Take the EOS NY Soccer Census

im probably deviating the thread....but in terms of your content....is there/was a plan to cover the local cosmopolitan league? i know its amateur and stuff but it be cool to cover not just the pro teams but local amateur leagues too.

If we had the resources (aka $$$) I would do it, no question. The problem is, we don't -- and enticing a young writer to come aboard pro bono to cover amateurs is near impossible. Again, wish we could -- but next step for the site has to be getting an angel investor/partner.

Reactions: adam and Goodfella
Interesting data, aside from what has been discussed I thought two things were interesting:

1. From the data about what national team fans follow it appears that NYCFC has been a bit unsuccessful in capturing the large Mexican national team fan base that is present in the city. Would a Mexican national team player help? Is the data misleading because this segment of NYCFC fans just didn't take the survey? Do most of these fans already follow Liga MX teams or teams from other leagues that they can easily find ways to watch so they will never really care about the MLS?

2. As the article points out the geographical divide seems pretty clear, RB owns NJ, NYC owns fans in the 5 boroughs. Do the majority of the RB fans prefer the NY name because they associate with the NY metro area or would the team be better off embracing their NJ fanbase and adjusting the name to represent them?

Interesting data, aside from what has been discussed I thought two things were interesting:

1. From the data about what national team fans follow it appears that NYCFC has been a bit unsuccessful in capturing the large Mexican national team fan base that is present in the city. Would a Mexican national team player help?

It certainly didn't help Red Bull when they brought in Rafa Marquez. Could check LAG attendance to see if they've moved up with the addition of Dos Santos. Personally, I think Mexicans in the US hang tight to their Liga MX loyalty. Tough cookie to crack and get into that YUUUUUUGE market.

It certainly didn't help Red Bull when they brought in Rafa Marquez. Could check LAG attendance to see if they've moved up with the addition of Dos Santos. Personally, I think Mexicans in the US hang tight to their Liga MX loyalty. Tough cookie to crack and get into that YUUUUUUGE market.

I can see attendance growing BIGLY if they do go for a Mex DP.

2. As the article points out the geographical divide seems pretty clear, RB owns NJ, NYC owns fans in the 5 boroughs. Do the majority of the RB fans prefer the NY name because they associate with the NY metro area or would the team be better off embracing their NJ fanbase and adjusting the name to represent them?
Excellent question, and one I recently thought of while reading the Robles thread. I would think embracing all that is NJ and market it for all its worth, would bring in more fans. I know the Red Bulls want NY as a marketing ploy, and it certainly feels more like that than anything, but I think they are better off trying to get more fans in Jersey to embrace the team than they are NY'ers.

Excellent question, and one I recently thought of while reading the Robles thread. I would think embracing all that is NJ and market it for all its worth, would bring in more fans. I know the Red Bulls want NY as a marketing ploy, and it certainly feels more like that than anything, but I think they are better off trying to get more fans in Jersey to embrace the team than they are NY'ers.
What's the bigger priority - more fans of their soccer team or more fans of their drink? NJRB might bring in more soccer fans from the Jersey side of the river. But RB--NY is a bigger draw for marketing the drink.

(And yes. It was a rhetorical question.)

Reactions: SoupInNYC

1. From the data about what national team fans follow it appears that NYCFC has been a bit unsuccessful in capturing the large Mexican national team fan base that is present in the city. Would a Mexican national team player help? Is the data misleading because this segment of NYCFC fans just didn't take the survey? Do most of these fans already follow Liga MX teams or teams from other leagues that they can easily find ways to watch so they will never really care about the MLS?

depends who they get.....when gio came to town not many mexico fans came around ( at least from what i remember seeing in terms of jerseys). however there are a few mexico fans that are nycfc fans already. there may be more but i only know of a few.

depends who they get.....when gio came to town not many mexico fans came around ( at least from what i remember seeing in terms of jerseys). however there are a few mexico fans that are nycfc fans already. there may be more but i only know of a few.

How about Carlos Vela in a year or two?

