Team Name/Nickname

Thanks for the reply, Lion. Pleasure to meet you. Do you personally like having it just as those that you mentioned -- New York City FC, NYCFC, New York City, etc., or do you just think that's the way it is??

You're welcome. (We have the same initials). I'm neutral towards towards New York City FC and all combinations thereof. It's our name. Obviously as I was born here, raised here, live him I'm proud of my city and it's name. Orlando City SC has the lions because its in their logo, their mascot, even though its not in their name. Same reasoning with the Gunners and Arsenal. We're just the NYC monogram.

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
You're welcome. (We have the same initials). I'm neutral towards towards New York City FC and all combinations thereof. It's our name. Obviously as I was born here, raised here, live him I'm proud of my city and it's name. Orlando City SC has the lions because its in their logo, their mascot, even though its not in their name. Same reasoning with the Gunners and Arsenal. We're just the NYC monogram.

You have great initials then! haha. Definitely see what you're saying, and absolutely just the name New York City should make us all proud. I think you raise a really good point with Orlando City SC... their name is just that, but they have the additional elements in their logo, mascot, etc. For us right now, it's just the New York City in the name, crest, and everything else. There's no other dimension, so it's bland. I love "New York City" but that's just where we're from and where we play...... I guess as an American sports fan, I just need something else. I need a nickname, I need an emblem, a mascot... something, anything. Sad to say but I feel like the way CFG decided to brand this team from the start showed no originality and no fan input (you see other expansion sides having polls and input far more than we had), and now any changes are an uphill battle.

I'm sad to hear you don't think any of the names I listed would catch on, but appreciate your honest opinion! And this absolutely isn't about the names I came up with - I'd be very happy to have someone else out there have something catch attention and grow. Sounds like some have... Blues, Pigeons, etc.... so I guess we'll see where it goes. Would love to hear from others! My favorite of mine, I think, is probably New York City Samaritans, or New York City Shepherds.

You have great initials then! haha. Definitely see what you're saying, and absolutely just the name New York City should make us all proud. I think you raise a really good point with Orlando City SC... there name is just that, but they have the additional elements in their logo, mascot, etc. For us right now, it's just the New York City in the name, crest, and everything else. There's no other dimension, so it's bland. I love "New York City" but that's just where we're from and where we play...... I guess as an American sports fan, I just need something else. I need a nickname, I need an emblem, a mascot... something, anything. Sad to say but I feel like the way CFG decided to brand this team from the start showed no originality and no fan input (you see other expansion sides having polls and input far more than we had), and now any changes are an uphill battle.

I'm sad to hear you don't think any of the names I list would catch, but appreciate your honest opinion! And this absolutely isn't about the names I came up with - I'd be very happy to have someone else out there have something catch attention and grow. Sounds like some have... Blues, Pigeons, etc.... so I guess we'll see where it goes. Would love to hear from others! My favorite of mine, I think, is probably New York City Samaritans, or New York City Shepherds.

As American sports fan we accustomed to city and mascot. I think this is due to the plethora of leagues in this country. What other country has four "major" leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) plus growing ones like MLS, and college sports. You can say you support the Lions or San Francisco and that can mean Orlando City, Detroit Lions, Columbia University, etc and the SF Giants, SF 49ers.

I think CFG's branding wants consistency which is fine with me. I support New York CITY FC before Manchester CITY FC. I just want a team that wins that's in New York. There is no professional sports team named New York City though, so that's actually original, kind of.

As American sports fan we accustomed to city and mascot. I think this is due to the plethora of leagues in this country. What other country has four "major" leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) plus growing ones like MLS, and college sports. You can say you support the Lions or San Francisco and that can mean Orlando City, Detroit Lions, Columbia University, etc and the SF Giants, SF 49ers.

I think CFG's branding wants consistency which is fine with me. I support New York CITY FC before Manchester CITY FC. I just want a team that wins that's in New York. There is no professional sports team named New York City though, so that's actually original, kind of.

Oh are you a Man City fan? J/w. And no judgment here , I'm just curious (I saw a couple discussion threads that got heated over the topic). I 100% agree that most important thing is the team, and having one here that's a winning team, and being able to connect with the players. The name/feel of the club is big for me, though.

As the MLS and NYC continue to grow and need to reach more and more fans, you're automatically trying to get casual fans, and convert fans of other sports, etc. So falling in line with the way we do things here traditionally -- City_Mascot -- will go a long way. I'm just picturing having a convo with someone and being like "I'm heading to the New York City game on Saturday" and them having no clue what I'm saying haha. I think the biggest problem is that the club doesn't want to fall in line with the American way of doing things because the owners aren't American. That's why they went with FC instead of SC, too. My preference is definitely SC, btw -- last time I checked, there are millions of kids playing youth soccer. I understand it's called football everywhere else, but that's not what matters to me. Just like if I'm waiting for coffee in London, I'm in the queue, but here I'm in the line. I feel like we should always respect the language and culture of where we are. So, CFG got that one wrong IMHO, and that's one of the many reasons I want the mascot name, too, to be honest... because I'd prefer almost anything to the FC.

Also -- you'll probably know this -- I see on the front discussion page that there's a section showing "Season Ticket Holders Online". How does a STH get designated as a STH on this site? Do I need to confirm it somehow? Thanks! And great chatting with you!!

Haha. Definitely do not work for the team. Why do you say that?? Not sure if I should take that as an insult or complement lol.

I just feel passionately about the team and I think the team name, colors, nickname goes a long way in making the team what it is. I definitely wouldn't complain about working for the team or league if that meant getting some say, but unfortunately that's not the case. I'm temporarily in upstate NY, so couldn't do it even if I wanted.

Not an insult.
Also upstate NY is any place 1/2 an hour north of where you are standing for 8 hours.
where upstate?

"New York" cuz we're the only team that plays soccer here.

Not an insult.
Also upstate NY is any place 1/2 an hour north of where you are standing for 8 hours.
where upstate?
Rochester for now. So a bit more than 1/2 an hour, unfortunately haha. Hoping to get back down soon.

I like Blues, City, and (more jokingly) Pigeons as unofficial nicknames. Wouldn't want to see any of them on a shirt though.

I think official mascots are way more likely to be "boring, corporate, and soulless" (to use OP's words) than what we have.

Exhibit A:
tumblr_mcy2vnb4eW1qe1x8qo1_1280.jpg

Blues and City are both good for me. I don't think we need to reinvent the wheel here.

One thing I do hate though is the call and response chant "NYC!" and then "FC!" It sounds so silly and really doesn't make any sense in the grand scheme of things.

My guess is you work for the team
HA! this thread feels like a turing test. But instead of identifying AI, we are trying to identify NYC authenticity. I for one am not buying the please and thanks you's.

I like Blues, City, and (more jokingly) Pigeons as unofficial nicknames. Wouldn't want to see any of them on a shirt though.

I think official mascots are way more likely to be "boring, corporate, and soulless" (to use OP's words) than what we have.

Exhibit A:
tumblr_mcy2vnb4eW1qe1x8qo1_1280.jpg
This is horrendous. I would be thoroughly embarrassed to have something like this stomping around on the sidelines.

Now a man sized pigeon just walking around, occasionally running onto the pitch. that i can get behind.

HA! this thread feels like a turing test. But instead of identifying AI, we are trying to identify NYC authenticity. I for one am not buying the please and thanks you's.
Did you just see Ex Machina? Great flick BTW.

Reactions: LionNYC and Rimil
Maybe it's because I say it at least 20 times a day, but by now NYCFC really rolls off of the tongue very quickly and naturally. For many though, it's still a mouthful.

Reactions: Paul
Did you just see Ex Machina? Great flick BTW.
Yes, yes i did. That and imitation game, recently. however I was familiar with the the concept prior to the movies cause I is learned and smaht.

both good flicks.

Reactions: JayH
I heard Ex Machina was great. Haven't had a chance to see it yet, and I might regret saying this after seeing it, but if she could be our mascot, who would complain? Alicia Vikander <3

There's no reason to obsess over the "official" name. An organic nickname grows from the bottom up.
yeah and there's nothing "organic" as saying, "let's all vote for a nickname" . . . or creating a supporters group (complete with name, logo, hats, twitter account and scarves) without having actual supporters yet (where you have to then ask people to join your supporters group).

Reactions: Paul and Goodfella