Yankee Stadium Question Re: Config

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
I thought they were going to be leveling the mound for our matches. Was last night just not indicative or has that plan changed?

It looked like they could make the field about 4-6 yds wider than it was set up last night. I hope they do, as it was too narrow for my tastes.

I know Kreis said it would be something like 74 yds wide, right? I'm not sure it was that wide last night, just judging the distance from the edge of the box to the touchline. It seemed pretty tight. If it was 74 yds last night, then I think we can make it 78 or so quite easily. Every yard we can get in width will be extremely useful given our planned system.

I thought they were going to be leveling the mound for our matches. Was last night just not indicative or has that plan changed?

It looked like they could make the field about 4-6 yds wider than it was set up last night. I hope they do, as it was too narrow for my tastes.

I know Kreis said it would be something like 74 yds wide, right? I'm not sure it was that wide last night, just judging the distance from the edge of the box to the touchline. It seemed pretty tight. If it was 74 yds last night, then I think we can make it 78 or so quite easily. Every yard we can get in width will be extremely useful given our planned system.

The removable mound won't come into play until next year. They are still deciding how they want to do that.

Bt0-q2zIYAAGfeV.jpg:large

From this angle, I can't really tell if the mound was leveled. I hope by the start of the 2015 season, the grass field could look better than that.

“Maybe it was not the best pitch to play (soccer),” Manchester City coach Manuel Pelligrini said after the match. “But it was not so bad. It was not a problem for the players. But it’s better to play on a pitch that is in better condition and maybe more wet. Maybe it was a little bit dry, that’s maybe why the ball didn’t move so fast. But I think that it was a problem for both teams.”

Hopefully they could provide a better field for our NYCFC next year.

When I read a quote like that from Pelligrini, I get a little nervous. Will MCFC brass be hesitant to loan a promising academy player here if that's the surface he'll be playing on?

Reactions: AndreT_NY
When I read a quote like that from Pelligrini, I get a little nervous. Will MCFC brass be hesitant to loan a promising academy player here if that's the surface he'll be playing on?

That's why you play the friendly, do the test run, and have 6 months to find a solution to the problems you had.

As far as hesitancy, it wasn't dangerous. You get concerned when the pitch isn't safe, not that it's not ideal. I'm sure the EDS teams have to play on pitches that aren't fantastic. Heck, MCFC has to play on pitches that often look a little brown at times.

Reactions: SebastianBlue
That's why you play the friendly, do the test run, and have 6 months to find a solution to the problems you had.

As far as hesitancy, it wasn't dangerous. You get concerned when the pitch isn't safe, not that it's not ideal. I'm sure the EDS teams have to play on pitches that aren't fantastic. Heck, MCFC has to play on pitches that often look a little brown at times.
As Mike said, I very much doubt the pitch will be a factor in loan choices.

That said, the pitch was pretty awful from a footballing standpoint last night (any time one team is inherently disadvantaged at any time because of pitch conditions something is very wrong). Both teams struggled to move the ball effectively on the right wing when attacking the goal to the right of the camera position (it was noticeable how few attempts where made to play the ball on that side toward the end of the first and second halves).

I am sure it will be different in 2015, though. It will have to be.

I guess I meant the pitch and the general setup of playing in the baseball field. But I do hate new Yankee stadium, and I am a big Yankee fan
As a Yankee fan, I have a love/hate relationship with the new stadium. I love the comfort and amentities, but the atmosphere is lacking. In the old stadium the cheap seats had such a great vibe, now they are so damn far away and spread apart that it feels like your not even at the stadium at times. Fortunately the 400's won't be in play for the majority of City matches and the 200's are very cheap! I think it would have been a whole lot worse if we played in New Giants Stadium!

Reactions: Midas Mulligan