Where Do We Stand In Mls?

He was competent in the NASL on loan. Yeah he's probably past daily starter, but I think you're being a bit harsh on a guy who was a lot more than competent with LA for years. I think he's here as a backup, but not a washout who were nursing along. If we keep Meara or bring on another young keeper, having an MLS cup winning keeper to guide them along will be invaluable.
Sounds good to me. I don't know his play very well.

I have seen some poor keeping in MLS, and it seems like if he were a significant step up for someone,,they'd have been happy to have him even as a loan last year. So my opinion is mostly inductive, not based on first hand observation.

I like Saunders. He came up huge for the Galaxy in quite a few games when he still played there. If not for his alcohol problem I think he'd probably be a starter somewhere else. But overall I consider him a very reliable back up.

The east is a mess right now. So I expect at the very least a run for the last playoff spot. Especially now that almost everyone qualifies anyway.

I think we are still missing a Kyle Beckerman type player(De Rossi would be perfect.) And the back line is pretty questionable. Is George John still the same player? Will Mendoza need time to adjust to the league? Are the back ups good enough?
I don't really know of a team that truly scares me in the East besides New England. DC United are the closest, but even they struggled down the stretch of the season. its going to be a fun season, but we can definitely make our mark in the Eastern conference imo.

Any changed opinions?

I'm bearish on our inaugural season prospects. The East is looking a fair amount tougher than they did at the end of last season with all the offseason activity, and I don't think we have the pure talent to keep up.

When Villa and Lampard were announced, I thought we were well on our way to a playoff-caliber roster. But the third DP never materialized, and we no longer have Lampard for the first half of the season.

It appears that the strategy from the get go wasn't to build a contender from behind a desk, but from on the field. I think we are relying a great deal on Kries and his system to take a year and teach it to those who are receptive, weed out those who aren't, and then bring in another wave of reinforcements where needed.

With 6 of 10 teams making the playoffs, we can definitely challenge for a spot. But I would not call this season a failure if we do not.

That said, I expect our roster to be twice as talented this time next year, especially if we do miss the playoffs. Languishing at the bottom of the table for a few years is not going to earn you fans in NYC (not that our owners have shown any knowledge of how to earn fans in NYC.)

I'm bearish on our inaugural season prospects. The East is looking a fair amount tougher than they did at the end of last season with all the offseason activity, and I don't think we have the pure talent to keep up.

When Villa and Lampard were announced, I thought we were well on our way to a playoff-caliber roster. But the third DP never materialized, and we no longer have Lampard for the first half of the season.

It appears that the strategy from the get go wasn't to build a contender from behind a desk, but from on the field. I think we are relying a great deal on Kries and his system to take a year and teach it to those who are receptive, weed out those who aren't, and then bring in another wave of reinforcements where needed.

With 6 of 10 teams making the playoffs, we can definitely challenge for a spot. But I would not call this season a failure if we do not.

That said, I expect our roster to be twice as talented this time next year, especially if we do miss the playoffs. Languishing at the bottom of the table for a few years is not going to earn you fans in NYC (not that our owners have shown any knowledge of how to earn fans in NYC.)

I agree it will take 3-4 seasons to get there. But get there we will. We do have to finish reasonably though to build fan base. Kries is a good manager so I have every confidence we will be competitive either this year or next.

I agree it will take 3-4 seasons to get there. But get there we will. We do have to finish reasonably though to build fan base. Kries is a good manager so I have every confidence we will be competitive either this year or next.
3-4 seasons?! We'll see about that one...

Just having a full team including Villa and Mix jumps us over four or five teams.

Ok so now that Calle is official I am assuming that is probably our last big signing until summer. So my updated starting 11 is:

--------------------Nemec---------Villa---------------------
---------------------------Diskerud--------------------------
------------------Calle--------------Grabavoy---------------
----------------------------Poku------------------------------
-----Wingert-----Mendoza---Hernandez---Williams----

Ok so now that Calle is official I am assuming that is probably our last big signing until summer. So my updated starting 11 is:

--------------------Nemec---------Villa---------------------
---------------------------Diskerud--------------------------
------------------Calle--------------Grabavoy---------------
----------------------------Poku------------------------------
-----Wingert-----Mendoza---Hernandez---Williams----
I refuse to put Calle into the starting 11 until I see him with the team. Poku? Jacobson and probably Velasquez are your starters until I see Poku or Calle tear it up next week.