Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Rumor is games will be on SNY when we make switch to Citi in future. Nothing finalized yet, but people in the tv industry are talking...
makes sense as YES doesn't have a presence at Citi. Does start to make you wonder if the Yanks have begun the tactical withdrawl from ownership.......

There could be a lot of reasons for a partial or total switch to Citi Field - particularly given the schedule flexibility.

If we are going off the YES Network, however, then it has to mean that the Yankees are planning to exit their ownership of the Club. The Yankees own 26% of YES. They aren't going to give away content for a team they partially own to another network.

Even deeper - Abu Dhabi's sovereign wealth fund owns 13% of YES, and they won't be sending content for a team they own around 80% of to another network.

I suppose the one argument against this is that perhaps as part of any deal to use Citi Field, the Mets want some games shifted to SNY (which the Mets own 65% of).

ETA: I've been a little suspicious of how committed the Yankees are to the NYCFC project. I would have expected more promotion during Yankees broadcasts and in other parts of the organization, but there hasn't been much and what there is seems to be declining. Also, you have the fact that for the second straight year, the MLB schedule has really screwed NYCFC's ability to have weekend games at home. I have to believe that if the Yankees wanted more freedom to operate, MLB would work with them - in particular limiting Monday home games for the Yankees. That the Yankees aren't pushing for this is a sign of indifference at best.

I suppose the one argument against this is that perhaps as part of any deal to use Citi Field, the Mets want some games shifted to SNY (which the Mets own 65% of).
I think the other argument against this is the person who suggested some games move to SNY was IMO mocking the tweet that suggested some games move to Citi Field.

i know yankess probably didnt want to be part of this from get go, but if they said no more i would assume it means 100% were out and not oh half season in our house half season not. of course its still early for next year but still.

Reactions: Kjbert
There could be a lot of reasons for a partial or total switch to Citi Field - particularly given the schedule flexibility.

If we are going off the YES Network, however, then it has to mean that the Yankees are planning to exit their ownership of the Club. The Yankees own 26% of YES. They aren't going to give away content for a team they partially own to another network.

Even deeper - Abu Dhabi's sovereign wealth fund owns 13% of YES, and they won't be sending content for a team they own around 80% of to another network.

ETA: I've been a little suspicious of how committed the Yankees are to the NYCFC project. I would have expected more promotion during Yankees broadcasts and in other parts of the organization, but there hasn't been much and what there is seems to be declining. Also, you have the fact that for the second straight year, the MLB schedule has really screwed NYCFC's ability to have weekend games at home. I have to believe that if the Yankees wanted more freedom to operate, MLB would work with them - in particular limiting Monday home games for the Yankees. That the Yankees aren't pushing for this is a sign of indifference at best.
I don’t think NYCFC games are a money-maker for YES. It’s more of an obligation.

A 47th viewing of the John Sterling Yankeeography probably generates more revenue with no production cost.
Anyway, YES could continue airing the games and pay SNY for the production. Very easily done.

Salt in the wound...

With all the South Bronx East River development we couldn't get a 20,000 seat stadium there?

Reactions: Kjbert
Salt in the wound...

With all the South Bronx East River development we couldn't get a 20,000 seat stadium there?

I’d rather we waited and got Willets Point. Also a few years at Citi feels fresh and new. Breaks up the monotony of years waiting at YS. I’m excited for the change.

I’d rather we waited and got Willets Point. Also a few years at Citi feels fresh and new. Breaks up the monotony of years waiting at YS. I’m excited for the change.

I'm not so sure going from one baseball stadium to another would be enough to make things feel "fresh and new". Definitely don't think it would appease those who are disgruntled at not having a stadium announcement yet. Is willets point even still in the conversation at this point? I thought the GAL site was the last promising rumor? I seem to recall Willets point being a potential site in the past but it got scrapped due to local opposition. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Anyway, there's nothing official about switching to Citi field on a permanent basis at this point I am open to it for a handfull of games if it means we don't have so many congested game weeks due to more schedule flexibility.

Reactions: SanBartG
Did I miss some material information where we all decided Citi Field is actually happening? I thought this was still in the baseless speculation stage.
I'm not so sure going from one baseball stadium to another would be enough to make things feel "fresh and new". Definitely don't think it would appease those who are disgruntled at not having a stadium announcement yet. Is willets point even still in the conversation at this point? I thought the GAL site was the last promising rumor? I seem to recall Willets point being a potential site in the past but it got scrapped due to local opposition. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Anyway, there's nothing official about switching to Citi field on a permanent basis at this point I am open to it for a handfull of games if it means we don't have so many congested game weeks due to more schedule flexibility.

