Superdraft Attendees - How Did It Go?

einwindir

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Queens, NY
So now that everything is over. Anyone that made the trip, can you give us an idea how it was from an audience perspective? How was the atmosphere? How was the turn out for the other groups? Any problems with the others? How did the chants go? Anything else you would like to share about your experience?

around 00:30:00 NYCFC selects Khiry Shelton
around 02:13:00 NYCFC selects Connor Brandt

Last edited:
Full run down as short and sweet as possible:

On the way down, we went over chants and decided on nixing the long and/or rhythmically complicated songs. We also talked about sticking to the MLS rules for no nonsense in the venue. Some good ideas were tossed around and we will keep working on some of them going forward (with input from as many supporters as are willing to help).

The club took great care of us. When we got there, we quickly made our way to a nearby bar called Field House. We walked in to a room full of Sons of Ben. They welcomed us and even joined in on an anti Pink Cows song. Several of their members came over to talk to us and assure us that they wouldn't hate us until March. It was super laid back.

A group of us took off in an Uber cab to go dress the Rocky statue. The rest stayed and apparently got into a Bearfight with the Sons of Ben. Third Rail won the Bearfight!

We came back from the Rocky statue and met the rest of the group en route to the convention center. We quickly went over conduct rules and then got a nice surprise. The club went to MLS and got permission to raffle off two slots to go meet and greet our 1st round pick. We got tickets and threw them in a hat immediately and the winners were picked. We chanted our way into the center and when we got to the main entrance, the Pink Cows happened to be strolling in.

IT WAS ON!

They chanted at us and booed us and we responded in kind. They made their way to a corner and we stopped in the middle of the room. They threw lame chants at us and really expected nothing in return. They were so wrong. They chanted something about their arena... we came back with "NO ONE GOES THERE! *clap* *clap* *clap-clap-clap*" They chanted "Where's Frank Lampard...?" we came back with "Where's Mike Petke?" and "We don't need Frank to score on you! Do-daaaa Do-daaaa" and "We have as a many cups as you!" (to La Donna e Mobile from Rigoletto). I personally got them riled up with "We can't hear you!" "You need more bass in your voices!" (I served in the military and won drill flight so I can be LOUD.) They were even more fired up because the cameras were all over us. They really relegated themselves to a corner and out of the spotlight.... right where they belong.

We got inside the draft room and MLS had set us up. They sat us behind the Sons of Ben and next to the Pink Cows. OC was in front to the left of Sons of Ben. It actually made sense though. We were the smallest group, so it wouldn't have looked right for the cameras. The Sons joined us again in "If you hate the New York Red Bulls clap your hands!" OC had to stand by and watch in confusion. Then we went at Pink Cows again solo. They really blow. Then OC found it's opening to chime in. Same rehashed chants that the Pink Cows came with. We threw the same chants at them.

The draft started, got our pick and our two guys went backstage to meet him. The picture came out right away and hit the video board in the room MANY times, hit the NYCFC account, etc. Of course, there was no comment on that level of swag mastery. We were the only SG afforded that opportunity.

After the 2nd round pick, we left and went to Fado. We walked in to a "Welcome NYCFC" sign. Niiiiice touch! We got seated and the $10 bucks we paid for the trip got us Smithwick's and a table full of appetizers (which were fantastic). We were all hungry so we scarfed it down, grabbed some more apps on our own (at a mere $5 each how could you not? Beer? A whopping $3.25.) After chatting, eating and drinking for an hour and a half or so, Khiry showed up with his family to hang out with us for a few minutes. Of course, we chanted for him and he seemed to really be thankful for the welcome from the club and from us. He talked with us, took pictures and answered questions for the press. It was awesome! He's never been to NYC before so he can't wait to get to the city.

We made our way back to the bus and headed for home. We talked a little bit, said our mutual thanks and then most people passed out. We spent a lot of energy on the day and it was WELL worth it. An absolutely fantastic time and I'm so glad that I decided to go.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I had a fantastic time. I appreciated the way we were taken care of. We could see, in real time, the stark contrast between our experience and others. OC obviously had great help from their club. It makes sense that more people were there for OC because it's a lot more enticing to take a day off to fly for FREE to Philly than it is to take a bus from NY to a place you've likely been several times before. In addition, work culture in Florida is completely different from NY. We are all go and they are go with the flow. The Pink Cows were on their own. Their club doesn't even like them. They were so disrespectful to the club, commissioner and league. They went to Hard Rock cafe after the draft.

