2016 AT&T MLS All-Star Game Presented by Audi

Vieira on the 2016 AT&T MLS All-Star Game versus Arsenal presented by Audi:

“I don’t care at all about that game,” Vieira grumbled. “I think it is really frustrating because you’re losing players who go to an exhibition game. We have games that are more important than that exhibition game.”​

Vieira on the 2016 AT&T MLS All-Star Game versus Arsenal presented by Audi:

“I don’t care at all about that game,” Vieira grumbled. “I think it is really frustrating because you’re losing players who go to an exhibition game. We have games that are more important than that exhibition game.”​
It truly is bullshit. Imagine what arsenal would say to offering 2 of their starters so they could play a midweek preseason warm up game vs a MLS team, right in the middle of their championship push? fuck off is what.

If you are going to play a useless all star game, then it should comprise "all stars" from the league only, and they should dedicate a proper rest period between the match and restart of the season.

Small minded mentality like this is what will keep the MLS as 2nd class citizens in the world view. Don't tell me it will help grow the game having Arsenal here, cause we could still do that and have them play someone like Barcelona and it will do just as much good.

It truly is bullshit. Imagine what arsenal would say to offering 2 of their starters so they could play a midweek preseason warm up game vs a MLS team, right in the middle of their championship push? fuck off is what.

If you are going to play a useless all star game, then it should comprise "all stars" from the league only, and they should dedicate a proper rest period between the match and restart of the season.

Small minded mentality like this is what will keep the MLS as 2nd class citizens in the world view. Don't tell me it will help grow the game having Arsenal here, cause we could still do that and have them play someone like Barcelona and it will do just as much good.
Supposedly snubbing the ASG means a player can't play the next game. Part of me wishes PV would say fine, we aren't playing a game that's pointless and we'll hold our guys out anyway and rest them. MLS loses because the fans don't get to see Pirlo and Villa (if he wasn't already suspended with the yellow) against Colorado and the team with a deep pocketed owner loses because they can't use their players.

I'd rather make a statement and "sacrifice" the one match (but hope the subs can pull it out) and never have any FC players go to the ASG again. Let those guys have a midseason rest for a week to recharge before the playoff push. Risking injury and fatigue for a meaningless game is asinine.

Reactions: adam
Supposedly snubbing the ASG means a player can't play the next game. Part of me wishes PV would say fine, we aren't playing a game that's pointless and we'll hold our guys out anyway and rest them. MLS loses because the fans don't get to see Pirlo and Villa (if he wasn't already suspended with the yellow) against Colorado and the team with a deep pocketed owner loses because they can't use their players.

I'd rather make a statement and "sacrifice" the one match (but hope the subs can pull it out) and never have any FC players go to the ASG again. Let those guys have a midseason rest for a week to recharge before the playoff push. Risking injury and fatigue for a meaningless game is asinine.

Garber announced the "Miss the ASG, miss a game" rule in December at the final.
I think the ASG is one US sports tradition that MLS would do well to drop. It's turned into a pointless ritual that almost nobody watches in every other sport anyway, so it's not like this is some beloved feature they need to keep up for the US market. As best as I can tell in MLS, it's fun for the host city fans but nobody else gets very excited about it either. If they keep it they should handle the rest period better, but they can't afford to skip a week of games as the league can barely give teams off during international play as it is.
But if you have the ASG it makes sense to enforce attendance and this rule is reasonable. What I don't then get is -- if enough players were skipping the game, why didn't their ownership/management just vote to drop the game altogether? Are AT&T and Audi that desperate to promote this?

It's also ridiculous that we play on Saturday afternoon and everyone else (aside from our opponents Colorado) play on Sunday.
It's a mystery. The Yanks don't play at YS until Wednesday. You can normally explain why we play on Saturday afternoon as being due to a Tuesday night Yankee return from a road trip.

Reactions: danger
It's a mystery. The Yanks don't play at YS until Wednesday. You can normally explain why we play on Saturday afternoon as being due to a Tuesday night Yankee return from a road trip.
I wonder if when they scheduled it they thought they would get a national TV spot but it didn't pan out.

I wonder if when they scheduled it they thought they would get a national TV spot but it didn't pan out.
It's as reasonable a guess as any. My other WAG (not Wives and Girlfriends - we already had that discussion here) is that the Yanks and Mets play 2 games at Citi on Monday and Tuesday, then 2 at YS Wednesday and Thursday. I wonder - and this really is just a WAG - if there was thought given to going Citi-YS-Citi-YS as a stunt thing, and so they scheduled the NYCFC game earlier to allow for that possibility.

Reactions: FootyLovin
It's as reasonable a guess as any. My other WAG (not Wives and Girlfriends - we already had that discussion here) is that the Yanks and Mets play 2 games at Citi on Monday and Tuesday, then 2 at YS Wednesday and Thursday. I wonder - and this really is just a WAG - if there was thought given to going Citi-YS-Citi-YS as a stunt thing, and so they scheduled the NYCFC game earlier to allow for that possibility.
Nice to see the return of this version of WAG.

WHAT DAVID VILLA THINKS IS WRONG WITH EUROPEAN FOOTBALL...is how a clickbait site would title this video. Villa says that European leagues should have an All Star Game. How would that work exactly? UK Premier League Players vs. World Premier League Players? Premier League vs. La Liga?

WHAT DAVID VILLA THINKS IS WRONG WITH EUROPEAN FOOTBALL...is how a clickbait site would title this video. Villa says that European leagues should have an All Star Game. How would that work exactly? UK Premier League Players vs. World Premier League Players? Premier League vs. La Liga?

Alternative clickbait headline:
NYCFC stars openly feud with their coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC and Paul
The point of the All Star Game recently has been to show off MLS's new stadiums. We'll likely see next year's game in Atlanta or Orlando (depending on construction). LAFC will get a game and so will Minnesota.

We'll get one when we have our soccer stadium, but what probability would you give to having the MLS ASG at Yankee Stadium?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
The point of the All Star Game recently has been to show off MLS's new stadiums. We'll likely see next year's game in Atlanta or Orlando (depending on construction). LAFC will get a game and so will Minnesota.

We'll get one when we have our soccer stadium, but what probability would you give to having the MLS ASG at Yankee Stadium?
Zero.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
i like avaya. rake looks high and you now lobina. they also have room to expand with that open lobina side. i just dont like the way their luxary rich people section looks on tv below the rest of the stadium.

Lots of fun so far. Here are some pics from the field and some of the other events.