Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
What do you mean "as a general rule" they were delayed by that long?

My understanding is that the developers weren't ready to file their application prior to the pandemic, and that there were still several issues that needed to be worked out before they could file their application. Working out those issues has likely taken a bit longer due to the pandemic (I'm guesstimating 1-3 months), but there was still a good amount of time and effort needed on those items.

Now, had they been looking to file the application last April/May, then I could see a much larger impact to the schedule. And perhaps there still is a schedule impact due to the pandemic that hasn't "hit" the project yet as perhaps there is now a backlog of projects created due to the pandemic that have yet to be reviewed, etc.

want to ask you some direct questions. If you don’t want to answer, I respect that.
1) When do you think the club will acknowledge a site has been agreed?
2) When do you think shovels will go in the ground
3) Share the date NYCFC plays its first home game in the stadium
4) Should be 1 but I’m too lazy to change my formatting. Do you think a stadium will be built at the GAL site?

want to ask you some direct questions. If you don’t want to answer, I respect that.
4) Should be 1 but I’m too lazy to change my formatting. Do you think a stadium will be built at the GAL site?

First, in response to your other post, my "general rule' included both post-filing and pre-filing factors. Applications filed were on hold with staff out of the office, and some applications ready to file were on hold since agencies were not accepting new filings. Further, certain City Planning actions require pre-application meetings with staff before they are actually filed. Basically, whatever timing was expected for an application, adding 9-12 months to that estimate was necessary.

Without details of the project, I can only speculate, but:

1) If I were advising the club, I wouldn't acknowledge the site until A) there was confirmation as to the City and State actions that were required, B) there was local Council support, and C) air rights deals were secured (if necessary). One thing that is often overlooked in the project is the private component. Legal and political paths can be cleared, only to have one private party hold out, seeking a large payment and killing a project. As fans we want information - understandably - but some times sharing too much information early can be costly.

2) 2023? For me, the key date has always been June 2026. The benefits of a new stadium opening concurrent with a World Cup in this country would be incalculable. Hopefully sooner, but 2023 would allow an announcement end of 2021, 2022 for approvals, 2023 for permits.

3) My best guess is the first game after the World Cup - let's say Sunday, July 26, 2026. If that is correct, someone from the forum can buy me a beer before the game.

4) Yes. There is enough smoke for there to be a fire. The Bronx was always the best option for political and economic reasons, and the neighborhood has stadium experience.

As a fan, I hope I am miserably wrong and that it opens sooner - or at worst there is an announcement earlier than expected. But, my guess is still 2026.

1) Summer/Fall 2022
2) Fall 2023/Spring 2024
3) Opening day 2027
4) Yes.

The full podcast is very good. Lots of info. They talk a lot about the stadium stuff, they also talk about the loss of season tickets, the dual/triple stadium stuff, lots of insights. I really like this kind of content.
(the season ticket stuff is very, very interesting.)

He also pretty much rules out signings in summer like Aguero, citing various financial stuff.
- We pay 100% of player salary
- He claims the argument for 'butts in seats and jersey sales' is bad because 1. we only get 67% of the money, MLS takes 33% of all ticket sales, and they only get ~17% of jersey sales... so the cost is way higher than any possible accrued revenue
- We've played better without the big names than with them. (I hate this one because on one hand yes, but on the other hand if they were here during last season or two seasons ago instead of the player pool we had when they were here.....)

He also talks about the 'extreme fan' stuff that's been going on (around the 29 minute mark)

They also talk about the David Villa allegations

Last edited:
The full podcast is very good. Lots of info. They talk a lot about the stadium stuff, they also talk about the loss of season tickets, the dual/triple stadium stuff, lots of insights. I really like this kind of content.
(the season ticket stuff is very, very interesting.)

He also pretty much rules out signings in summer like Aguero, citing various financial stuff.
- We pay 100% of player salary
- He claims the argument for 'butts in seats and jersey sales' is bad because 1. we only get 67% of the money, MLS takes 33% of all ticket sales, and they only get ~17% of jersey sales... so the cost is way higher than any possible accrued revenue
- We've played better without the big names than with them. (I hate this one because on one hand yes, but on the other hand if they were here during last season or two seasons ago instead of the player pool we had when they were here.....)

He also talks about the 'extreme fan' stuff that's been going on (around the 29 minute mark)

They also talk about the David Villa allegations
The true value in jersey sales IMO is it's *somewhat free* marketing.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm just paraphrasing Sims for those who don't want to watch the full podcast.

But honestly I'd listen to the whole thing if you have time, Brad does a better job explaining his/their standpoints on things
Oh yeah, I didn't mean that to push back on anything you were saying. Moreso "adding on" to what Sims was saying regarding jersey sales.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
What does that mean?
The white supremacy stuff. He says that the club is fully against any of that behavior and they take care of it, and now it should no longer be happening, and even if it is it's a really small population. (Or something like that.) - you can go listen and get the full picture

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that to push back on anything you were saying. Moreso "adding on" to what Sims was saying regarding jersey sales.

Ah, gotcha. Thing is, is that worth it? I guess it depends. He has a great section in the podcast about fan retention rates worldwide / america and how an 80% retention rate is about average, and the NBA gives awards for over 80% retention rates, and 90% retention rates being crazy good - and then comparing those numbers. I guess with all that, it just isn't worth it for the wage bill a player of that caliber would bring?

Still though, there's also the novelty factor of a big signing... Just the "I'd love to see X play" even if it means some sunk cost. I don't know if the club could afford that, but it sure would be great

Reactions: SoupInNYC
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm just paraphrasing Sims for those who don't want to watch the full podcast.

But honestly I'd listen to the whole thing if you have time, Brad does a better job explaining his/their standpoints on things

seens like a great way to just get all pissed off

Reactions: adam