Team Name/Nickname

NYCFC_JD

Registered
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 13, 2016
Hello fellow fans!! I'm brand new to the forum, so sincere apologies if I'm breaking protocol by starting a new thread, in general and/or on this topic (I searched and couldn't find one on this topic). What are your thoughts on the team name/nickname? I understand this is a very long post, so thanks in advance for reading and considering. (And as a side note, I've heard that folks were considering dubbing the supporters section "The Stoop". I'm not sure where that originated, but I love it, personally.) Anyway....

I've seen articles that the team was/is hoping a nickname would come about organically... and from time to time I've heard bits and pieces regarding the team name/nickname. I've seen reference to "Cityzens" in certain materials, but really not sure if they intend that to refer to the team or us (the fans). New York City FC is currently all the team is known by generally, as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I somehow missed a STH memo on this.

Now, the "FC" vs. "SC" debate is one that I have extremely strong feelings on, but I know everyone has their own opinion, and I'm not even going to share mine on that particular point (at least not in this post). Mostly, I think either is just a bit bland if that's all you're using and, if for no other reason than the strong divide between the FC and SC crowd, I think they should drop the FC and use a more traditional American "mascot" name.

I've thought about this long and hard, as I'm sure many of us have. I fully understand this might be an exercise in futility (if the club and CFG don't want change), but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Here's a list of some of the names I thought would be great. In general, I was focusing a lot on what I think makes NYC great, what it stands for, what residents of NYC stand for. On some of them, I was focusing a lot on some of the greatest people in the city (especially in recent years) - the police, firemen, emergency responders, etc. etc. On others, I was going for alliteration because I just think it sounds great and rolls of the tongue nicely. Last factor was how I thought it would sound in conversation and chants. Here's the list (somewhat in order of my preferences):

1. New York City Guardians or New York Guardians (based on our men and women in uniform)
2. New York City Shepherds (central park used to be a sheep meadow, and wherever the team goes, us fans will follow)
3. New York City Samaritans (somewhat flows from the city/cityzens idea, but it's more unique and positive. It represents the citizens as leaders/protectors, generous/charitable, etc., which I think represents the people of NYC)
4. New York City Strikers (speaks for itself. I understand Ft. Lauderdale conflict, but they're in NASL so I'm not incredibly concerned about it, though there might be intellectual property / legal conflicts)
5. New York City Swans (a more traditional animal moniker, with a simple/graceful animal that is present in the city. Represents an attractive/graceful style of play, the graceful people of NYC, and just a classy/simple emblem)
6. New York City Souls / Spirit (because NYC and the people here have more of it than anywhere else)
Others:: (New York City...)
- Supers
- Serpents
- Heart / Valor
- Saviors
- Serpents
- Heros
- Immigrants / Internationals (melting pot!) / Cosmopolitans (conflict with the Cosmos, I'm sure)
- Watchmen
- Squirrels (somewhat similar to swan explanation above)
- Fleet

You're more than welcome to start a new thread and foster a discussion.
Tough to say what an official nickname is. I think the consensus is that we don't want anything weird and it should be city specific.
Most people refer to us as NYC or City.
It's been pretty simple so far. Blues even.
The supporters have been a bit more creative with names for themselves.

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
Thanks for the reply, Dan. Looks like you've done a great job fostering and leading a lot of discussion here. The forum is great.

I'd love to see the fans collectively get a say in the actual/official nickname... eventually a poll (of STH, supporters, or anyone/everyone). For now, I suppose just an interesting discussion piece and a hope that it could eventually grow into more. Would be amazing to hear other fans' thoughts!

Also I don't think you're going to get a nickname/mascot as an official name because MLS is leaning away from that. They're trying to modernize and go the familiar route. All these new teams are SC/FC. NYCFC, OCSC, ATLU, Minnesota.. And so on.

What Dan said (Blues, City). Also Pigeons. Those are used, but nobody has settled on anything. NYCFC is kind of a mouthful to use all the time.

Hi Gotham. Really appreciate both of you sharing your thoughts. Pigeons - that's interesting. Very unique, very New York, and underrated. Kind of like it.

I've definitely noticed the recent trend of expansion teams forgoing a mascot name for the United, Sc, Fc, etc. Based on reading mls site comments and other forums, fans hate it though. It's boring, corporate, and soulless. It's exactly what our club needs to avoid (because they're already accused of being those things). I understand that MLS leadership is terrified of not being taken seriously and being seen as MLS 1.0 with funny team nicknames, but it gives everything flavor. And you don't have to pick a cheesy nickname (some in the past were definitely worse than others).

Uniqueness and flavor and culture takes time to catch on but it leads to success and popularity. Look at the most successful clubs and fan bases in the league ... Portland Timbers, LA Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, even Sporting KC is more unique (without being the 1.0 wizards).

It could definitely be an uphill battle for an official name, but at least an unofficial one would be good to start. Sounds like there's already some buzz out there amongst fans which is great. The league and club might have a vision of a standard/uniform/corporate formula, but I don't think we should worry about what is. We should worry about what we want. What do we want? Democracy takes time and is messy, but eventually it leads to everything being better and getting more buy in. That's something this club needs to realize, fast. This is a topic of another post, but CFG so far has made it clear that they want to be about the corporate top-down approach, which (I think) fans have universally shown disdain for and will continue to reject.

You're more than welcome to start a new thread and foster a discussion.
Tough to say what an official nickname is. I think the consensus is that we don't want anything weird and it should be city specific.
Most people refer to us as NYC or City.
It's been pretty simple so far. Blues even.
The supporters have been a bit more creative with names for themselves.
I only see the City fans among us call the team City. It's mostly Blues and in Spanish it's Celestes that about it.

