Team Name/Nickname

Personally I'm over the name myself.
But it is still annoying when I keep having the same variant on this back and forth when I try to talk about the club to people who are unfamiliar with it. They may not be the target audience, but the club made things needlessly difficult.

- I've got an extra ticket for NYCFC, wanna come? [or I can't meet you ___ because I'm taking my daughter to NYCFC, or whatever to get it started]
- What's that?
- A new major league soccer team in New York; they play at Yankee Stadium.
- What's their name?
- NYCFC
- What''s FC?
- Football Club
- Like the Giants and Jets?
- No, soccer.
- But they say football.
- Yes.
- That's their whole name?
- Yes.
- eyeroll

Before I get to talk about how exciting it is, or the great atmosphere, I've lost them. Again, I realize these people are not the target audience, but sometimes you're forcing things too much when you play to your niche.
I'm a staunch (American) football fan. Its by far my favorite sport, and I am not put off by New York City Football Club. Some people you can reason with, and some you cannot. Nevertheless, I understand your point.

I disagree. While the organization has not been perfect, they've done many things right. They've put a soccer/football (whatever you want to call it) club in the middle of NYC. They're building a culture with this city and this club and attempting to put a winning team on the pitch. They offer great incentives like Cityzen point seat upgrades, which I just used at the last match. For their $100 Million + investment, I'm wiling to allow them some global branding and tie in to MCFC. They do listen to fans as evidenced by the call I received from a fan rep asking how my upgrade experience was, emails from City Voice looking for input on merchandise and game experience. Further evidenced by the many visits my section has received last year and this year from Mike Minchella, head of ticket sales, checking in with us. If I was as hung up on the negatives as you, I'd have a hard time enjoying being a fan. Have a beer, watch your local club and chill.

Haha, a beer never hurts, and I really do enjoy watching the team play. I love the players, and I don't think the organization's done everything wrong either. I'm not caught up in the negatives, just living with my eyes open. I just think you're more willing to let their b.s. slide, and kudos to you for being able to do that. I wish I could ignore that side of it and just enjoy 100%, but I really want to love the organization too, not just the team.

And I know I've been ranting in some comments in the discussion, but it's just because I care. I understand that some folks in this forum don't like anything negative said about the team, but I'm not some Red Bulls or DCU fan in here bashing our team... This is my team, too. I've been waiting forever for an MLS team to get behind whole heartedly. Isn't the discussion of the good and the bad what this forum is for? I hope we can all respect each other as fellow fans and have constructive conversations here. I want the team and the organization to excel (if done right, this market should eventually be competing with and surpassing the attendance numbers Seattle is seeing). We should all have a say in the club, not just be customers, and I'm just putting my two cents in. All in all, I truly hope you're right. I hope the organization cares (I absolutely agree that many, many of the employees do, at least) about the fan experience and what we want. Personally, what I want is a little less "City" and a little more NY.

Last edited:
I use "City" and I couldn't give two shits about Manchester City or English soccer in general. Maybe that's why I'm ok using it.

Exactly.

Someone here on the forum got all bent with me last week because I called NYCFC "City".

I've never attended an EPL match (likely never will) and I don't watch the matches because they're on at the same time I'm coaching my sons soccer games on Saturday morning.

MLS is my league. It's what I relate to.

City it is for me.

Exactly.

Someone here on the forum got all bent with me last week because I called NYCFC "City".

I've never attended an EPL match (likely never will) and I don't watch the matches because they're on at the same time I'm coaching my sons soccer games on Saturday morning.

MLS is my league. It's what I relate to.

City it is for me.

This is exactly how I feel. I often refer to us as "City", and I could give two shits about the sister club in Manchester.

This is exactly how I feel. I often refer to us as "City", and I could give two shits about the sister club in Manchester.

I think their a general divide within the fans on the relationship with Manchester City, their a group who don't want to know about City and their another group who appreciate their contribution

There are about 47 clubs that go by "City," at least locally. So it's not really a MCFC hand-me-down but part of wider tradition. We'll never own it. So I don't mind it being used but I would also like to have something more unique as well.

Reactions: joe
There are about 47 clubs that go by "City," at least locally. So it's not really a MCFC hand-me-down but part of wider tradition. We'll never own it. So I don't mind it being used but I would also like to have something more unique as well.
I tend to think there's an extremely subtle dig embedded in the name that flies over the collective heads of the narcissistic Kosmos believers:

NYCFC = Not Your Cosmos F'cking Club -or- Not Yesteryear's Cosmos Football Club ???

I tend to think there's an extremely subtle dig embedded in the name that flies over the collective heads of the narcissistic Kosmos believers:

NYCFC = Not Your Cosmos F'cking Club -or- Not Yesteryear's Cosmos Football Club ???
Best post ever.

Anyone know the latest on the informal (or any formal) naming of the supporters section? Stoop? Coop? Anything else out there?

The Bleachers.
Hey Lion. Sorry if I'm being dense, but are you being sarcastic, or are some fans actually just calling them "The Bleachers". Not much of a nickname for a supporter's section haha.

Hey Lion. Sorry if I'm being dense, but are you being sarcastic, or are some fans actually just calling them "The Bleachers". Not much of a nickname for a supporter's section haha.
it's sort of like a hipster anti-name, as long as it's referenced as a capital "B" or maybe the preceding "the" is not used . . .

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
If you want to spend some time , there was at least one extended discussion about naming the supporters section way back in either 2014 or 2015 preseason. I also remember people started arguing over certain names. I think "The Stoop" was one point of contention, as someone claimed it for his section and said the supporters section couldn''t have it. Or maybe it was a different name. But it basically turned into the stupid fighting-over-name nonsense that Joe Cabot railed against in Reservoir Dogs. Never really got ugly because there were no consequences and no enforcement but it was amusingly petty.
Much like we are sometimes today.

Thanks all! Yea, it'll be interesting to see how the name of the supporters section develops. I think something might come along and stick when we have our own stadium.... maybe it'll be linked to the particular borough or neighborhood we end up in.

And since we have all weekend with no NYC game (so, so sad), anyone else out there have particular thoughts on a team nickname/mascot? For or against it? Specific ideas for what you'd like?

But it basically turned into the stupid fighting-over-name nonsense that Joe Cabot railed against in Reservoir Dogs. Never really got ugly because there were no consequences and no enforcement but it was amusingly petty.
And also possibly because we're all not heavily armed when we come to the forum.

Well, at least I *think* we're not.

Reactions: mgarbowski