2017 Roster Discussion

i disagree with this for all sorts of reasons but even if this is the players you want to go with why is moralez on the wing and lopez playing CAM? at least swap the 2.

It's possible you're joking and I completely missed it but the 4-3-3 formation we play has no wings in the midfield. We also don't really have a CAM. Ring typically plays as a holding CDM with Herrera and Maxi going box to box as CMs. Maxi shades a little more towards offense with Herrera playing more D but are CMs.

I think K Kjbert is projecting that Lopez plays the Ring spot and TMac slots in as the other CM next to Maxi in his typical role.

If we didn't have any injuries and the Peruvian NT coach weren't an idiot, we could realistically expect/fear up to 8 call ups from our ideal starting XI: SJ, Matarrita, Callens, Chanot, Ring, Herrera, Wallace, Villa. That's apocalyptic.

Apocalyptic and also incredible for us in recruiting. Sends a message: you bring your A game to NYCFC and MLS, you will still get called up.

You gotta think Villa is aiming for the 2018 WC.

It's possible you're joking and I completely missed it but the 4-3-3 formation we play has no wings in the midfield. We also don't really have a CAM. Ring typically plays as a holding CDM with Herrera and Maxi going box to box as CMs. Maxi shades a little more towards offense with Herrera playing more D but are CMs.

I think K Kjbert is projecting that Lopez plays the Ring spot and TMac slots in as the other CM next to Maxi in his typical role.

Im not joking and the refusal to adapt and play a different system boggles my mind more than anything. Both from people in the forum and PV.

Having Lopez as the central link to your wingers (or 2 central midfielders) and forwards is not smart.

Correct

Reactions: gbservis
Im not joking and the refusal to adapt and play a different system boggles my mind more than anything. Both from people in the forum and PV.

Having Lopez as the central link to your wingers (or 2 central midfielders) and forwards is not smart.

Why do we need to play a different system? We often change tactically to fit the game - whether it is to go 3-4-3 towards the end of a match we are losing or a flat 4-4-2 in a match we are winning. Not only that, we often go down the M1 in matches we are winning, taking advantage of Okoli, Shelton or Wallace in that manner.

Reactions: gbservis
Herrera was just called up as well.

So at the moment, we would be without Ring, Villa, and Herrera. I'm sure Wallace will get called up as well. With the way SeanJohn is playing, he may get called up. And I wouldn't throw out the possibility of Callens.

Add injuries to Camargo, Chanot, and Matarrita, and it's not looking good.
Peru already named their squad and Callens isn't on it.

Why do we need to play a different system? We often change tactically to fit the game - whether it is to go 3-4-3 towards the end of a match we are losing or a flat 4-4-2 in a match we are winning. Not only that, we often go down the M1 in matches we are winning, taking advantage of Okoli, Shelton or Wallace in that manner.

Because the players we are using to replace our normal players don't fit that system.

In no world can Lopez do what ring does for us. In no world is tommy Mac gonna do what Herrera does for us.

Our defense is still trash and now you're asking okoli to fill villas shoes with the poor distribution he's gonna get from that garbage midfield.

anyway, im heading over to shitbull arena. Let's get 3 boys! Peace and love peace and love.

Because the players we are using to replace our normal players don't fit that system.

In no world can Lopez do what ring does for us. In no world is tommy Mac gonna do what Herrera does for us.

Our defense is still trash and now you're asking okoli to fill villas shoes with the poor distribution he's gonna get from that garbage midfield.

anyway, im heading over to shitbull arena. Let's get 3 boys! Peace and love peace and love.

Ringo,

Those players don't fit in most systems. Lopez is a defensive player used to chase games when we are winning. He's positionless. McNamara? I don't know. He's gotten worse. He's probably a secondary striker. But he's positionless. Okoli is a hold up CF that fits any formation.

Ringo,

Those players don't fit in most systems. Lopez is a defensive player used to chase games when we are winning. He's positionless. McNamara? I don't know. He's gotten worse. He's probably a secondary striker. But he's positionless. Okoli is a hold up CF that fits any formation.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I have a few questions after watching us sadly loose White tonight:

1. What is the MLS policy on player coaches?
2. If a coach plays do they count against the cap?
3. How much can PV run at this point? Should we play him in his normal midfield spot or use him as the middle CB in a 3 man back line?

Well, Brillant looked terrible when he was a spot starter/sub, but has settled in pretty good once a regular starter, can RJ settle in once he get's regular minutes?

That's my super optimistic look at it.

My realistic look is: RJ Allen has been sooo bad, that even if he suddenly plays 3x better, it will still be shit.

My other optimistic look is: Put Mikey Lopez at RB. He HAS to be better than RJ, right? Plus, this would get him out of the midfield.

We don't have many options at this point. If Chanot was healthy, we could have put Brillant out there, but obviously he is not. I'm not sure a back 3 with Ben Sweat is a good idea. Sucks to have 3 starting backs out.

Hopefully The mothership can bail us out with a loan.

Last edited:
So how many guys do we have eligible to play right now?

Allen, Awuah, Brillant, Callens, Harrison, Johansen, Johnson, Lewis, McNamara, Moralez, Okoli, Pirlo, Rawls, Sands, Shelton, Stertzer, Sweat

Int'l Duty: Villa, Ring, Wallace (also Yellow Card suspension), Herrera
Injured: Chanot, Camargo, Matarrita, White, Lopez
Loaned Out: Mena, Gomez

Reactions: Kjbert

Allen, Awuah, Brillant, Callens, Harrison, Johansen, Johnson, Lewis, McNamara, Moralez, Okoli, Pirlo, Rawls, Sands, Shelton, Stertzer, Sweat

Int'l Duty: Villa, Ring, Wallace (also Yellow Card suspension), Herrera
Injured: Chanot, Camargo, Matarrita, White, Lopez
Loaned Out: Mena, Gomez
I hope someone is taking a look at our conditioning staff and regimen. I know Camargo was a bit of an impact injury but the others may have been more preventable. Maybe somebody with more education can chime in on the statistical significance of our current injury situation.