What Gear To Wear Come Game Day

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
One thing I really love that ads to stadium atmosphere is color coordination.
I don't see this catching on with the whole stadium from the get-go but it's definitely something the supporters section SHOULD do.
Let's say make it mandatory for all MEMBERS of the Third Rail to dress in Blue, whether a jersey or shirt, as long as it's NYCFC sky blue.
Then coordinate the scarfs to be the darker shade so they stick out.
Take manchester United (don't mean to offend) but every time i watch them play everyone wears black and trench coats and jackets and you can barely spot a jersey.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind switching it up every home game. Like one week wear sky blue, then the next orange, and then navy

Reactions: Coop and einwindir
From experience, most of the people in supporters sections wear the home jerseys for home games. And although I do entirely agree with you that we should coordinate, I'm not sure how we'd go about enforcing it. (ie. recommended vs mandatory)

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
From experience, most of the people in supporters sections wear the home jerseys for home games. And although I do entirely agree with you that we should coordinate, I'm not sure how we'd go about enforcing it. (ie. recommended vs mandatory)

You'd have to really get the word out using the NYCFC Facebook page and Twitter account. Hopefully the club would help us with that and post about a blue out or white out

You'd have to really get the word out using the NYCFC Facebook page and Twitter account. Hopefully the club would help us with that and post about a blue out or white out
You don't want that though. Should be on our terms not the clubs. We're not a basketball team where they give you shirts. That's got to be organic and then become a tradition.

Reactions: Florent Gjonbalaj
You don't want that though. Should be on our terms not the clubs. We're not a basketball team where they give you shirts. That's got to be organic and then become a tradition.

I'm not saying they should give out colored shirts to anyone. I'm saying they should help recommend wearing a certain color for a certain day

I know but I used that as an example. We don't want to be that fan base that needs their club to tell them what to do.
It would be something the SG would need to start and build on.

British fans mostly look down on fans who go dressed in "replica kits" as they call it. They generally don't wear much team colors, bar a scarf or a pin.

And since we are going for a British atmosphere, we must do the same. (sarcasm)

Reactions: Joename and Kubah
British fans mostly look down on fans who go dressed in "replica kits" as they call it. They generally don't wear much team colors, bar a scarf or a pin.

So which accent are we all going to agree to use? I'm partial to welsch since I'm three generations away from my Welsch heritage. I also watch a lot of Karl Pilkington so I think I can pull off a Manchester accent as well.

Thoughts?

Li
So which accent are we all going to agree to use? I'm partial to welsch since I'm three generations away from my Welsch heritage. I also watch a lot of Karl Pilkington so I think I can pull off a Manchester accent as well.

Thoughts?
verpool for me

I'm going to out-Brit all of you. Tea? I've got it. Pint with the lads before the match? This guy right here. Take the piss ou'a some Red Bull bloke. And it's all abou' the casual style mate. Me and the rest of the mancs singin' all the way. No drums or flags like them Americans. Swear on me mum.

U wot m8?

/s

Last edited:

I think you may have crossed wires slightly. We think people who wear full kits are...shall we say "aesthetically challenged" (and possibly intellectually challenged)...but on the other hand, traditional match-day attire is to wear a shirt, whether from the current season or a classic kit from days gone by. It's the wearing of the shorts and socks that we object to. They are for players, and small kids.

People seem to be making much more of a thing over the "casual scene" than is accurate IMO. If it's a cold day then most will wear a jacket and wrap up warm, thus not displaying their colours, but most fans - especially the frequent attenders - will insist on wearing a team shirt to the game. The exception is England games, because the vast majority of England game attendees simply do not own an England shirt (myself included).

For example, the image below is Wembley Way - the main concourse up to Wembley Stadium. From the shirts, I'd say it was taken at one of the Playoff Finals for promotion to the Championship, maybe. You can see the propensity for shirt-wearing here (click the image to make it larger):

Flickr_-_joncandy_-_Wembley_Way_(1).jpg

Edit: it was actually the 2010 Playoff final between Cardiff City and Blackpool for promotion to the Premier League.

Yeah, wearing full kits would just be silly, that's like going to a baseball game with spikes on or NFL game with pads, helmet and full gear. a team shirt, scarf and/or hat should be fine.

People actually wear full kits to games? I've actually never seen that before

I think you may have crossed wires slightly. We think people who wear full kits are...shall we say "aesthetically challenged" (and possibly intellectually challenged)...but on the other hand, traditional match-day attire is to wear a shirt, whether from the current season or a classic kit from days gone by. It's the wearing of the shorts and socks that we object to. They are for players, and small kids.

I obviously have less experience in English culture, but I do know for a fact that members of the 1882 movement/supporter group of Tottenham look down on even wearing the shirt. I assumed that was representative of all other clubs, although I know the gooners tend to wear the shirt more than Spurs fans.