Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Could they build the stadium below ground there? Pretty close to the river.
Doesn't seem like the ideal situation what with the rising sea levels and all. It'd be under the water table within 20 years probably.

Reactions: Kjbert
Doesn't seem like the ideal situation what with the rising sea levels and all. It'd be under the water table within 20 years probably.

The President told me that was a hoax.

Does the prospect of back-to-back Hurricane Sandy events in consecutive years keep anyone else up at night? Damn its scary to be in an expensive real estate market on the coast right now.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not a civil engineer but I've never really understood the almost universal appeal of the GAL site. I mean, the amount of work to shoehorn a stadium into that small space seems to me to not be worth the effort and cost. You have a major highway, several streets and access roads (that will have to be moved), and a pile of train tracks (including a station) that will have to be dealt with. If I were an engineer, which again I'm not, I'd think that my first thought we be, "surely there's an easier place that's just some flat land we can build on."

To me Willets Point/Citi Field parking lot just seems like the most logical and easiest place to build a stadium. If it's the parking lot then construction could start tomorrow (not counting approvals, etc.) or if it's Willets Point then after the cleanup, which would be someone else's problem (maybe).

Never understood the love for the GAL site, other than that it's close to Yankee Stadium. And it doesn't seem the Yankees organization cares all that much about the team, despite owning 20%ish. So surely there's better locations for a stadium than on top of a railroad line.
Not sure if this got addressed yet but I'm a civil Engineering intern. Construction Management intern to be more precise. The one thing that I have learned about this so far is that the client always has the last word. The engineers could try to persuade the client to go for a easier site with a lower cost, yet the client will always want to go for what's more convenient for them and will try to pay as little as possible to get it. But to your point yes there is definitely easier places to built on. But if we do get GAL, wouldn't it be nice to have our new stadium open right next to the iconic yankee stadium!

Not sure if this got addressed yet but I'm a civil Engineering intern. Construction Management intern to be more precise. The one thing that I have learned about this so far is that the client always has the last word. The engineers could try to persuade the client to go for a easier site with a lower cost, yet the client will always want to go for what's more convenient for them and will try to pay as little as possible to get it. But to your point yes there is definitely easier places to built on. But if we do get GAL, wouldn't it be nice to have our new stadium open right next to the iconic yankee stadium!
Exactly. They will bill the area as a sports Mecca of sorts, totally tie everything together into a village of entertainment. Between the hotel/conference center, possible school, affordable housing, right next to metro north/subways. It’s just too damn perfect for the club, the Yankees, city group, and the city. The fact it’s on private land that does NOT need extensive environmental turn over (think the massive project that would have to happen to clear willets point and make safe and pass for this type of zoning). There’s been a lot of smoke, please let there be fire.

Exactly. They will bill the area as a sports Mecca of sorts, totally tie everything together into a village of entertainment. Between the hotel/conference center, possible school, affordable housing, right next to metro north/subways. It’s just too damn perfect for the club, the Yankees, city group, and the city. The fact it’s on private land that does NOT need extensive environmental turn over (think the massive project that would have to happen to clear willets point and make safe and pass for this type of zoning). There’s been a lot of smoke, please let there be fire.

Maybe someone has some knowledge on this but they're clearly going to have to close 153rd street and possibly change or more the off ramp for the Deegan. What's the impact of that on building on that site? Will it pose delays?

There is really only two feasible sites economically and politically in the City, and both have major engineering and political challenges. Its Yankees Stadium area or Citi Field area.
The engineering difficulties at the Gal/Garage site pale in comparison to having to get a site elsewhere for a stadium, new parking garages, and perhaps new subway infrastructure. All we need here is a stadium.

Reactions: COLINMOUTH
There is really only two feasible sites economically and politically in the City, and both have major engineering and political challenges. Its Yankees Stadium area or Citi Field area.
The engineering difficulties at the Gal/Garage site pale in comparison to having to get a site elsewhere for a stadium, new parking garages, and perhaps new subway infrastructure. All we need here is a stadium.

There's issues at both the GAL/YS & Citi Field/Iron Triangle sites

GAL/YS could have NIMBY issues.
Citi Field / Iron Triangle could take a half a decade to remediate before it can be built on.

The GAL site is a very convenient location for a lot of reasons. But, it will cost more money to build there due to the cramped space.

More importantly, there is a strong potential that the construction will require approvals from more government agencies than building somewhere else. This potentially includes the MTA and the state and/or Federal governments due to building in or over the train tracks and redoing the on ramp to I-87. In NY city/state - with all the corruption, and all the political actors requiring expensive or difficult quid pro quos to do anything - that's a serious impediment.

But, it will cost more money to build there due to the cramped space.
In NY city/state - with all the corruption, and all the political actors requiring expensive or difficult quid pro quos to do anything - that's a serious impediment.
If there's anything that isn't an impediment to CFG, it's anything requiring money as a fix. That goes for engineering issues and, uh, massaging the rules.

Maybe someone has some knowledge on this but they're clearly going to have to close 153rd street and possibly change or more the off ramp for the Deegan. What's the impact of that on building on that site? Will it pose delays?
Building a stadium is one big delay. And there are people called traffic engineers that figure that stuff out.

The GAL site is a very convenient location for a lot of reasons. But, it will cost more money to build there due to the cramped space.

More importantly, there is a strong potential that the construction will require approvals from more government agencies than building somewhere else. This potentially includes the MTA and the state and/or Federal governments due to building in or over the train tracks and redoing the on ramp to I-87. In NY city/state - with all the corruption, and all the political actors requiring expensive or difficult quid pro quos to do anything - that's a serious impediment.
Remediation is NOT cheap. Building materials comparatively are. It’s not cut/dry that GAL is a more expensive endeavor.

Assuming both the Rupert Street Garage and the GAL site are made available. And assuming that Legends Field or whatever the park is we’re made available. Is there a way to reconfigure that area to fit a stadium and still make a park of sorts for the community?

If you knocked down the Rupert St Garage (Macombs Dam Park), assumes Heritage Field, knocked down the parking garage on 153rd St, eliminates 153rd St and then knocked down GAL, you could do everything you wanted. I have no idea why the City would allow that.

Assuming both the Rupert Street Garage and the GAL site are made available. And assuming that Legends Field or whatever the park is we’re made available. Is there a way to reconfigure that area to fit a stadium and still make a park of sorts for the community?

Capture 2019-05-07 10_14_42.png
That's about 10 acres right there, give or take an acre. If I stretch it a little I could get to 11 acres.