Just posting it into reality. And no site was ever confirmed or shot down (besides Belmont when we lost the RFP). In fact, we had local politicians pulling for soccer in Queens, just with Villa so we assumed it was for QBFC instead. Maybe a shared stadium at WP by MLS/USL started making sense for everyone when QBFC secured the land behind the scenes and gave CFG a JV price tag that was more appealing than GAL's? CFG brings it up to the Yankees who say no way to WP and both parties agree to end their arrangement, both at YS and with YES. To take it a step further, maybe the Wilpons offer to buy the Yankee's share reducing construction costs for CFG and helping ensure access to the parking lots, while befitting the Mets by having a large sports complex (Baseball, Soccer, Tennis) surrounding their crown jewel (Citi Field) along with the eventual renovations of the 7 train stop/new air train terminal. Villa's team can then become the USL affiliate to NYCFC and share both the stadium and new training grounds to be built there*

*This is all speculative fan fiction

Just posting it into reality. And no site was ever confirmed or shot down (besides Belmont when we lost the RFP). In fact, we had local politicians pulling for soccer in Queens, just with Villa so we assumed it was for QBFC instead. Maybe a shared stadium at WP by MLS/USL started making sense for everyone when QBFC secured the land behind the scenes and gave CFG a JV price tag that was more appealing than GAL's? CFG brings it up to the Yankees who say no way to WP and both parties agree to end their arrangement, both at YS and with YES. To take it a step further, maybe the Wilpons offer to buy the Yankee's share reducing construction costs for CFG and helping ensure access to the parking lots, while befitting the Mets by having a large sports complex (Baseball, Soccer, Tennis) surrounding their crown jewel (Citi Field) along with the eventual renovations of the 7 train stop/new air train terminal. Villa's team can then become the USL affiliate to NYCFC and share both the stadium and new training grounds to be built there*

*This is all speculative fan fiction

It would take me the same amount of time to get to willets point as it does to make my way up to the Bronx... so i'm happy either way. I think construction in Queens would also be a lot easier as there is more room to work with whereas it's a bit more cramped at the GAL site. Of course, I know nothing about the logistics of stadium construction so none of that could actually matter.

I just want something announced! too many expansion teams with their fancy new stadiums and renderings and plans... here we are currently top of the east and we don't even have an announcement.

Reactions: hatt91 and adam
It would take me the same amount of time to get to willets point as it does to make my way up to the Bronx... so i'm happy either way. I think construction in Queens would also be a lot easier as there is more room to work with whereas it's a bit more cramped at the GAL site. Of course, I know nothing about the logistics of stadium construction so none of that could actually matter.

I just want something announced! too many expansion teams with their fancy new stadiums and renderings and plans... here we are currently top of the east and we don't even have an announcement.
IF you think we have it rough, talk to NE

IF you think we have it rough, talk to NE

Yea. It's true the revs have it the worst. one of the original MLS clubs and still doesn't have their own stadium. plus, boston isn't half as congested as nyc so it's a wonder why they haven't built one after all these years.

i'll say this though.. if the revs get a SSS before us, i officially quit MLS.

Yea. It's true the revs have it the worst. one of the original MLS clubs and still doesn't have their own stadium. plus, boston isn't half as congested as nyc so it's a wonder why they haven't built one after all these years.

i'll say this though.. if the revs get a SSS before us, i officially quit MLS.
If I were a Revs fan I'd say the same in reverse... they deserve one more than we do. lol

I was talking to a guy at work and telling him about the Citi Field rumors next year, and in doing so came up with a theory about that rumor. Basically, I'm now guessing it was a case where a rumor went through the telephone game and came out mangled. It started with someone saying they heard there is a chance that some if not all playoff games will be played at Citi Field this year, passed through multiple parties and by the time it got to Jonathan Sanchez, whose tweet started it all, it became a rumor about next year. I believe Sanchez knows enough not to be confused in that way, but it easily could have happened before it got to him

I have no evidence for this theory. It still makes sense. As such, it is more going for it than the actual rumor, which has neither evidence nor sense behind it.

I was talking to a guy at work and telling him about the Citi Field rumors next year, and in doing so came up with a theory about that rumor. Basically, I'm now guessing it was a case where a rumor went through the telephone game and came out mangled. It started with someone saying they heard there is a chance that some if not all playoff games will be played at Citi Field this year, passed through multiple parties and by the time it got to Jonathan Sanchez, whose tweet started it all, it became a rumor about next year. I believe Sanchez knows enough not to be confused in that way, but it easily could have happened before it got to him

I have no evidence for this theory. It still makes sense. As such, it is more going for it than the actual rumor, which has neither evidence nor sense behind it.

Didn't someone else mention that there's already chatter about this with the networks and games moving from YES to SNY? That wouldn't happen for the just the playoffs, would it?