What's the biggest debateable subject in our team's history?

What's the biggest debatable subject in our team's history?

• #Kreisout

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saunders/Slosh/#starteirik

• Pirlo

• 433? 343? 3223? Who the F cares?

• Clone Jersey/man city replica

• Nickname (are we Pigeons/blue/pizza rats...?)

• Total voters
I did think about the stadium thread but I'm not sure that's all that contentious. That might change once the actual location is revealed, of course. Not going to hold my breath on that though so I didn't really want to "nominate" it. It's still a valid choice though.

Reactions: adam
I personally picked Mix. I'm kind of partial to the stadium. But there were so many avenues that Mix took us; formation, team structure, Kreis & PVs choices and feelings towards him, the salary cap, Mix's own attitude/personality/RE holdings, etc...
It seemed to make its way into ever thread. mgarbowski mgarbowski even coined a theory after it. That's why I chose him.

I personally picked Mix. I'm kind of partial to the stadium. But there were so many avenues that Mix took us; formation, team structure, Kreis & PVs choices and feelings towards him, the salary cap, Mix's own attitude/personality/RE holdings, etc...
It seemed to make its way into ever thread. mgarbowski mgarbowski even coined a theory after it. That's why I chose him.
Great minds think alike, apparently. Two votes so far, both for Mix. Although I'm going to click the "post" button quick before 537 people vote for Lampard.

I don't think debatable is the right adjective for this question. Still the answer is Lampard and will be Lampard for some time.

Lampardgate is the only true problem the club created for itself. He "signed" for NYCFC and was "loaned" to Man City and it was "extended" until the end of the Premier League season. This created a huge problem for NYCFC from top to bottom. Front office debacle. Roster/formation problems for Kreis. Unfair treatment to season ticket holders felt being lied to. I'll elaborate with that middle subject. From the document Win! we saw that Kreis believed that Lampard was going to be here from the beginning and created a lineup around him in the midfield. When that wasn't the case he had to improvise and the lineup and player that he did use clearly did not have the talent that Lampard would have on the field. Lampard came in later, was injured playing in Premier League, and didn't do shit in 2015. Kreis was fired. Vieira was brought in. Imagine the scenario if Lampard was here from Day 1 and Kreis could do what we wanted. Sure, it wouldn't explain the shit defense and goalkeeping but still, maybe we qualify for the playoffs. Maybe Kreis keeps his job. Maybe we don't see Vieira ever in New York. A lot of what ifs, but still it could be asked. We saw what a healthy Lampard (in Vieira still albeit) did in 2016. Imagine if that happened in 2015.

Mix was the fault of himself maybe not being as good as we thought, training as hard as we thought, fitting into a system we established, or focusing on soccer. But ultimately, you can say it's the fault of the front office giving him a crazy contract. Still, it's not a huge problem. We brought him out during the offseason. Small problem considering we did fine without him in 2016. It's really just a problem for Mix fans (or fans that could consider who we could have bring him with his GAM/TAM money in 2016).

The stadium is politics. We had the Bronx site ready to go but shit (maybe de Blasio, probably de Blasio, definitely de Blasio) fucked it up. It's a work in progress. It will take some time, but the front office is committed and something will get done before I have kids. I don't plan of having kids anytime soon though.

"Chris Wingert is someone you build a lineup around." Or something like that. Kreis couldn't cut it in New York or with CFG. He wasn't respected by Villa or Lampard or Pirlo. Simple, he had to go.

Johansen wasn't as great of an option early on, but still Saunders had a great save percentage in 2015 because so many shots were allowed by the defense. Should Saunders have been benched earlier. Maybe. (YES, in my opinion). But it's a moot point. We have Johnson now.

It will take some more time to get an answer on Pirlo. But up to this point he's done what he needed to do for NYCFC. He's still part of Phase I to sign DPs for headline, tickets, and jersey sales. We've moved on to Phase II, sign DPs that are better talents in MLS for our team. Maybe Pirlos replacement will be a big name but they'll be able to do more on the field than Pirlo for our system.

Lineup. Whatever Vieira does. Whatever it takes to win. Fuck it.

Clone Jersey. It's fucking beautiful. We're in New York City, fashion capital of the world. Capital of the world. So what if it's a beautiful shade of blue that happens to be the same as one in Manchester. It's fucking gorgeous.

Nickname. We're pigeons and we'll poop on you. I haven't heard anyone refereed to NYCFC as pizza rats.

Last edited:
I don't think debatable is the right adjective for this question. Still the answer if Lampard and will be Lampard for some time.