On the way down, we went over chants and decided on nixing the long and/or rhythmically complicated songs. We also talked about sticking to the MLS rules for no nonsense in the venue. Some good ideas were tossed around and we will keep working on some of them going forward (with input from as many supporters as are willing to help).

The club took great care of us. When we got there, we quickly made our way to a nearby bar called Field House. We walked in to a room full of Sons of Ben. They welcomed us and even joined in on an anti Pink Cows song. Several of their members came over to talk to us and assure us that they wouldn't hate us until March. It was super laid back.

A group of us took off in an Uber cab to go dress the Rocky statue. The rest stayed and apparently got into a Bearfight with the Sons of Ben. Third Rail won the Bearfight!

We came back from the Rocky statue and met the rest of the group en route to the convention center. We quickly went over conduct rules and then got a nice surprise. The club went to MLS and got permission to raffle off two slots to go meet and greet our 1st round pick. We got tickets and threw them in a hat immediately and the winners were picked. We chanted our way into the center and when we got to the main entrance, the Pink Cows happened to be strolling in.

IT WAS ON!

They chanted at us and booed us and we responded in kind. They made their way to a corner and we stopped in the middle of the room. They threw lame chants at us and really expected nothing in return. They were so wrong. They chanted something about their arena... we came back with "NO ONE GOES THERE! *clap* *clap* *clap-clap-clap*" They chanted "Where's Frank Lampard...?" we came back with "Where's Mike Petke?" and "We don't need Frank to score on you! Do-daaaa Do-daaaa" and "We have as a many cups as you!" (to La Donna e Mobile from Rigoletto). I personally got them riled up with "We can't hear you!" "You need more bass in your voices!" (I served in the military and won drill flight so I can be LOUD.) They were even more fired up because the cameras were all over us. They really relegated themselves to a corner and out of the spotlight.... right where they belong.

We got inside the draft room and MLS had set us up. They sat us behind the Sons of Ben and next to the Pink Cows. OC was in front to the left of Sons of Ben. It actually made sense though. We were the smallest group, so it wouldn't have looked right for the cameras. The Sons joined us again in "If you hate the New York Red Bulls clap your hands!" OC had to stand by and watch in confusion. Then we went at Pink Cows again solo. They really blow. Then OC found it's opening to chime in. Same rehashed chants that the Pink Cows came with. We threw the same chants at them.

The draft started, got our pick and our two guys went backstage to meet him. The picture came out right away and hit the video board in the room MANY times, hit the NYCFC account, etc. Of course, there was no comment on that level of swag mastery. We were the only SG afforded that opportunity.

After the 2nd round pick, we left and went to Fado. We walked in to a "Welcome NYCFC" sign. Niiiiice touch! We got seated and the $10 bucks we paid for the trip got us Smithwick's and a table full of appetizers (which were fantastic). We were all hungry so we scarfed it down, grabbed some more apps on our own (at a mere $5 each how could you not? Beer? A whopping $3.25.) After chatting, eating and drinking for an hour and a half or so, Khiry showed up with his family to hang out with us for a few minutes. Of course, we chanted for him and he seemed to really be thankful for the welcome from the club and from us. He talked with us, took pictures and answered questions for the press. It was awesome! He's never been to NYC before so he can't wait to get to the city.

We made our way back to the bus and headed for home. We talked a little bit, said our mutual thanks and then most people passed out. We spent a lot of energy on the day and it was WELL worth it. An absolutely fantastic time and I'm so glad that I decided to go.
cant say it better than that

IT WAS ON!

and I BEASTMODED the bearfight....first time a non Union fan won, and the guy who set it up had a custom "Bearfight" jersey....sorry bud

I can't speak for anybody else, but I had a fantastic time. I appreciated the way we were taken care of. We could see, in real time, the stark contrast between our experience and others. OC obviously had great help from their club. It makes sense that more people were there for OC because it's a lot more enticing to take a day off to fly for FREE to Philly than it is to take a bus from NY to a place you've likely been several times before. In addition, work culture in Florida is completely different from NY. We are all go and they are go with the flow. The Pink Cows were on their own. Their club doesn't even like them. They were so disrespectful to the club, commissioner and league. They went to Hard Rock cafe after the draft.
Obviously you have never worked in Florida..... people there aren't a bunch of hipsters....

Reactions: CP_Scouse

Wait they flew for free? How'd they swing that deal?

Off topic, but I clicked that Bearfight link and it claims they invented it in Toledo, OH in 2010? Nah. My friends and I first did a bearfight in Stowe, VT back in 2007, so it's been around since at least then...

Sounds like a whole lot of fun hope to be able to do some away trips that may be planned