Why Do You Love The Game?

cardinal511

Registered
Jul 7, 2014
Iowa City, Iowa
So the title is pretty self explanatory, but for more detail, I've recently started to follow soccer (or football) in the last few years, and also like to write fiction in my free time. I'm hoping to write a novel about soccer, and have plans in the works, but I'd like to get a better idea about why others love the game, and what it means to them.

For example, one reason I love soccer is the drama that comes in every match. For me this was best illustrated during the recent World Cup, as I was always nervous that the US would concede when the other team got into the final third. The sheer joy of a late winner (Brooks' goal vs. Ghana) is a wonderful feeling that I hope comes many more times in the coming months as NYCFC kicks off its first season. Ronaldo's late cross and the Belgium match in general with Howard also stood out as tense moments that I loved to watch, even if the result wasn't always the best.

So what is it that makes you love the game?

Reactions: Goodfella
The sheer joy of a late winner (Brooks' goal vs. Ghana) is a wonderful feeling that I hope comes many more times in the coming months as NYCFC kicks off its first season.
So what is it that makes you love the game?

One of the best feelings in sport, full stop! When you're trying to wish the ball into the net and then it happens and you can't quite believe it.

I grew up watching , listening to and playing soccer from an early age but it wasn't until my first live match that I really understood what it was all about,. I must have been about ten years old, I can still remember emerging from the steps in the main stand at my local club*'s ground and seeing this enormous green pitch stretch out in front of me, to a child's eyes it looked impossibly big. And then the singing started! Just incredible. Haven't been able to shake the bug since!

* http://www.glentoran.com/ if you're interested :)

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
The first game I watched (with actual intent) was a champions league final with Inter and I think Man U. But I remember watching the game and it just "clicked" the energy, the unnecessary need for a goal or a point every 3 seconds. I actually started to watch players without the ball and see the game for what it is.. Pure beauty. I continued to watch and continued to learn about the game. I watched La Liga and EPL mostly and couldn't get behind MLS in my early infancy of learning the game. As time went by I chose a team that I actually enjoyed (and hated at times) Tottenham. After a while I started to pay attention to other leagues and enjoyed their own characteristics if each. I said to myself I need to get behind the game in the states, I could NOT get behind the Red Bulls, not sure why but they didn't do it for me. This was what I was waiting for.. where my family started, and continue to live. NYC. It's home away from home and perfect for my two little boys to watch the game with me. We are NYC, we are NY.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy