World Cup Qualifying - 2018 Russia

France/Luxembourg game is great. Fast pace, still 0-0 at the 60th which is very surprising. Bugs me Chanot has to miss playing.

Here's a stat for you: first time that France have failed to beat Luxembourg since 1914.

After today's games, no new teams qualified for the finals.

Teams eliminated today: Armenia, Cameroon, Romania, Czech Republic, Azerbaijin, Norway, and Guinea

Tomorrow:
  • Costa Rica qualifies with a win at home over Mexico and a US-Honduras draw, or a win and a Panama loss or draw at home to T&T.
  • South Korea qualifies with a win at Uzbekistan or a draw to Uzbekistan and a Syria loss/draw at Iran
  • Syria qualifies with a win at Iran and a South Korea loss at Uzbekistan (and they maintain a GD lead over Uzbekistan - currently have a +2 advantage there)
  • Uzbekistan qualifies with a win at home over South Korea and a Syria loss/draw at Iran, or Syria win and better Syria in GD (see above)
  • Saudi Arabia and Australia are vying for the last auto spot in their group, both currently tied on points and Saudi Arabia with a +2 GD advantage. Won't get into all the specifics here. Saudi Arabia is home against Japan and Australia is home against Thailand. Look for Australia to score as much as possible as their game is at 6am eastern and Saudi at 1:30pm eastern
  • UAE can qualify, but needs to win at Iraq and Saudi Arabia and Australia to lose, and make up a massive GD
Teams that can be eliminated tomorrow: Trinidad and Tobago, Georgia, Austria, Israel, Albania, South Korea, Uzbekistan, Syria, China, Saudi Arabia, Australia, UAE, Libya, Algeria, Gabon, Mali, Ghana, Congo

Tomorrow:
  • Costa Rica qualifies with a win at home over Mexico and a US-Honduras draw, or a win and a Panama loss or draw at home to T&T.
  • South Korea qualifies with a win at Uzbekistan or a draw to Uzbekistan and a Syria loss/draw at Iran
  • Syria qualifies with a win at Iran and a South Korea loss at Uzbekistan (and they maintain a GD lead over Uzbekistan - currently have a +2 advantage there)
  • Uzbekistan qualifies with a win at home over South Korea and a Syria loss/draw at Iran, or Syria win and better Syria in GD (see above)
  • Saudi Arabia and Australia are vying for the last auto spot in their group, both currently tied on points and Saudi Arabia with a +2 GD advantage. Won't get into all the specifics here. Saudi Arabia is home against Japan and Australia is home against Thailand. Look for Australia to score as much as possible as their game is at 6am eastern and Saudi at 1:30pm eastern
  • UAE can qualify, but needs to win at Iraq and Saudi Arabia and Australia to lose, and make up a massive GD
Teams that can be eliminated tomorrow: Trinidad and Tobago, Georgia, Austria, Israel, Albania, South Korea, Uzbekistan, Syria, China, Saudi Arabia, Australia, UAE, Libya, Algeria, Gabon, Mali, Ghana, Congo
I assume this is Soup's guilty geek out pleasure since you are writing this up daily over a holiday weekend, and it's not even the cliff notes version but rather long form (except for your skimping on the Saudi/Aussie specifics)???

I assume this is Soup's guilty geek out pleasure since you are writing this up daily over a holiday weekend, and it's not even the cliff notes version but rather long form (except for your skimping on the Saudi/Aussie specifics)???
I actually started tracking this a while ago when Argentina was performing poorly to see what realistic shot they had at missing the Finals. Started with just CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, then decided, why the hell not everything.

Its been June since there had been qualifiers, so I've been excited to fire it back up, haha.

I actually started tracking this a while ago when Argentina was performing poorly to see what realistic shot they had at missing the Finals. Started with just CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, then decided, why the hell not everything.

Its been June since there had been qualifiers, so I've been excited to fire it back up, haha.

im enjoying it

Hmm. I support the USA and Israel. But if they play each other, I probably root for Israel because of the underdog status (they lost to macedonia yesterday!). Though in my mind I'm not a permenant US citizen. I plan to eventually make Aaliyah and move to Israel permenantly. So, maybe that also has something to do with it.

I'm curious who these Italian supporters (and my grandfather spent significant time in Bari) rooted for in the 2006 World Cup? And if any of them plan to eventually leave the US and live in Italy. I have my suspicions on both accounts.

