First Time At Avaya Stadium: The Epicenter, Supporters And Lobina™

SFphoto

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area
Hey everyone,

A few weeks ago a made a post about my first experience at Red Bull Arena. I thought there was some good discussion there about what we would like our future stadium to include as well as the atmosphere that we'd like to cultivate in the future.

I was home for a long weekend last week and managed to catch the Quakes second game at Avaya, so I thought I'd make another post about my overall experience.

First off, I'm from the Bay Area and have been a Quakes fan for a long time. I grew up going to Clash games at San Jose State. I spent a couple of seasons photographing the Quakes at Buckshaw for a local soccer blog. Buckshaw is about as shitty of a watching experience as you can get. Everything about it is inadequate for a professional team. So you can imagine how excited Quakes fans were when the new stadium was announced. And you can imagine how bummed I was to be moving to the other side of the country right before the stadium was to open haha

I'm going to just start out by saying that Avaya is fucking awesome. When I walked in on Sunday, I nearly teared up. It's been a long time coming for Bay Area soccer fans.

Getting to Avaya is very easy. It's right off of a major highway and across the street from the SJ International airport. It is also right next to a train station, but unfortunately there is no easy way to go directly to the stadium since the tracks are between the stadium and the station. They will be building a tunnel to fix that issue.

We sat in section 121. A section near the corner and two sections over from the San Jose Ultras.

viR1vma.jpg

As you can see, amazing view. The seats at Avaya are VERY steep, so you stay really close to the field despite being high up. Directly behind the scoreboard there is the airport. It's actually really awesome seeing planes land and take off all game. The plane sound isn't an issue at all. The mountains in the background are obviously beautiful as well.

The stadium has a roof, but for some reason it only covers from row 15 and above. There was a little bit of rain, so we were glad that we were in the 21st row :) The roof is also great for keeping in the sound of the Ultras singing.

Near the end of the first half we walked up the stairs to the concourse they have at the top of the stadium. There is a bar up in the corner and a bunch of little ledges that you can stand at and set your beer on. Another great view.

7BdKtKD.jpg

From there we headed to the other side of the stadium. If you read my post about RBA, you'll remember the nightmare picture of the crowded concourse. Avaya has a VERY wide concourse and a lot more food and beverage offerings.

oZrMaib.jpg

That pic is from right after the second half kickoff, so it's a little less crowded than normal. But still pretty impressive. A really cool feature of Avaya is the fact that the seats don't go all the way to the ground. So if you're in the concourse during play, you can still watch the game.

owgj9R3.jpg

During half time we went down to the famous, LOBINA™ (Largest Outdoor Bar in North America. It's pretty cool I guess. Just a big ass bar behind the goal.

TZ2qYC6.jpg

Behind LOBINA is a grassy area that you can picnic in. They also bring in 5 or 6 food trucks every game and pack them there as well. They also have a bunch of bounce houses and stuff like that for the kids.

ovVfya9.jpg

jjAiNov.jpg

Now the next feature of Avaya is the one that REALLY makes it stand out for me. It's the amazing general admission standing sections that they offer. There is one on each end of the field. Here is the pictures from the terraced area between the field and LOBINA. Again, plenty of ledges to set your beer on.

gn5J57v.jpg

But the best standing section is on the other side of the field. It is a general admission, "safe standing" section. Look at how close you are to the action.

ePiiTlb.jpg

It was great to be there in the second half since the Quakes were attacking that end (too bad they couldn't find the back of the net that day).

A little bit about the supporters. Like RBNY, the Quakes have several SGs that are unfortunately divided and refuse to be in sync with eachother. The FO really messed up by letting each group have SEVERAL drums. So all of the drum beats kind mix together and ruin the rhythm. The way that the SGs are situated is interesting as well. The Ultras are the biggest and loudest group and sit (well, stand) up in the seats above the safe standing section. The other two or three SGs are kind of spread through out the safe standing section. The part I was standing in had a capo trying to get people singing, but since it's general admission, it was mostly people more interested in watching the game. I kind of felt bad for him since he was really urging people to sing and get into, but it didn't catch on at all.

Here's another view of the standing terrace. You can see the flags of one of the SGs in the background (the Faultline I think). Then up above (can't really see them) are the Ultras.

erjSfom.jpg

All in all, Avaya is an incredibly fun place to watch a game. I can't think of one complaint. I have been to ALL of the stadiums/arenas in the Bay Area and this is by FAR the best game day experience. Not even AT&T compares (and I love AT&T).

Thanks again for the read!

Thats a GREAT review!!!!! Thanks for taking the time and for the effort! Now I REALLY cant't wait for our own stadium!!!!

Reactions: SFphoto
What did you think about the suites at field level ? Good or bad ? I still think the suites should be higher in the stadium.

Did you manage to take a photo of the outside of the stadium ? I believe they are waiting for some sort of external wrap to be put in place.

Reactions: SFphoto
What did you think about the suites at field level ? Good or bad ? I still think the suites should be higher in the stadium.

