2019 By The Numbers: There's A City In My Mind, Come Along

Burning Down The House

All the Magic Numbers read “0.” None of these charts are needed to analyze anything now: Partly because many playoff positions are locked (including NYCFC’s), partly because as of midweek, for the first time since Opening Day, every team has played the same amount of games, and partly because the remaining possibilities are better analyzed by looking at a basic League Table and the matchups on Decision Day. But they help complete a story.

Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.48.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.48.38 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 7.48.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 8.25.05 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-29 at 8.26.16 PM.png
East 9-30-2019.png

It was once upon a place
Sometime I listen to myself
Gonna come in first place

I am completely content with how yesterday played out. Even when you lose 2-0 and want to avoid a tense Decision Day, you can get by with a little help from your friends.

I fully expected NYCFC to not get a result against the Revs. I am very surprised that Columbus helped us out.

3 wins away from the Cup.
We didn’t get a result because we messed with the kitman voodoo and donned the blue jersey. The grey has been money and we were on a streak with it.

Over the first 5 games of the year, NYC had 4 points, and LAFC had 13 points. This includes a 2-2 draw between them.

Since then, NYC has 57 points and LAFC has 56 points.

That's right. Over the last 28 games, NYC has outperformed every other team in MLS, including LAFC.

wouldn't know any of that according to MLS and their LAFC is the greatest team everrrrrrrrrrrr train.

I fully expect us to be given this label next year if we continue our form, which I fully expect us to do. In fact, I expect us to do even better AND make a deep run in CCL.. frozen YS/CitiField grass be damned.

wouldn't know any of that according to MLS and their LAFC is the greatest team everrrrrrrrrrrr train.

I fully expect us to be given this label next year if we continue our form, which I fully expect us to do. In fact, I expect us to do even better AND make a deep run in CCL.. frozen YS/CitiField grass be damned.
Doyle came around late, calling us a steamroller last week, and generally recognizing NYC as best in the East for about a month. He also has a bizarre fixation that Toronto has the best chance to be our Kryptonite in the playoffs, which I really don't get. But lots of people here seem to believe the same thing.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

LAFC has one win in its last 5 or 6 games -- they are slumping at the wrong time, and are ripe for the picking.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Doyle came around late, calling us a steamroller last week, and generally recognizing NYC as best in the East for about a month. He also has a bizarre fixation that Toronto has the best chance to be our Kryptonite in the playoffs, which I really don't get. But lots of people here seem to believe the same thing.

Yes. Doyle has been saying we were MLS cup favs for a month or two now. But when asked who is the best team in the league, he'll go right for LAFC despite the numbers saying we are just as good if not a little better. we just had a slower start to the season with a new coach, new system, some new players.

Over the first 5 games of the year, NYC had 4 points, and LAFC had 13 points. This includes a 2-2 draw between them.

Since then, NYC has 57 points and LAFC has 56 points.

That's right. Over the last 28 games, NYC has outperformed every other team in MLS, including LAFC.
Which is why every game counts and no tilt(s) should be marginalized on importance.

Reactions: canchon and The Toe
LAFC has one win in its last 5 or 6 games -- they are slumping at the wrong time, and are ripe for the picking.
Didn’t their drop in form coincide with Vela’s injury?

There are varied ways to look at the team's start:
Half empty: If Heber were here all season and if Dome figures everything out earlier we could be on par or better than LAFC.
Half full: The 8 draws we managed in the first 13 games won the East for us. We're tied with Atlanta on wins and only 1 ahead of the Union. We won the East because we lost hardly ever, especially at full strength.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Yes. Doyle has been saying we were MLS cup favs for a month or two now. But when asked who is the best team in the league, he'll go right for LAFC despite the numbers saying we are just as good if not a little better. we just had a slower start to the season with a new coach, new system, some new players.
True, there’s an argument to be made for NYCFC as the best team in the league, but is it ridiculous to suggest LAFC is over us?

True, there’s an argument to be made for NYCFC as the best team in the league, but is it ridiculous to suggest LAFC is over us?

Doyle had LAFC finishing 1st in the West; He had NYCFC finishing 8th in the East. Generally, the MLSsoccer.com pundits were more right when it came to LAFC than NYCFC. NYCFC more overperformed their expected placement than LAFC.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Doyle had LAFC finishing 1st in the West; He had NYCFC finishing 8th in the East. Generally, the MLSsoccer.com pundits were more right when it came to LAFC than NYCFC. NYCFC more overperformed their expected placement than LAFC.

In Gator's weekly contest, you cumulatively predicted 7 wins, 10 losses, and 4 draws for 1.19 PPG. You predicted more losses in 21 games than the team had in 34. But keep bashing Doyle for being unduly negative about NYCFC.

Ok, but does that mean we should criticize him when he picks LAFC as the best team in MLS after they clinch supporters shield and have a +46 goal differential?

Again, I think you can argue that we’re better. But I don’t see how we can think he’s ridiculous for saying LAFC is a better team.

Ok, but does that mean we should criticize him when he picks LAFC as the best team in MLS after they clinch supporters shield and have a +46 goal differential?

Again, I think you can argue that we’re better. But I don’t see how we can think he’s ridiculous for saying LAFC is a better team.

I don't judge if someone wants to say lafc is the best in the league. But they gush over lafc like they gush over Josef. They say they are the greatest team ever! No.. way too soon for that.

It's just nonstop fawning when there are other good teams. We are a good team and we barely get mentioned in any conversation until we were first and then they finally had to give in and admit they were wrong.

They're supposed to be neutrals but they gush over who MLS tells them to gush over. This year that's lafc , vela, Josef, and zlatan.

I don't judge if someone wants to say lafc is the best in the league. But they gush over lafc like they gush over Josef. They say they are the greatest team ever! No.. way too soon for that.

It's just nonstop fawning when there are other good teams. We are a good team and we barely get mentioned in any conversation until we were first and then they finally had to give in and admit they were wrong.

They're supposed to be neutrals but they gush over who MLS tells them to gush over. This year that's lafc , vela, Josef, and zlatan.
Those are probably 4 worth gushing over, no?

LAFC - can break the MLS single season points record, is currently +5 on the single season Goal Differential record

Vela - has already broken the single season goals and goals+assists record (while missing significant time)

Zlatan - is 1 goal away from the previous single season goals record

Josef - scored in 15 straight matches and is 4 away from the previous single season goals record (his) and has missed significant time

I don’t see why pundits wouldn’t be fawning over these 4

LAFC was runaway dominant right up until they essentially clinched everything. Like historically dominant.
They had some injuries and nothing to play for recently so they took their foot off the gas s bit, but overall they were outrageously good all season.

Reactions: Marito