Candidly, I tend to take a utilitarian approach to the US v Italy matches. I support whichever outcome will increase the likelihood that both teams advance. All other things being equal, I support the US over Italy but I'd be lying if I didn't admit I'd still cringe at an Italy loss.

This varies a bit by sport also as soccer is the only sport where I really feel conflicted. In all others, I support the US over everyone and Italy over everyone except the US. Maybe it's because of Italy's history in the sport and because it's tied so closely to the the Italian identity in some ways. Like baseball in America.

Do I plan to move to Italy? I've tried and am trying. At least for a few years. Moreso to preserve the language, customs and culture for myself and my family. Unfortunately, even as a dual citizen, making the leap there is extremely difficult.

I don't think many people understand or appreciate the point of view of first and even some second generation Italians possibly because they are now far removed from their ancestral origins.

Some are probably saying "well I'm first generation (insert something here) but I don't say/feel/think that way."

I'm not sure why, but it's been my observation that families from certain countries or cultures tend to feel or act more connected to their ancestral homelands than others. I don't know why and I don't want to speculate. But Italians largely are a very proud people and for good reason. If you haven't actually been to Italy, it's not possible to fully appreciate what "being Italian" means to an Italian or more precisely what being calabrese, apuglian, abbruzese, etc means to our families.

It's not just where we come from. It's what we are. In a manner of speaking, these regions and the country as a whole, ARE our family.

If you have an Italian surname and speak
even minimal Italian, when you travel to Italy, you are treated differently. If you've never had a similar experience, it's hard to appreciate.

australia with a 2-1 win but it was embarrassing.

Only saw the last half hour, seemed like mostly bad luck and Thailand bunkering in the box. Giving up the goal on the break was an ugly lapse though. Still every chance to qualify if Japan is interested in putting up a fight though.

Syria with an early 1-0 lead over Iran.

Syria is currently tied for 3rd with Uzbekistan, 2 points behind South Korea. Those two teams are currently tied at 0-0. Syria and S. Korea are both +1 on goal differential, while Uzbekistan is -1.

Top 2 advance. 3rd place goes into a playoff with another Asia team for right to play 4th place in Concacaf for a World Cup berth.

Its early in the other games, but Syria is up 1-0 on Iran and South Korea and Uzbekistan are even. If these scores hold, Syria will qualify.

Edit: Gotham Gator Gotham Gator beat me to it

Syria with an early 1-0 lead over Iran.

Syria is currently tied for 3rd with Uzbekistan, 2 points behind South Korea. Those two teams are currently tied at 0-0. Syria and S. Korea are both +1 on goal differential, while Uzbekistan is -1.

Top 2 advance. 3rd place goes into a playoff with another Asia team for right to play 4th place in Concacaf for a World Cup berth.
Hey S sbrylski .... remember what I said about Iran tanking the match for their ideological little brother.....

I want to root for Syria cuz it seems like a good story, but the regime has murdered 38 professional footballers since 2011... hard to root for them.

I want to root for Syria cuz it seems like a good story, but the regime has murdered 38 professional footballers since 2011... hard to root for them.

Yes. It seems like it should be the feel good story, but the team is just a propaganda machine for the government. Some of the better Syrian players are not participating, and they aren't going home either.

Both games tied at the half. This would put Syria in the playoff.

Should probably just not attach politics to national teams. The USMNT doesn't necessarily espouse the politics of the USA. We would never in a million years help one team over another based on what our politicians think.

More likely, the Iranians playing would like to keep playing for their national team, so are trying to impress their coaches.

Should probably just not attach politics to national teams. The USMNT doesn't necessarily espouse the politics of the USA. We would never in a million years help one team over another based on what our politicians think.

More likely, the Iranians playing would like to keep playing for their national team, so are trying to impress their coaches.

Politics will always find its way into soccer when you have teams like the Saudis standing on the pitch and refusing to participate in a moment of silence for the London terror victims. Its sad and it shouldn't be there but its a reality.

Syria now down 2-1 as Iran scores in minute 64.

Korea and Uzbeck are still tied.

As it stands, South Korea would advance, Uzbeckistan would make the playoff, and Syria would be eliminated.

Iran now up 2-1.

Doesn't Syria need Korea to lose today, not just draw? Korea has a win and a draw against Syria, surely that is the tiebreaker?

And now, Uzbeckistan scores on Korea in minute 74.

This is bad news for Syria. Now, Uzbeckistan is in 2nd place and Korea 3rd. If current results in that game hold, Syria would need to turn around its game and win to avoid elimination.

EDIT: now that score is back to showing 0-0. Goal must have gotten waived off or something.

Back