Did you manage to take a photo of the outside of the stadium ? I believe they are waiting for some sort of external wrap to be put in place.
The suites are awesome. I took a tour of the stadium in February and got to actually go in a couple of them. The seats that come with the suite are right on the field. Probably as close as you can get to the action at any stadium.

I didn't get any pictures of the outside, but you are absolutely right. They are going to be putting some kind of slat design out there. They played around with a couple of designs that didn't actually end up working.

Thats a GREAT review!!!!! Thanks for taking the time and for the effort! Now I REALLY cant't wait for our own stadium!!!!
Thanks!

It's amazing how much a SSS can enhance your experience. Only the second time I have seen a game in a soccer specific stadium.

Looks like a great setup. I love the food truck idea.

We would need a bigger stadium (and I expect SJ will too very soon), but that's about it.

I hope they finish that last stretch of roof. According to the origninal design, it was supposed to be a clear portion that would have ended up covering all of the seats. Last I read they said they were not going to finish it, and leave it as is, because of grass growing concerns and keeping it clean. Most of the SJE fans i've read believe that they just did not want to spend the money.

Last I read they said they were not going to finish it, and leave it as is, because of grass growing concerns and keeping it clean. Most of the SJE fans i've read believe that they just did not want to spend the money.
I'm very happy for the Quakes fans, who've endured a lot, and with lots of my wife's family in SJ, I look forward seeing Avaya in person this year. As we've heard, it was built with a very strict eye on the budget, and when the original estimate of $60 million was announced I thought 'what can they get for that?' Fortunately, changes and additional features pushed the final total up to a respectable $100 million. That said, it still looks kind of minimalist to me...like something that wouldn't hold up to an NYC winter. I'd really fear for that roof with several feet of snow on it, but then again, I'm no engineer. I really love the LOBINA, but I wonder if the Avaya's future expansion possibilities (there must be some...) include replacing it with another stand. Is there room?

Wow, incredible post and thank you for sharing. Avaya stadium is the newest jewel of MLS and it looks incredible. I am a little confused. Do you consider yourself both a NYCFC fan and SJEQ fan or only NYCFC or SJEQ, or none really, are you a casual fan which I doubt since you made trips to RBA and now Avaya. Thanks for sharing again. This is great.

For all 3 games this year, the Quakes have sold out with 18,000 fans. That's great, but you have to wonder if they built too small. Plus, with the roof, I imagine it would be complicated to expand in a few years.

I don't think that the roof is really THAT big of a deal. The weather in SJ is extremely mild and predicable. SJ does not see a lot of rain (especially the last few years). It does tend to get pretty warm in the summer, though.

S1ARK5 S1ARK5 I will always be Quakes. That said, I am fully invested in NYCFC. To be honest, I have been more involved in the sphere of NYCFC than I ever was for the Earthquakes. I was living in San Francisco for the last ten years, so it was slightly difficult to make my way down to Buckshaw. Buckshaw itself was actually a pretty big deterrent as well.

My decision to support NYCFC and get season tickets directly correlates to my move out here. I was moving to the other side of the country where I don't really know anyone. NYCFC is obviously new as well. I thought that it would be a great way to meet new people and create a connection with my new home. We can all go through the growing pains of relocating and being an expansion team together haha.

As far as going to RBA, as cheesy as it sounds, my love for the game trancends any particular allegiance I have to one team. I wanted to see one of the crown jewels in US soccer. I'll probably go check out Cosmos when they play at Coney Island next month. It basically comes down to, "eh. Why not?" haha

I don't think that the roof is really THAT big of a deal. The weather in SJ is extremely mild and predicable. SJ does not see a lot of rain (especially the last few years). It does tend to get pretty warm in the summer, though.

S1ARK5 S1ARK5 I will always be Quakes. That said, I am fully invested in NYCFC. To be honest, I have been more involved in the sphere of NYCFC than I ever was for the Earthquakes. I was living in San Francisco for the last ten years, so it was slightly difficult to make my way down to Buckshaw. Buckshaw itself was actually a pretty big deterrent as well.

My decision to support NYCFC and get season tickets directly correlates to my move out here. I was moving to the other side of the country where I don't really know anyone. NYCFC is obviously new as well. I thought that it would be a great way to meet new people and create a connection with my new home. We can all go through the growing pains of relocating and being an expansion team together haha.

As far as going to RBA, as cheesy as it sounds, my love for the game trancends any particular allegiance I have to one team. I wanted to see one of the crown jewels in US soccer. I'll probably go check out Cosmos when they play at Coney Island next month. It basically comes down to, "eh. Why not?" haha

This is fantastic and awesome for you my friend. I love the game as well. I watch all MLS games that I can along with the European leagues but if you ask me, I would rather watch an MLS game, even if it is not NYCFC over any European match sans real madrid v barcelona.....but its great to hear you got into NYCFC, we all have had different paths to rooting for this team, its interesting to hear about yours. Thanks for sharing.