they could even remain, but nobody wants the the garage and I expect the club and developer want to use some of the ground floor space which is why they want to buy the factory. Tunnels are built under roadways, water, and buildings all over so I don't see why putting one under a stadium would be out of the question. The question is do they want to keep that road open for the access to both the northbound and SB Deegan. I would think yes but it could go otherwise.
A tunnel would be pretty sweet under the stadium. Could be club staff access point for parking if there’s space under/within the building. The possibilities are endless and it fascinates the hell out of me.

Where is the space for anything other than a stadium at the GAL site? What am I missing here?
That's my point. They don't need to build parking garages or anything else but a stadium. If they find a spot elsewhere, they will need to build costly, most likely money losing garages and other infrastructure. The Gal site does not need any of that because it is built already. That is what makes the GAL challenges worthwhile imo. It will be cheaper to build a stadium on a complicated 12 acre site, than building garages and a stadium at an impossible to find 25 acre site elsewhere. Not to mention any other site we can realistically get probably wont have the existing transit infrastructure in place tha Yankee Stadium has.
It's been obvious from day one, the Gal site, or near Citi Field, are too good to pass up, regardless of the added costs, it will still be cheaper than just about any other place.....if we can get one approved.

Last edited:
Thank you Jon Jon

What’s the little plot of land to the left of where your green box ends? Looks like some more land especially as you get towards the upper left hand corner.

10 acres is more or less the minimum to put a stadium there right?

Train station goes underground

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
they better not be factoring any changes to the existing parks in their plans - that's how'd you'd get push-back and lose support (myself included)

Of course. But how do you put anything else on that plot of land

One article a few months ago said the developer who is to aquire all the land (and lease 8-10 acres to CFG) is acquiring GAL, the garage, and the parking lots along River Ave. Or something like that. Point being is more like 20+ total acres they are proposing to develop.

I don’t understand that move but I guess those locations aren’t all connected and that doesn’t affect us as long as we have our contiguous space

Thank you Jon Jon

What’s the little plot of land to the left of where your green box ends? Looks like some more land especially as you get towards the upper left hand corner.

10 acres is more or less the minimum to put a stadium there right?

Train station goes underground

Northwest corner would be the parking lots for GAL. The southwest corner, on the opposite side of the train station is a private parking lot. Google Maps has it as Ali's Lot. I just made the plot of land for the stadium a rectangle for convenience but if you added those sections you'd probably squeeze out 11.5 - 12 acres.

Northwest corner would be the parking lots for GAL. The southwest corner, on the opposite side of the train station is a private parking lot. Google Maps has it as Ali's Lot. I just made the plot of land for the stadium a rectangle for convenience but if you added those sections you'd probably squeeze out 11.5 - 12 acres.
I think Google Maps might be wrong - the northwest corner lot (off 153rd) is a pay-for-parking lot and might even be Ali's Lot

If they rethink the whole space from Jerome to River between the train tracks and 161st Street, it would seem pretty easy to reconfigure everything so that the fields are all preserved and no heroic engineering necessary, right?

If they rethink the whole space from Jerome to River between the train tracks and 161st Street, it would seem pretty easy to reconfigure everything so that the fields are all preserved and no heroic engineering necessary, right?

In an ideal world you build on the site of the old Yankee stadium and piecemeal an equivalent amount of parkland out of the GAL site and the garage and you don't have to worry about 153rd street, the Metro North stop, and The Deegan off ramp.

In an ideal world you build on the site of the old Yankee stadium and piecemeal an equivalent amount of parkland out of the GAL site and the garage and you don't have to worry about 153rd street, the Metro North stop, and The Deegan off ramp.

Yes, but this is New York City - when it comes to planning, pretty much the polar opposite of the ideal world.