How about Carlos Vela in a year or two?

iffy....some see him as someone who is not passionate at all for the sport. even with the talent he has. to be fair to him though he has mentioned it....this is a job to him, his passion i think he said was basketball...thats why he was always at nba games anytime he comes to the US on vacation.

plus all the denied call ups to the national team has many people disliking him.

Reactions: JayH and sbrylski

Unfortunately, I was too late to take the survey but really great to see that data. Interestingly, I would have been "against the grain" for most of the majority responses the survey received. I would have been a 45th NJ resident taking the survey as an NYCFC fan. I grew up a Metrostars fan, and have been an MLS fan for a good 15 years at least now. Since Metrostars (and before NYCFC ) I've just been a die-hard fan of the league and watching every game I could.

Honestly, the fact that they are the NEW YORK Red Bulls are one of the two primary reasons I didn't end up a Red Bulls fan. I know it sounds really strange that I'd then become an NYCFC fan... but I'd rather root for a team that doesn't play in my state at all than a team that plays in my state but doesn't acknowledge that fact (at least give me NY/NJ). The second primary reason is that they are just a giant commercial, and I couldn't deal with that AND the lack of NJ acknowledgment. I may have been able to deal with one or the other, but definitely not both. I WISHED for so long that RBNY would change their branding... it absolutely killed me that the closest MLS team to me was just a team I could not root for. Anyway, now I'm an NYCFC founder/season ticket holder, so RBNY missed their shot at me for good. Side note: my one brother is a Red Bulls fan, and we are constantly battling to win our other two brothers to our respective side.

I would kill to see any data on just fans in NJ, who they root for, and why they root for that team / why they don't root for another. I'm really curious how many other fans there are out there. You'd think Red Bulls would do this sort of research, but I guess they're more interested in selling energy drinks. I also thought the question regarding who's an avid fan of a team from another league was fascinating... I'd love to see a follow up question regarding a) which of their teams is their favorite / top priority (MLS vs. other league), and b) how many stop being fans of those other-league teams b/c their MLS fandom grows (or at least prioritize MLS more).

[Added note 1: Forgot to mention that I also "converted" a NJ friend who was a casual RBNY to ditch them and buy into the season tickets to NYCFC with me. So I'm definitely not the only one who feels that way about red bulls branding, lack of NJ acknowledgment).]

[Added note 2: I think it'll also be really interesting to watch how these numbers and survey results change as Hoboken/Jersey City increasingly become a "6th borough" of NYC. I have a lot of friends (not all of whom are originally from NY) that have gradually been priced out of brookyln or other areas, and have moved to JC/Hoboken. Jersey City's population in particular is exploding, and it will soon pass Newark as the most populated NJ city.]

[Added note 3: LMAO does this forum automatically convert R.B.N.Y. to RBNJ? Haha.]

Last edited:
You'd think Red Bulls would do this sort of research
Maybe they *did* do the research and don't want to share the results.

And I agree with practically everything you said (although I'm a New Yorker). I've always loved soccer and wanted to root for the Metrostars but they just for me weren't really a New York team. When they became the Red Bulls that just got them a gigantic eye roll. As soon as NYCFC was announced I was totally on board, despite not really having been an MLS fan previously.

At least the Jets and the Giants started out life in New York, but it's got to feel a little odd to be from New Jersey and have them try to sell you a New Jersey soccer team that has a New York name.

When the Nets moved to New Jersey they changed the name of the team. They didn't still call them the New York Nets. And when they moved back to New York they're the Brooklyn Nets, as they should be. That's a team that got it right. I rest my case.

Last edited:
And I agree with practically everything you said (although I'm a New Yorker). I've always loved soccer and wanted to root for the Metrostars but they just for me weren't really a New York team. When they became the Red Bulls that just got them a gigantic eye roll. As soon as NYCFC was announced I was totally on board, despite not really having been an MLS fan previously.

I'll concur with this too. If you had stopped me on the street prior to 2006 and asked me who my favorite soccer team was, I probably would have said "oh, the Metrostars I guess...". I never went to any of their games, but I likely could have been won over if they had any real presence on this side of the Hudson. When they rebranded in 2006, though, that was what forever snuffed out that potential spark of fandom for me and left me completely indifferent to soccer (aside from World Cup viewing parties) for another eight years.

