• Poll closed .

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
Out of curiousity, I wanted to take the board temp since the possibilities are now pretty fixed. I realize this presumes we get knocked out, but cast aside how incomprehensible that is and imagine this world. Let's see where we come down.

While I want the extra games from a "more soccer is always good" perspective, I'm not sure our roster is ready for it. I'm also not sure I'm ready for a world where RBNJ has an MLS Cup.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and Paul
Out of curiousity, I wanted to take the board temp since the possibilities are now pretty fixed. I realize this presumes we get knocked out, but cast aside how incomprehensible that is and imagine this world. Let's see where we come down.

While I want the extra games from a "more soccer is always good" perspective, I'm not sure our roster is ready for it. I'm also not sure I'm ready for a world where RBNJ has an MLS Cup.
I hope RB never wins an MLS Cup. They can be the Chicago Cubs of MLS (except for this year). Make them the Buffalo Bills of the league - always the Bridesmaid. I want that insufferable fan base to hate the fact they've never been able to finish the season on Top. Let them suffer for generations. Seriously.

I want to see our DPs in CCL. Probably only window to see the Villa/Pirlo combo.

Reactions: adam
I am happy to cut off my nose to spite this particular face.

marsch-e1331997165735.jpg

While I want the extra games from a "more soccer is always good" perspective, I'm not sure our roster is ready for it.
This...

It's a two year old team - we have time and I rather they focus on the MLS season. I also would hate to see us needing to scramble to host a game somewhere because of a Yankee conflict. God forbid we need to play in Harrison as a "home" team, even though Metlife would make more sense.

The sting of being knocked out by them (assuming we play them) and/or seeing them celebrate down the Canyon of Heroes (will they?) would be severely felt. Coupled with the uncertainty where we would host a CCL match, my choice in this poll is quite obvious.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I voted for CCL. Because there's also extra allocation money that comes along with it. That will make us better in the long run and eventually win many more cups the NJ, even if they win this one after 21 years of trying.

I think it would also open CFGs eyes a bit to invest some more for us to maybe win the CCL and get to the CWC. They do love trophies.

I also value the CCL trophy more then the MLS because it's been so rare for an MLS team to win it. It would give us bragging rights over the entire league, forget just one team from NJ with an inferiority complex.

I voted for CCL. Because there's also extra allocation money that comes along with it. That will make us better in the long run and eventually win many more cups the NJ, even if they win this one after 21 years of trying.

I think it would also open CFGs eyes a bit to invest some more for us to maybe win the CCL and get to the CWC. They do love trophies.

I also value the CCL trophy more then the MLS because it's been so rare for an MLS team to win it. It would give us bragging rights over the entire league, forget just one team from NJ with an inferiority complex.
This and we as a fanbase really need to get over the little brother thing with NJ.

I'd prefer we didn't go to CCL at this stage anyway. They're just additional games that lead to a championship we can't win, the difference in quality between Liga MX and MLS is too great. The only way I want to see us in there is if we had to go because we won the MLS cup anyway.

After the next round of salary cap negotiations in 2020 I'd like to see us there, because that's when MLS teams will have enough money spent on average players to give us a shot.

Also fuck the Red Bulls.

I'd prefer we didn't go to CCL at this stage anyway. They're just additional games that lead to a championship we can't win, the difference in quality between Liga MX and MLS is too great. The only way I want to see us in there is if we had to go because we won the MLS cup anyway.

After the next round of salary cap negotiations in 2020 I'd like to see us there, because that's when MLS teams will have enough money spent on average players to give us a shot.

Also fuck the Red Bulls.

If Montreal can come within a hair of winning it, why can't we?

If Montreal can come within a hair of winning it, why can't we?

Older slower legs.

2020 is when we start to shine. 5 more years of players coming through academies and there will be a big boost to the salary cap. I think that's when MLS goes from never winning it to perennial contenders. The negotiations after that are the ones we start dominating the CCL and never look back.

Reactions: Ulrich and adam
Voted for NJRB losing.

Not because I don't value CCL, just that I don't think we stand enough of a chance to advance in it to outweigh the gross image of NJRB hoisting MLS Cup.

Like others have said, our depth is just not there yet. Ask this question in 5 years, I think the answer is different. But right now, we have the oldest set of DPs in the league. And as competitive as they are, and however much they like to play, Pirlo will be 38 next year, and Villa already played the most minutes of any forward in the league this year. Don't think we want to add extra mid-week games