World Cup NIT

There is no coach and a potentially important election occurring in us soccer presidency and we are concerned for a consolation cup

Why would FIFA want to let it happen during its biggest tournament? Though to be fair only the US market is the target here not the world. No way clubs let their star players go and risk injury for this. Also, are the likes of Italy , Netherlands really going to go for this? They have stuff to figure out and these two three games isint changing much

Everyone says money, from who? ESPN? They are not giving millions to FIFA for this. US soccer? using that 100 million for this rather than its programs youth and coaching ?

But I can't act surprised though with SUM involved they want to get some money back. If if it does happen I just hope no nycfc player gets called up ( if applicable) since I don't want any of them to get injured for nothing
You understand that people pay for tickets and broadcasters pay for content, right? And sponsors have budgets that have to be spent on specific audiences.

So yes, there is money. And maybe it’s for the money, but I think it’s still THE BEST THING WE CAN DO FOR OUR YOUNG PLAYERS.

With the UEFA international league kicking off soon and no WCF in 2018 to blood youth, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, et al would have very few opportunities to play European international squads before 2022.

It’s a wildly sensible and obvious thing to do, and it would have happened last time without the US if we hadn’t bailed out Mexico. Believe that.

I am in favor.

Timing is an issue. I can’t see Fifa approving a tournament that has games on the same days as the World Cup, even if at a different time of day. Even if they aren’t directly opposite each other, this can dilute the market and draw viewers away from the WC.

Perhaps they would approve of something that takes place at the same time as the later stages of the World Cup, when there fewer games and days with no games.

Reactions: adam
You understand that people pay for tickets and broadcasters pay for content, right? And sponsors have budgets that have to be spent on specific audiences.

So yes, there is money. And maybe it’s for the money, but I think it’s still THE BEST THING WE CAN DO FOR OUR YOUNG PLAYERS.

With the UEFA international league kicking off soon and no WCF in 2018 to blood youth, Weston McKennie, Tyler Adams, et al would have very few opportunities to play European international squads before 2022.

It’s a wildly sensible and obvious thing to do, and it would have happened last time without the US if we hadn’t bailed out Mexico. Believe that.

so we getting copa america centenario prices for this tournament? lol screw that. again...only ESPN will pay some rights fees ( and univision im sure will jump in at the proposition, unless you want beinsports) but i highly doubt it will be that high for something made up. i dont know how many relevant sponsors will get in with this since some may already have had ties with Fox sports for the World cup, but it may not be that hard considering people expect ratings to drop in this country for 2018 WC

again...you are assuming that the top NT invited ( assuming they accept) will send their best. this will only happen if its one of those four team semi final/ final games where they are playing two games each and thats it. you think top clubs will say hey yea sure go on to a tournament that was just made up a few months ago. if they get injured then who pays the compensation? SUM? FIFA has their world cup "insurance" in place to appease the top clubs.

yes McKennie, Adams, etc need european competition in the NT, but have those games IN EUROPE...not here...not in the comfort of home.....yesterday was a good example, granted they were not playing the best portugal XI but they will have that good experience of playing in europe. you can do a mini tour IN Italy and Netherlands no need for tournament

like when they played in Germany and Netherlands last time, in the end it didnt help their in the gold cup ( because of klinsman or whatever) but that is what you want if you want to face top european NT.

and to your last point you are correct SUM will always want to get cash, be it for MLS, Mexico or US Soccer. that is why they are wanting to do this.

you are assuming that the top NT invited ( assuming they accept) will send their best
I am most definitely not. I expect it will be a lot of “projected 2022 squads”.

People already pay a shitload for pitiful b team friendlies. No different.

yes McKennie, Adams, etc need european competition in the NT, but have those games IN EUROPE...not here

Would be great, but you can’t get the $ necessary to make it happen there.

(ETA: also, with MLS schedule stupidity, when else will it happen? RBNJ ain’t letting Adams go play friendlies in Europe, even if they were available - which they won’t be due to UEFA Intl league - because they will have matches. Same for us and say a Jon Lewis, if he gets to that level. It also applies to Jon Gonzales, who I’d like to see get some run soon.)

Fox will be in on the bid, guaranteed. Stone said as much on the broadcast, and I don’t think he was just talking out of his ass.

Bottom line, beyond any argument otherwise, I’ll never think it’s stupid or be against it because I want to watch our potential future stars play in a US shirt. It ain’t going to happen in Russia, but I personally would get about as much enjoyment out of watching a u-25 + a couple less capped vets play than watching a plodding, sulking bunch of never-was’s get ran in Russia.

The choice is no US soccer next summer or this. Literally, that’s it. No brainer if you just want to watch some footy.

I may or may not attend any matches. But I’ll definitely watch all of them. And then I’ll watch the World Cup. And still be sad, but with the added hope I don’t see Altidore or Bradley in another US starting 11 that matters.

Even if these top countries don't send their top squad, most of their reserves are still play at the highest of levels (minus a couple of shit nations). And so the competition and desire to go watch these players are still there. But, I'm sure most top players from each country would still show so there would be that "entertainment" factor I guess you can call it.

I am most definitely not. I expect it will be a lot of “projected 2022 squads”.

People already pay a shitload for pitiful b team friendlies. No different.

Would be great, but you can’t get the $ necessary to make it happen there.

(ETA: also, with MLS schedule stupidity, when else will it happen? RBNJ ain’t letting Adams go play friendlies in Europe, even if they were available - which they won’t be due to UEFA Intl league - because they will have matches. Same for us and say a Jon Lewis, if he gets to that level. It also applies to Jon Gonzales, who I’d like to see get some run soon.)

Fox will be in on the bid, guaranteed. Stone said as much on the broadcast, and I don’t think he was just talking out of his ass.

Bottom line, beyond any argument otherwise, I’ll never think it’s stupid or be against it because I want to watch our potential future stars play in a US shirt. It ain’t going to happen in Russia, but I personally would get about as much enjoyment out of watching a u-25 + a couple less capped vets play than watching a plodding, sulking bunch of never-was’s get ran in Russia.

The choice is no US soccer next summer or this. Literally, that’s it. No brainer if you just want to watch some footy.

I may or may not attend any matches. But I’ll definitely watch all of them. And then I’ll watch the World Cup. And still be sad, but with the added hope I don’t see Altidore or Bradley in another US starting 11 that matters.

you can try and get a a couple of friendlies between euro seasons end and the start of the WC against teams in WC..yes its a warmup for other team but still can happen..like it happens in every cycle right before a WC.

throw your US soccer name in the hat for the "going away game" vs england at wembley in their last friendly before the world cup and then win against them in that and ruin their party. i dont know why we say there is a lack of money US soccer is not dirt poor with their millions surplus out there. now if other federations dont want to pick the US is another story

i dont know why we say there is a lack of money US soccer is not dirt poor with their millions surplus out there.
Who says that? Doesn’t everyone complain that we have the exact opposite problem - it makes too much money?

You kind of lost me with that part.

Anyway, all I care about is having something to watch I kind of care about. So there’s no argument against it that would change my mind.

It’s a great idea. Co-host with Canada so they play their group games in Canada for an even bigger Audiance. I’m sure fox is pissed about no us and would bid big. Could cross sell the two in marketing.

Start NIT 2 weeks earlier. Run the knockout rounds during the World Cup group stages only at night so no overlap.

This could be a very big money maker.

It’s a great idea. Co-host with Canada so they play their group games in Canada for an even bigger Audiance. I’m sure fox is pissed about no us and would bid big. Could cross sell the two in marketing.

Start NIT 2 weeks earlier. Run the knockout rounds during the World Cup group stages only at night so no overlap.

This could be a very big money maker.
You lost me at giving a shit about Canada.

http://sbisoccer.com/2017/11/the-sb...reject-tournament-makes-little-logistic-sense

Have to agree.

What needs to happen ?

Abandon hosting the Gold Cup every 2 years. Play it once every 4 years. Host a combined tournment with Sth American teams every other 2 years.

Someone in that comments section had a great idea. Make it a U23 tournament with 3 over-age exemptions, like the olympics. That way the kids all play and develop and we get a little star power to sell tickets.

Who says that? Doesn’t everyone complain that we have the exact opposite problem - it makes too much money?

You kind of lost me with that part.

Anyway, all I care about is having something to watch I kind of care about. So there’s no argument against it that would change my mind.

you are the one who said that there is no $ to make it there ( in Europe)....i was just saying have a couple of friendlies in Europe the week or so before the world cup like it happens in every world cup you still get the games prior to WC ( plus clubs in europe may be more willing to lend their the younger NT players to go to avoid the long travel by staying within europe)

I thought this was more likely to be some games, not an all-out tournament. That would be relatively easy to put together.

Now, more than ever before, we need to pack up our bags and join CONMEBOL. Or at the very least have the two federations combine.

Sounds like we’re following UEFA’s lead, and if CONCACAF didn’t do this the European teams might not be available for friendlies anyway. Merging with CONMEBOL might be the best option.

Sounds like we’re following UEFA’s lead, and if CONCACAF didn’t do this the European teams might not be available for friendlies anyway. Merging with CONMEBOL might be the best option.

Or at the very least USA & Mexico defect. Neither federation can be happy about this.

It would be good if CONEMBOL was in this tournament at least. Im sure they would love to play games in the USA.