U.S. Open Cup 2016

I have a feeling it will be at Hofstra again, don't they try and get the "lower" league sides some time in the mini spotlight? I heard we may have also ended up playing at St. John's University Soccer stadium had we won the game against the Cosmos last year??
We won't necessarily be playing the Cosmos in the 4th round. Especially if the Cosmos happen to lose in the 3rd round.

We won't necessarily be playing the Cosmos in the 4th round. Especially if the Cosmos happen to lose in the 3rd round.
That would be a shame, considering the only time they fill their building in when NYRB or NYCFC travel out to Hempstead.
Hmmm. It hadn't occurred to me before but it's possible that we could end up playing the Hammerheads at some point.
I thought there was a rule that affiliated teams couldn't meet?

Or does that apply only to situation like Seattle and Seattle2, Vancouver and Vancouver2?

Or is it just my imagination running away with me......once again.

That would be a shame, considering the only time they fill their building in when NJRB or NYCFC travel out to Hempstead.

I thought there was a rule that affiliated teams couldn't meet?

Or does that apply only to situation like Seattle and Seattle2, Vancouver and Vancouver2?

Or is it just my imagination running away with me......once again.

technically no, there is no rule that affects it if its only affiliates ( i think san jose played sacramento and i think they had an "affiliation" agreement ) the rule is that "2" or "B" teams cant play parent teams. but that doesnt matter this year since the USL 2 teams have been taken out of tournament.

but yet U23 ( red bull, seattle, timbers) teams can still compete because they play in amateur leagues and therefore are not pro teams like USL teams.

i know...confusing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul and Gene
2nd round of the Open Cup is tonight (20 matches) and tomorrow night (1 match). Getting closer to our turn.

Reactions: mgarbowski and joe
4 USL teams knocked out last night including a massive upset by local amateur club Lansdowne Bhoys FC 2-0 over Pittsburgh Riverhounds. Lansdowne Bhoys FC are based out of Yonkers, NY. Gotta love the Cup!

We will be taking on Jersey Express/NY Pancrypian Freedoms/NY Cosmos winner as the Home Team in 4th Round

Red Bulls will either take on Rochester Rhinos away or Lansdowne Bhoys at home depending on Rochester v Landowne result

you really think it happens? i mean that extra cost and extra game on the field....the yankees allow that?
It could, but Dave Martinez reported NYCFC has another site reserved. I'm trying to find out which site that is.

It could, but Dave Martinez reported NYCFC has another site reserved. I'm trying to find out which site that is.
It might be for the best. Even with the Cosmos, that match doesn't strike me to be a huge draw (e.g., mid-week, not part of the season ticket package, etc.) and getting something a bit more intimate will be a better atmosphere. The game last year at Hofstra was pretty fun -- well except when we lost.