2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
This is a big concern of mine. So why would we sign these types of players if Domè doesn't think they lead us to be successful? Would we even look at them if they didnt have ties to Domè? Shouldn't every signing in a salary capped league be the next brick to build towards a team that competes at the highest level possible?
It's still a rumor so we're shooting the shit but IMO going that route won't work.
In a salary capped league I think you need a lot of different kinds of bricks. Sometimes you need a stop gap. I think there is a lot of conjecture and a lot we don't know, but I still have hope that these types of things make sense in some way. I understand the concern, but think we are a long way from a team of Dome's friends.

In a salary capped league I think you need a lot of different kinds of bricks. Sometimes you need a stop gap. I think there is a lot of conjecture and a lot we don't know, but I still have hope that these types of things make sense in some way. I understand the concern, but think we are a long way from a team of Dome's friends.
That's fair. I think the Kreis year of signing older players past it due to their connection to the coach has me weary of such signings. And Amagat was a throwback to that.

Amagat... Now that's someone you can build a team around.
giphy.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/wiki/transfer_reliability_guide

r/soccer rates

sport.es as Tier 3: Unreliable, and not to be trusted solo. They fall into near click-bait practices and are often fighting for relevance in a sea of rumours.

as.es as Tier 4: Not to be trusted at all. These companies make money out of ensuring that you read them and they will make up anything to get you to harness advertising revenue.

The problem with this system is that r/soccer itself is a Tier 3 source at best.

As a non-DP, definitely worth a look. With the injury history, nothing more. He has been a terrific player when healthy, but the last couple of years have not been special. He is 31 with multiple knee operations. I have a lot of confidence that he can be an effective player if he stays healthy, but I feel the same about Villa.

One other bonus is that he will count as domestic.

Would he? He represents Italy internationally. Sorry in advance if this was something that went way over my head though, haha.

Responding to all thread participants now - I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole unless it was for Ben Sweat-type money.
I believe he was referring to USOC rules, which I believe requires a certain amount of either US born, or full US citizens on the field. Many of our players count as domestics in MLS because of green cards, but not for USOC.

Reactions: Yankeedom
I believe he was referring to USOC rules, which I believe requires a certain amount of either US born, or full US citizens on the field. Many of our players count as domestics in MLS because of green cards, but not for USOC.
That would be super illegal under US labor law. USOC just requires a certain number of domestics on the roster and you can't get around it by trading for international slots.

I don't get the Rossi hate, really. I guess smaller football nations feel it more deeply when one of their more promising prospects decides to play for the heritage nation instead of the land of their birth, but that happens all the time, for example with Argentineans playing for Italy, and people don't really show that level of vitriol against the player. But maybe that's because there's a dozen guys behind him at the same level. If Maradona had done it would be a different story maybe.

Anyway, in terms of talent he would be one of the best players we've ever had, so I would say if he's fit maybe low-level TAM because of the injury history. He's 31 but his knees are 90 I guess.

I don't get the Rossi hate, really. I guess smaller football nations feel it more deeply when one of their more promising prospects decides to play for the heritage nation instead of the land of their birth, but that happens all the time, for example with Argentineans playing for Italy, and people don't really show that level of vitriol against the player. But maybe that's because there's a dozen guys behind him at the same level. If Maradona had done it would be a different story maybe.

Anyway, in terms of talent he would be one of the best players we've ever had, so I would say if he's fit maybe low-level TAM because of the injury history. He's 31 but his knees are 90 I guess.

I'm not sure the argument that most fan bases don't care holds up remember Diego Costa at the 2014 WC? The Brazilians were pissed and they have way more talent than the USMNT. Brazil did need a striker though so maybe it's just a matter of if the team could use the player or not and the USMNT could definitely have used Rossi.

Also with regards to NYCFC, Rossi can take his bum knees and go find some crap team in Europe to play for. Don't come hobbling back at 31 when no other team wants you looking for handouts. What current players min do we want old slow Rossi taking? He's not going to play enough defense to fit on the wing and if Villa is gone we better have a more impressive solution in the middle than washed up Rossi.