World Cup Qualifying - 2018 Russia

giphy.gif

Sweden, collectively, can suck a bag of dicks.

Reactions: Angela Miller
Can FIFA stop friendlies from taking place?
I don’t know. I would guess random friendlies are OK even during the World Cup, but a competing tournament not so much. Sure, it won’t realistically compete on the world stage, but it could suck away viewers in the participating countries, and they can’t have that.

Reactions: adam
I don’t know. I would guess random friendlies are OK even during the World Cup, but a competing tournament not so much. Sure, it won’t realistically compete on the world stage, but it could suck away viewers in the participating countries, and they can’t have that.

They raise a very good point in this article. The time difference between USA and Russia would mean the games would be broadcast at different times. NIT/Europa matches would go live in the evening slots when Russian matches are long done. No crossover. And actually creates full days of soccer viewing for the fully obsessed.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/11/wor...y-netherlands-nit-chile-schedule-football-fox

Reactions: adam
35 minutes in, Ireland down 2-1 to Denmark. Ireland scored first, Denmark comes back and gets 2 quick goals minutes apart. Should be interesting for the rest of the game.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
The italian debacle has been a long time coming.

The previous two world cups, Italy failed to get out of the group stage. Things should have been put in place in 2010 to fix things but as per usual, the Italians did nothing.

After this debacle they will still do nothing, theyll point fingers, blame everyone else and then wonder why nothing changes.

In many ways its also similar to the USA. Incompetent president and board hire incompetent coach and the result is dire.

Reactions: SanBartG
Australia 3 - Honduras 1

Honduras were utter rubbish against Australia tonight and this is an average Australian side who just scraped by Syria of all countries.

I hope Sunil Gulati was watching this as it should give him nightmares the USA couldn't qualify ahead of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich
The italian debacle has been a long time coming.

The previous two world cups, Italy failed to get out of the group stage. Things should have been put in place in 2010 to fix things but as per usual, the Italians did nothing.

After this debacle they will still do nothing, theyll point fingers, blame everyone else and then wonder why nothing changes.

In many ways its also similar to the USA. Incompetent president and board hire incompetent coach and the result is dire.

Italy had a great Euro's last summer, losing to Germany in penalty kicks. I'd say that's a lot more important than early exits 3 and 7 years ago.

Adding on:

The Italians had a lot of talent that simply remained unused and the talent that actually was used was used completely incorrectly. Im usually not one to go so hard on a coach but Ventura was easily not qualified for the job and only got the job because hes good friends with the president of the Italian Soccer Federation. His only accomplishment in his career was winning the league in the C division, the fucking C division. His resume was god awful, players pleaded with him to change formations and he was stubborn. DeRossi's response to the coaching staff when they told him to warm up to go in for the final leg versus Sweden was all you really needed to know. "Why the fuck am i going in, we need to win not tie, put in Insigne". Even after all this happened to Italy Ventura still thinks he did a good job and is refusing to resign. Its honestly quite absurd.

Look how many times hes been bounced around from team to team:

yBhe9J6.jpg

Last edited:
Last spot is on the line as Peru hosts New Zealand in the return leg, currently at 0-0 (on BeIn sports in case anyone wants to watch.

Current Pot Seedings:

upload_2017-11-15_21-3-17.png

If Peru advances, they end up in Pot 2, Denmark to Pot 3 and Serbia to Pot 4. If New Zealand advances, they end up in Pot 4.

Reactions: Schwallacus