Where Do We Stand In Mls?

USAfan6

Registered
Nov 10, 2014
Roster-wise where do you think we stack up in comparison to the rest of the league? Of course this is just on paper speculation, but still fun to do.

Well the eastern Conference is wide open, so we can make the playoffs no problem.
Not with this current roster. Not enough starters, missing key positions and DP(s) and almost no depth.

Currently average at best, but without more depth not ready to compete over a whole season.

Get Lampard in here, practicing and healthy, sign DP #3 and make a few more starter signing, then we're talking.

Not with this current roster. Not enough starters, missing key positions and DP(s) and almost no depth.

Currently average at best, but without more depth not ready to compete over a whole season.

Get Lampard in here, practicing and healthy, sign DP #3 and make a few more starter signing, then we're talking.
What positions would you say we need to go after right now?

What positions would you say we need to go after right now?
I'm worried about depth at
- CB, Wingert and Watson-Siriboe can start along with Hernandez but they would probably be better depth guys. With John out until April or May, that seems like a weak spot
- CDM, sure in theory Grabavoy or Lampard could play it, but its not meant for them. Jacobsen is the only player right now at this position. Is he the starter?
-Wings/wide-midfielders. Grabavoy and Velasquez played there for Real Salt Lake, but they are better in the middle. Is there any wide players, besides maybe Villa, who everyone and their mother think is NYC's starting striker.
- CAM, again, there are a lot of players who could play this. My guess is Velasquez and Lampard might be the best ones, Lampard really isn't a attacking-mid. Are you giving the keys to car to Velasquez? McNamara and Dunn could play it too, but they aren't ready yet.
- Strikers, Villa and Mullins with Taylor is a decent group. If NYCFC plays a lone striker, this could work. If Kreis plays a 4-4-2, Taylor is your only depth.

Last edited:
- CB, Wingert and Watson-Siriboe can start along with Hernandez but they would probably be better depth guys. With John out until April or May, that seems like a weak spot
- CDM, sure in theory Grabavoy or Lampard could play it, but its not meant for them. Jacobsen is the only player right now at this position. Is he the starter?
-Wings/wide-midfielders. Grabavoy and Velasquez played there for Real Salt Lake, but they are better in the middle. Is there any wide players, besides maybe Villa, who everyone and their mother think is NYC's starting striker.
- CAM, again, there are a lot of players who could play this. My guess is Velasquez and Lampard might be the best ones, Lampard really isn't a attacking-mid. Are you giving the keys to car to Velasquez? McNamara and Dunn could play it too, but they aren't ready yet.
- Strikers, Villa and Millins with Taylor is a decent group. If NYCFC plays a lone striker, this could work. If Kreis plays a 4-4-2, Taylor is your only depth.
Suppose my next question is, do you think there are any Man City loanees we could acquire that could fill starting spots for us? Or do you think all of those spots will have to be filled via signings?

Reactions: Kjbert
Suppose my next question is, do you think there are any Man City loanees we could acquire that could fill starting spots for us? Or do you think all of those spots will have to be filled via signings?
After reading that interview that a forum member had with Kreis and Reyna at dinner a few weeks ago, I will be shocked if any of ManCity's kids come. So no, I don't expect any ManCity's loanees to fill in any holes. But if they do, thats great.

They are at 18-19 players on the roster now. My guess is that there will be 3-4 significant signings yet to come.

- Strikers, Villa and Mullins with Taylor is a decent group. If NYCFC plays a lone striker, this could work. If Kreis plays a 4-4-2, Taylor is your only depth.

Lampard is an incredibly good attacking mid.

Boyata and Sinclair would be good loan signings, neither are likely to get any game time at Man City.

Boyata and Sinclair would be good loan signings, neither are likely to get any game time at Man City.

i think the whole loan signing premise from MCFC is overblown. Keep in mind we have a salary cap and a limit on international players. A half way decenty young player in your system probably make more than many of our all Stars here.

i think the whole loan signing premise from MCFC is overblown. Keep in mind we have a salary cap and a limit on international players. A half way decenty young player in your system probably make more than many of our all Stars here.

Boyata and Sinclair are both Home Grown and Man City need them. If that ruke was not there, they would be long gone. Guys like Pozo, Rekik, Angelinho would be better fits.

In some cases teams just want players out of their club, Manchester United are paying Nani's entire salary this year even though he isn't playing for them.Newcastle loaned out Alan Smith a few years ago to MK Dons where they were paying just £1000 out of his £60k weekly salary.

True but to say he aint really an attacking mid is plain wrong. It is exactly what he is.
Lampard isn't a feeder CAM as it traditionally is used, especially by Kreis.
And since he isn't here you can't build around whatever fantasy position we theorize on.

And according to a recent Kreis/Reyna lunch meet up, it sounds like no ManCity loanees are coming. Which is fine. MC would probably pull them back as soon as they had chemistry.

the availability of loans to other European teams limits the possibility of loans to the US. If you send one of your young developing guys here, he'll be playing out of season. and would MLS be the best place for his futher development? Perhaps down the road, but not now

I doubt Sinclair would go to New York as there will be other EPL or Championship clubs after him and I think it's best if he moves on as I don't think he would be successful.

Also Boyata would be only released after the season ends because of the homegrown rule in the CL. Also, I don't think he would be a success at New York.

There are three players who may be able to offer more to NYCFC. They are Jordi Hiwula (striker), Shay Facey (RB/CD) and Greg Leigh (LB). All are 20 and unlikely to succeed at City.....the problem would be trying to persuade them it would be a good move for their career.

Lampard isn't a feeder CAM as it traditionally is used, especially by Kreis.
And since he isn't here you can't build around whatever fantasy position we theorize on.

And according to a recent Kreis/Reyna lunch meet up, it sounds like no ManCity loanees are coming. Which is fine. MC would probably pull them back as soon as they had chemistry.

Do you mean like a deeper playmaker?

So now that we have signed Diskerud, Calle, and Mendoza, any changed opinions? I would assume our line-up will look something like this by July:

--------------------Mullins------------Villa---------------------
----------------------------Diskerud-----------------------------
--------------------Calle-------------Lampard------------------
--------------------------Grabavoy/Jacobson-------------------
--Wingert/Brovsky--Mendoza--------John------Williams---

Thats looking pretty darn good to me! On paper it certainly looks like one of the better teams in the East.

So now that we have signed Diskerud, Calle, and Mendoza, any changed opinions? I would assume our line-up will look something like this by July:

--------------------Mullins------------Villa---------------------
----------------------------Diskerud-----------------------------
--------------------Calle-------------Lampard------------------
--------------------------Grabavoy/Jacobson-------------------
--Wingert/Brovsky--Mendoza--------John------Williams---

Thats looking pretty darn good to me! On paper it certainly looks like one of the better teams in the East.

And to think we potentially have another one or two big signings/DPs...looking good so far.