Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I would agree the current formation negates much of what Maxi brings to the table.
I think Maxi has been excellent since the switch in system. And that's without counting the 4 times he hit the post since the switch that could have been a couple of goals, or the shot on goal that was saved for Héber to score against Orlando. Looking at the progress we've made, I think he's well on his way to having another excellent season.

I think Maxi has been excellent since the switch in system. And that's without counting the 4 times he hit the post since the switch that could have been a couple of goals, or the shot on goal that was saved for Héber to score against Orlando. Looking at the progress we've made, I think he's well on his way to having another excellent season.
Top 2 players for me so far this season are Maxi and Sands. Undecided/too early to discuss Heber.

I never said Maxi was poor (besides at PKs!). But he’s aging and can be improved in. Imagine we had Pozuelo instead of Maxi? Or this season P & M? With Maxi moving around fill in with all our 3 games weeks ahead.

I think it depends on the team and style of play.

He’s a Top 6 CB but he’s a CDM for any team that doesn’t distribute well from the back line.
He’s going overseas next. He should be playing the position he can excel at there, and that’s CB. He moves ok, but he’s not fluid enough to be a DMid in Europe.

I never said Maxi was poor (besides at PKs!). But he’s aging and can be improved in. Imagine we had Pozuelo instead of Maxi? Or this season P & M? With Maxi moving around fill in with all our 3 games weeks ahead.
Generally speaking, if the world and therefore squad construction were entirely logical, we should respect the hierarchy DP > TAM > cheap, so we should have our obvious and more blatant holes in positions that have been patched up cheaply. Alas our clearest hole is left back, were Sweat fills in for the presumed starter Mata all too often because Mata cannot stay healthy. OTOH many people argue against spending valuable DP spots on non-attacking positions. Maxi is probably the most talented and consistent player on this team, and the shambles the teams turns into in his absence is proof enough. The chances of striking lightning with a DP like Pozuelo, or Vela, is always slim (see for example Nico Gaitan who has a better resume than those 2 but looks a shell of his former self). So the idea of risking a DP slot to replace the very good for the amazing is a bit too ambitious and can end in waste. I would rather replace Ofori with a 15 to 20 million world-class young or youngish #8 DP. Heber I would only supersede if we're getting a super-famous 9 who will also bring butts to the stadium seats. Upgrade Sweat with TAM. If we're going to continue with 5-3-2 we already have a great winger in ITS who doesn't deserve it but is the odd man out. So no more wingers. We all hope Mitrita will start producing to justify his price tag. The truth is we have a good and deep squad. Maybe the biggest weakness is that we have no CAM whatsoever to fill in for Maxi if he gets injured. But his sub should be a cheap or semi-cheap option such as Kenny Saief or Benny Feilhaber. Somebody who knows and understands the position but will not displace nor is being groomed to succeed Maxi. If we want to groom a succesor it would have to be an Academy kid, otherwise when we feel Maxi is declining we should go get a really good and expensive plug-and-play CAM DP.

Let's keep this on Stadium Discussion topics please! Which includes. anything and everything that is and isn't a stadium.

Here's an interesting topic, what thing would you want in a stadium that a current MLS team doesn't have? A dedicated kids playground? In seat ordering? Retractable roof?

Generally speaking, if the world and therefore squad construction were entirely logical, we should respect the hierarchy DP > TAM > cheap, so we should have our obvious and more blatant holes in positions that have been patched up cheaply. Alas our clearest hole is left back, were Sweat fills in for the presumed starter Mata all too often because Mata cannot stay healthy. OTOH many people argue against spending valuable DP spots on non-attacking positions. Maxi is probably the most talented and consistent player on this team, and the shambles the teams turns into in his absence is proof enough. The chances of striking lightning with a DP like Pozuelo, or Vela, is always slim (see for example Nico Gaitan who has a better resume than those 2 but looks a shell of his former self). So the idea of risking a DP slot to replace the very good for the amazing is a bit too ambitious and can end in waste. I would rather replace Ofori with a 15 to 20 million world-class young or youngish #8 DP. Heber I would only supersede if we're getting a super-famous 9 who will also bring butts to the stadium seats. Upgrade Sweat with TAM. If we're going to continue with 5-3-2 we already have a great winger in ITS who doesn't deserve it but is the odd man out. So no more wingers. We all hope Mitrita will start producing to justify his price tag. The truth is we have a good and deep squad. Maybe the biggest weakness is that we have no CAM whatsoever to fill in for Maxi if he gets injured. But his sub should be a cheap or semi-cheap option such as Kenny Saief or Benny Feilhaber. Somebody who knows and understands the position but will not displace nor is being groomed to succeed Maxi. If we want to groom a succesor it would have to be an Academy kid, otherwise when we feel Maxi is declining we should go get a really good and expensive plug-and-play CAM DP.
Love your posts as they are very well thought out, but could you possibly break these up a bit into multiple paragraphs? It's hard to read this as one giant block.

Let's keep this on Stadium Discussion topics please! Which includes. anything and everything that is and isn't a stadium.

Here's an interesting topic, what thing would you want in a stadium that a current MLS team doesn't have? A dedicated kids playground? In seat ordering? Retractable roof?
a bar with hundreds of taps that goes around the entire stadium like a moat

Honestly I could see us going for a DP LWB, you say they don't contribute to the attack, look at andy roberston or even Colombus' LB who is injured. Fullbacks in today's game are a vital part of the attack, look how much Ben sweat has to do in the attacking phase, a big upgrade to that and I can see us going to the next level, especially someone who can cut inside rather than just cross all the time, with a DP full back you have tinnerholm plus and that's a scary thought if I were any other team.

Reactions: adam

Don’t we always argue here that the way to improve a squad is push current starters to the bench? We shouldn’t be signing players to the bench, unless we’re filling positions 18-23 with youngins.

Reactions: Ulrich
a bar with hundreds of taps that goes around the entire stadium like a moat

2 dedicated taps for every section, so you don’t have to walk to the concourse for a refill. Contests mid-match. If you’re seat # is called you get to put your mouth under the tap for 30 seconds.

giphy.gif

Diverse food options; classic foods at reasonable prices ala Atlanta; better beer selection.

There's so much that has already been done, I just want the best sight lines possible, reasonably-priced food and beer, and comfortable seating. I don't mind getting up at halftime to get some food or a beer, but I understand that ordering from your seat is nice, especially with kids.

Honestly I could see us going for a DP LWB, you say they don't contribute to the attack, look at andy roberston or even Colombus' LB who is injured. Fullbacks in today's game are a vital part of the attack, look how much Ben sweat has to do in the attacking phase, a big upgrade to that and I can see us going to the next level, especially someone who can cut inside rather than just cross all the time, with a DP full back you have tinnerholm plus and that's a scary thought if I were any other team.

Fair, but Andy Robertson gets to cross the ball to the best Front 3 in the world.

Which is part of the reason Lucas Digne is the better player.

Reactions: Christopher Jee