2016 AT&T MLS All-Star Game Presented by Audi

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
We know its in San Jose. There's an announcement tomorrow at 1 PM eastern time that will be live streamed at the following link. It will probably be the date of the game and hopefully the opponent (or East vs. West), which most recently has been Tottenham, Bayern Munich, Roma, Chelsea, Man United (2), Everton, West Ham, Celtic, Chelsea, Fulham.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/...star-game-announcement-live-san-jose-thursday

im probably in the minority here but is this really needed still? i get it at first to have exposure of the league, but i feel like this league is in the stage already that people around the world know about this league. having friendly euro vs mls club is fine but the whole all star thing is something i feel is not needed anymore.

Damn. I'd love to go back home for this. But it's on a Thursday?! What's up with that?

im probably in the minority here but is this really needed still? i get it at first to have exposure of the league, but i feel like this league is in the stage already that people around the world know about this league. having friendly euro vs mls club is fine but the whole all star thing is something i feel is not needed anymore.
I like All-Star games (except in Football, it no longer makes sense there) but I'm with you if you're going to do it, do it right. Intra-league, East vs. West. Doing an All-Star team of your entire league versus one team from another league... doesn't really speak highly of your league.

That said, MLS probably feels they're still trying to win over many of the "Euro-snob" persuasion and this is a good foot in the door to those people. Plus, it's usually the highest rated MLS game year-in and year-out so it won't be going away any time soon.

Vieira really should be coaching this match. Captain of the Invisibles vs. Coach of the Invisibles.

I like the all-star format, at least for now as MLS is still expanding and attracting new viewers. The game is a global sport and the best way for it to attract new followers is to schedule prestigious teams to spark an interest.

The best part is that the game is taken semi serious as the opposition is in preseason and the MLS team wants to "make a statement". I've watched the past few games and I've enjoyed all of them. The only drawback is a lot of deserving players get snubbed from the game and aren't recognized, but I feel like the positives outweigh this negative, at least for now, until we as a league become more recognized.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Send NYCFC to San Jose...

Saunders, Matarrita, Hernandez, McNamara, Pirlo, Diskerud, Shelton, and Villa are up for nomination...

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2016/vote
Can we not? We have a game 2 days later against Colorado.

Let's vote for Colorado's players to go so they're tired. Vote Colorado, Red Bulls and other eastern conference teams.

Can we not? We have a game 2 days later against Colorado.

Let's vote for Colorado's players to go so they're tired. Vote Colorado, Red Bulls and other eastern conference teams.
I have a feeling our players would appreciate not having to play in that farce.... some would miss out on the bonus, but whatevs.... let Lampard buy lunch for everybody for a month.

Did my part... Colorado and NJ should be well represented.

It is weird, putting aside the desire to rest our guys. After the massacre it feels like we should have no one in the All Star game. But then you look at the standings and we're still in second place. That should garner 1-3 players. I guess Villa would represent. But it sure doesn't feel (especially this week) like we are a squad with All Stars.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Thoughts on who the two Commissioner's Picks will be?

I have a feeling Pirlo and Tim Howard