There's no reason to obsess over the "official" name. An organic nickname grows from the bottom up. If the fans call the team the "Blues" and people know what they are referring to, then that's what the team is called. There's no waiting around for an official stamp from some corporate executive.

I only see the City fans among us call the team City. It's mostly Blues and in Spanish it's Celestes that about it.

I use "City" and I couldn't give two shits about Manchester City or English soccer in general. Maybe that's why I'm ok using it.

There's no reason to obsess over the "official" name. An organic nickname grows from the bottom up. If the fans call the team the "Blues" and people know what they are referring to, then that's what the team is called. There's no waiting around for an official stamp from some corporate executive.

I use "City" and I couldn't give two shits about Manchester City or English soccer in general. Maybe that's why I'm ok using it.
I stand corrected but I don't see it a lot it's mostly Blues, on reddit they want pigeons to stick I don't think that will happen.

For me, "City" just screams of the mothership, and I want anything but that. That's maybe the biggest reason I would love to see an unofficial or official nickname... so we have something unique, something that's not a hand-me down from Manchester. I've always been a diehard MLS fan and not had a team to pull for, so I was thrilled when this team came along. I don't want to be an EPL team clone or B squad or farm team or anything else. Giving us our own flavor, something that is uniquely New York and that fans can get behind is important.

Good to know what various different groups have started calling the team. Very interesting. Just out of curiosity, besides what you've all heard people call it, what would you like to see? What's your preference? Any original ideas out there? I'd love to hear your ideas and your thoughts on mine in the original post (even if you hate them, honestly). Thanks all!

Hello fellow fans!! I'm brand new to the forum, so sincere apologies if I'm breaking protocol by starting a new thread, in general and/or on this topic (I searched and couldn't find one on this topic). What are your thoughts on the team name/nickname? I understand this is a very long post, so thanks in advance for reading and considering. (And as a side note, I've heard that folks were considering dubbing the supporters section "The Stoop". I'm not sure where that originated, but I love it, personally.) Anyway....

I've seen articles that the team was/is hoping a nickname would come about organically... and from time to time I've heard bits and pieces regarding the team name/nickname. I've seen reference to "Cityzens" in certain materials, but really not sure if they intend that to refer to the team or us (the fans). New York City FC is currently all the team is known by generally, as far as I can tell. Please correct me if I somehow missed a STH memo on this.

Now, the "FC" vs. "SC" debate is one that I have extremely strong feelings on, but I know everyone has their own opinion, and I'm not even going to share mine on that particular point (at least not in this post). Mostly, I think either is just a bit bland if that's all you're using and, if for no other reason than the strong divide between the FC and SC crowd, I think they should drop the FC and use a more traditional American "mascot" name.

I've thought about this long and hard, as I'm sure many of us have. I fully understand this might be an exercise in futility (if the club and CFG don't want change), but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts. Here's a list of some of the names I thought would be great. In general, I was focusing a lot on what I think makes NYC great, what it stands for, what residents of NYC stand for. On some of them, I was focusing a lot on some of the greatest people in the city (especially in recent years) - the police, firemen, emergency responders, etc. etc. On others, I was going for alliteration because I just think it sounds great and rolls of the tongue nicely. Last factor was how I thought it would sound in conversation and chants. Here's the list (somewhat in order of my preferences):

1. New York City Guardians or New York Guardians (based on our men and women in uniform)
2. New York City Shepherds (central park used to be a sheep meadow, and wherever the team goes, us fans will follow)
3. New York City Samaritans (somewhat flows from the city/cityzens idea, but it's more unique and positive. It represents the citizens as leaders/protectors, generous/charitable, etc., which I think represents the people of NYC)
4. New York City Strikers (speaks for itself. I understand Ft. Lauderdale conflict, but they're in NASL so I'm not incredibly concerned about it, though there might be intellectual property / legal conflicts)
5. New York City Swans (a more traditional animal moniker, with a simple/graceful animal that is present in the city. Represents an attractive/graceful style of play, the graceful people of NYC, and just a classy/simple emblem)
6. New York City Souls / Spirit (because NYC and the people here have more of it than anywhere else)
Others:: (New York City...)
- Supers
- Serpents
- Heart / Valor
- Saviors
- Serpents
- Heros
- Immigrants / Internationals (melting pot!) / Cosmopolitans (conflict with the Cosmos, I'm sure)
- Watchmen
- Squirrels (somewhat similar to swan explanation above)
- Fleet

My guess is you work for the team

Reactions: Ulrich and Rimil

Haha. Definitely do not work for the team. Why do you say that?? Not sure if I should take that as an insult or complement lol.

I just feel passionately about the team and I think the team name, colors, nickname goes a long way in making the team what it is. I definitely wouldn't complain about working for the team or league if that meant getting some say, but unfortunately that's not the case. I'm temporarily in upstate NY, so couldn't do it even if I wanted.

Reactions: northernburbs
Actually, quick aside on that topic... Does the team really know that this site exists (and participate?). They developed the new City Voice site which is way worse than this (but I suppose gives them total control).

I don't think any of the suggestions you posted are going to stick. Comically we're known as the pigeons. Besides that it's always New York City FC, NYCFC, New York City, NYC. City, rarely.

I don't think any of the suggestions you posted are going to stick. Comically we're known as the pigeons. Besides that it's always New York City FC, NYCFC, New York City, NYC. City, rarely.
Thanks for the reply, Lion. Pleasure to meet you. Do you personally like having it just as those that you mentioned -- New York City FC, NYCFC, New York City, etc., or do you just think that's the way it is??