Reactions: Ulrich
Maybe they *did* do the research and don't want to share the results.

At least the Jets and the Giants started out life in New York, but it's got to feel a little odd to be from New Jersey and have them try to sell you a New Jersey soccer team that has a New York name.

When the Nets moved to New Jersey they changed the name of the team. They didn't still call them the New York Nets. And when they moved back to New York they're the Brooklyn Nets, as they should be. That's a team that got it right. I rest my case.

I still don't get it. Could you imagine the San Francisco Raiders?? Or the Washington Ravens? The Milwaukee Packers, or better the Chicago Packers??? You can't just re-name your team based on a nearby area with better demographics. And the locals in those cities would never stand for it. I'm not sure why more NJ residents like NYCFC_JD NYCFC_JD don't stand up and voice their dispointment and show some home state pride. I don't live there, but all jokes aside, NJ is actually a lovely state, with a rich history. Teams should be ashamed if they won't acknowledge that or where they come from.

I still don't get it. Could you imagine the San Francisco Raiders?? Or the Washington Ravens? The Milwaukee Packers, or better the Chicago Packers??? You can't just re-name your team based on a nearby area with better demographics. And the locals in those cities would never stand for it. I'm not sure why more NJ residents like NYCFC_JD NYCFC_JD don't stand up and voice their dispointment and show some home state pride. I don't live there, but all jokes aside, NJ is actually a lovely state, with a rich history. Teams should be ashamed if they won't acknowledge that or where they come from.
Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Angels, off the top of my head.

Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Angels, off the top of my head.

California is the Golden State. Like a New York team calling themselves Empire State ____. Or ironically a supporters group from NJ.

Angles are technically the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. They started out playing in LA. Then moved to Anaheim and renamed themselves the California Angels accordingly. They then later renamed themselves the Anaheim Angels. And now the LA Angels of Anaheim. Maybe I should start saying the New York Red Bulls of New Jersey.

I also thought the question regarding who's an avid fan of a team from another league was fascinating... I'd love to see a follow up question regarding a) which of their teams is their favorite / top priority (MLS vs. other league), and b) how many stop being fans of those other-league teams b/c their MLS fandom grows (or at least prioritize MLS more).

This was a question I had difficulty with answering, because I think the intent of the question was to gauge interest in soccer overseas. I would consider myself an "avid" fan of the Bundesliga and PL because I watch them quite a lot on Saturday and Sunday mornings. But I wouldn't consider myself an "avid" fan of a particular team. There are a few that I generally root for (teams that have Americans on them, I pull for MCFC a bit but don't consider myself a fan, and now SWANSEA).

[Added note 2: I think it'll also be really interesting to watch how these numbers and survey results change as Hoboken/Jersey City increasingly become a "6th borough" of NYC. I have a lot of friends (not all of whom are originally from NY) that have gradually been priced out of brookyln or other areas, and have moved to JC/Hoboken. Jersey City's population in particular is exploding, and it will soon pass Newark as the most populated NJ city.]

I got season tickets with my roommate at the time for last year and this year. He has since moved out and to Jersey City but is still an NYCFC fan obviously. Agree that Hoboken and Jersey City will become increasingly blue over the years.

California is the Golden State. Like a New York team calling themselves Empire State ____. Or ironically a supporters group from NJ.

Angles are technically the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. They started out playing in LA. Then moved to Anaheim and renamed themselves the California Angels accordingly. They then later renamed themselves the Anaheim Angels. And now the LA Angels of Anaheim. Maybe I should start saying the New York Red Bulls of New Jersey.
Still changes away from the actual city in the name of demographics, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

I'm going to start using this in conversation. It rolls off the tongue nicely!
There precedent for it - At one point in time there existed the NY/NJ Metrostars..... so at least the original owners weren't trying to be snake oil salesmen.

Reactions: Goodfella and adam