2016 Jersey Thread

So we're getting a new home jersey for next year.................which means we're stuck with this ridiculous jersey for TWO YEARS! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

EDIT: Imagine if they mess those up too, we'll have two gross jerseys instead of just one

Well that's not exactly correct since the Historic Home Jersey was a bland shirt with the City-blue color. There was no original design to that.
they still have to pick the material, the jock tag, layout, and other things - yes, it's close to Man City's, but it's not an exact copy and just because it's basic, doesn't mean it took no time at all - they had to get two jerseys done in a year and immediately start the third

So we're getting a new home jersey for next year.................which means we're stuck with this ridiculous jersey for TWO YEARS! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

EDIT: Imagine if they mess those up too, we'll have two gross jerseys instead of just one
I wonder if we'll be like SJ (?) and keep the Home and only change the Away? How much will CFG really want to alter the Home Jersey since it's their marquee image/design?

That's not guaranteed at all.

Reactions: Ulrich
they still have to pick the material, the jock tag, layout, and other things - yes, it's close to Man City's, but it's not an exact copy and just because it's basic, doesn't mean it took no time at all - they had to get two jerseys done in a year and immediately start the third
You're kidding right???

Adidas has a selection of materials for the year and there aren't that many (the Black Away was original, but we're talking about the Home). The Layout can't be any more basic than it is for the Home Jersey (logo left breast, sponsor mid chest, MLS Crests in usual spots). The Jock Tag is added after the shirt is made. Color scheme by Man City - automatic.

I'm not sure there could have been a more simple design than what we got.

Reactions: BxLio91
You're kidding right???

Adidas has a selection of materials for the year and there aren't that many (the Black Away was original, but we're talking about the Home). The Layout can't be any more basic than it is for the Home Jersey (logo left breast, sponsor mid chest, MLS Crests in usual spots). The Jock Tag is added after the shirt is made. Color scheme by Man City - automatic.

I'm not sure there could have been a more simple design than what we got.
I wasn't kidding, but that's okay - you clearly don't like it and I'm not trying to change your mind or anyone's for that matter, so it's all good man

The reveal video is really well done. Love that they let the players surprise the fans.

What annoys me about the new jersey is that it could have been beautiful if it weren't for those damn rings. I get the idea of expressing the energy of the city, but the execution is just awful. It's hard for me to think that not a single person at Adidas or NYCFC looked at this and thought it was shit, especially at Adidas where you have designers working.

A good designer with good taste would not think this is good design, and would not present something like this to a client. Unless of course they were forced to do it by some tasteless suit at NYCFC. That is very possible. Happens all the time.

What the hell is the purpose of a jocktag? Why do jersey designers feel the need to jam a bunch of elements on the shirt?

Front: Team Logo, Manufacturer's Logo, Sponsor's Logo
Back: Player Name, Player Number

The reveal video is really well done. Love that they let the players surprise the fans.

What annoys me about the new jersey is that it could have been beautiful if it weren't for those damn rings. I get the idea of expressing the energy of the city, but the execution is just awful. It's hard for me to think that not a single person at Adidas or NYCFC looked at this and thought it was shit, especially at Adidas where you have designers working.

A good designer with good taste would not think this is good design, and would not present something like this to a client. Unless of course they were forced to do it by some tasteless suit at NYCFC. That is very possible. Happens all the time.
In design (at least in Architecture), typically a client is shown three options to choose from. The designers definitely have a favorite, and maybe even two favs with the third being something they know will be dismissed immediately. I cannot imagine what the other two options were that got axed.... or a scarier thought is that the Onion jersey was supposed to be the third/discardable option that nobody on the design team figured would be chosen.

Reactions: adam
I'm not getting an energy vibe. The concentric rings make me think of the waves generated by dropping a pebble in water. The water just absorbs the energy from the external source and dissipates it. Not exactly inspiring.

Reactions: Ulrich

thumb.aspx
article-0-0A688777000005DC-205_468x442.jpg

I'm not getting an energy vibe. The concentric rings make me think of the waves generated by dropping a pebble in water. The water just absorbs the energy from the external source and dissipates it. Not exactly inspiring.
I see it more of a "ripple effect" where our team is "making waves" throughout the league and beyond

I wonder if we'll be like SJ (?) and keep the Home and only change the Away? How much will CFG really want to alter the Home Jersey since it's their marquee image/design?
That's not guaranteed at all.

I hate to do this to you guys, but the ass clown Mike Walker (sounds like the guy in charge of all MLS team jerseys), did an interview with NYCFC.com and unfortunately this was at the end of it:

"Walker also gave the NYCFC.com team a sneak peek on the early design pitches for next season’s home kit.
“There will be a new design element, but I would expect it to be City blue,” said Walker."

Soooooo unless we can either break MLS jersey trends and come out with two jerseys in a year or go back to the black away kit (which I like more personally), we're stuck with these for at least two years

Reactions: BxLio91 and adam
They actually addressed this in the BTS interview with the designer.
Walker also gave the NYCFC.com team a sneak peek on the early design pitches for next season’s home kit.
"There will be a new design element, but I would expect it to be City blue,” said Walker.
So, new home kit next year, basic city blue concept, some [probably very limited] design changes.

ETA: Konrad Konrad beat me by seconds.

Reactions: Konrad
I hate to do this to you guys, but the ass clown Mike Walker (sounds like the guy in charge of all MLS team jerseys), did an interview with NYCFC.com and unfortunately this was at the end of it:

"Walker also gave the NYCFC.com team a sneak peek on the early design pitches for next season’s home kit.
“There will be a new design element, but I would expect it to be City blue,” said Walker."

Soooooo unless we can either break MLS jersey trends and come out with two jerseys in a year or go back to the black away kit (which I like more personally), we're stuck with these for at least two years
My money is on a 3rd kit in addition to the Home kit for next year....

Reactions: Paul and Konrad