Lampardgate is the only true problem the club created for itself. He "signed" for NYCFC and was "loaned" to Man City and it was "extended" until the end of the Premier League season. This created a huge problem for NYCFC from top to bottom. Front office debacle. Roster/formation problems for Kreis. Unfair treatment to season ticket holders felt being lied to. I'll elaborate with that middle subject. From the document Win! we saw that Kreis believed that Lampard was going to be here from the beginning and created a lineup around him in the midfield. When that wasn't the case he had to improvise and the lineup and player that he did use clearly did not have the talent that Lampard would have on the field. Lampard came in later, was injured playing in Premier League, and didn't do shit in 2015. Kreis was fired. Vieira was brought in. Imagine the scenario if Lampard was here from Day 1 and Kreis could do what we wanted. Sure, it wouldn't explain the shit defense and goalkeeping but still, maybe we qualify for the playoffs. Maybe Kreis keeps his job. Maybe we don't see Vieira ever in New York. A lot of what ifs, but still it could be asked. We saw what a healthy Lampard (in Vieira still albeit) did in 2016. Imagine if that happened in 2015.

Mix was the fault of himself maybe not being as good as we thought, training as hard as we thought, fitting into a system we established, or focusing on soccer. But ultimately, you can say it's the fault of the front office giving him a crazy contract. Still, it's not a huge problem. We brought him out during the offseason. Small problem considering we did fine without him in 2016. It's really just a problem for Mix fans (or fans that could consider who we could have bring him with his GAM/TAM money in 2016).

The stadium is politics. We had the Bronx site ready to go but shit (maybe de Blasio, probably de Blasio, definitely de Blasio) fucked it up. It's a work in progress. It will take some time, but the front office is committed and something will get done before I have kids. I don't plan of having kids anytime soon though.

"Chris Wingert is someone you build a lineup around." Or something like that. Kreis couldn't cut it in New York or with CFG. He wasn't respected by Villa or Lampard or Pirlo. Simple, he had to go.

Johansen wasn't as great of an option early on, but still Saunders had a great save percentage in 2015 because so many shots were allowed by the defense. Should Saunders have been benched earlier. Maybe. (YES, in my opinion). But it's a moot point. We have Johnson now.

It will take some more time to get an answer on Pirlo. But up to this point he's done what he needed to do for NYCFC. He's still part of Phase I to sign DPs for headline, tickets, and jersey sales. We've moved on to Phase II, sign DPs that are better talents in MLS for our team. Maybe Pirlos replacement will be a big name but they'll be able to do more on the field than Pirlo for our system.

Lineup. Whatever Vieira does. Whatever it takes to win. Fuck it.

Clone Jersey. It's fucking beautiful. We're in New York City, fashion capital of the world. Capital of the world. So what if it's a beautiful shade of blue that happens to be the same as one in Manchester. It's fucking gorgeous.

Nickname. We're pigeons and we'll poop on you. I haven't heard anyone refereed to NYCFC as pizza rats.

They wanted to call the SI Yankees the Pizza Rats, so I threw that in. Stop being so literal, it makes too easy of a target.

I chose "other" because I think the same true debatable subject that underlies a lot of the options is whether CFG actually cares about NYCFC as its own unique club/team/fans, or whether we really are just an afterthought investment, Man City support system, etc. etc.

After "other", I'd pick Lampardgate, because I think it's the most indicative of the above issue.

I think the nickname could be its own separate poll and debate. So I guess it's perfect for this thread in a way.

When I first started following Man City thought it was a weird British thing that they didn't really have an official name, but on the other hand a lot of their teams do have names so who knows. I could see everyone calling us City in a few years as that's starting to become a (small) thing so it might catch on.

But on the other hand I don't think we've had people rioting in the stands over the nickname so I'm not sure how contentious it is. Still, good to have it in the poll here.

Was there any real basis for the expectation the club would add a DP in summer 2021 by buying down Medina, and if so, did the Mitrita loan saga keep it from happening?
David Lee said we're looking at the summer because there will be "more availability" in the summer. He did say it was, of course, providing that someone of worth showed up on the radar soo I guess that didn't happen... Mitri thing probably also doesn't help the club's position.

Was there any real basis for the expectation the club would add a DP in summer 2021 by buying down Medina, and if so, did the Mitrita loan saga keep it from happening?

I think the issue may be that we only had two real wants (not even needs) open right now. A pure 9 would be awesome -- Taty is okay and Heber is coming back though. A great LB would be amazing, but is that really where you want to spend your money after two 'meh' signings in Malte and Gudi?

This roster could be in flux over the next few seasons with some of this young talent making bigger moves, maybe they want to see where future gaps and needs may be.

Also. I have no idea how Mitri's situation impacts us right now, that could also be a factor.

Nevertheless, I think we've been extremely lucky to have the talent on this squad that we have had over the last 5 or so seasons. Not many teams have been as consistently well built as ours, so I am not too worried (though it's always a little disappointing when the potential for a big signing doesn't come to fruition).

Always the optimist with this team...