2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I believe I read DV has a net worth around $50M, and that was before his far-east tour, so he’s got the funds to do the team on his own (not the stadium) if he wants to. I’d still assume he’s got partners (for the team and stadium), and maybe it’s CFG, but that’s not a given nor alluded to anywhere in the media. It could be anybody else with deep pockets, and hopefully it is another person/entity to limit what CFG does in the city since the branding for NYCFC has been so original.

I believe you have to be worth $100 million to own a USL franchise. There’s also a big difference between having a net worth of $50 million and being liquid to that figure. I don’t know where you got that $50 million figure, but he netted out about $12 million over 4 years playing for NYCFC. I believe the Club provided a hefty housing allowance.

Lol is that MLS’ way of saying Atlanta will carry 4 DPs this year?
That doesn't make sense. If they pay Pity's entire fee this year that doesn't help them.

Or are you suggesting either time travel and/or letting Atlanta retroactively violate the cap in prior years?

Realistically, I saw an article somewhere suggesting that Atlanta might try to loan Barco out until the summer. This allows Almiron to play in CCL, and they then sell him in the more active summer market.

Apropos of nothing: I like that our offseason target list so far appears to consist entirely of players who are good on the ball, either dribbling or passing but usually both. Rocha, Barraza, Parks, MacKay-Steven, even Ofori. Suggests a definite vision of what Dome and Reyna are looking to build, whether or not it turns out to be the right plan.

Last edited:
Apropos of nothing: I like that our offseason target list so far appears to consist entirely of players who are good on the ball, either dribbling or passing but usually both. Rocha, Parks, MacKay-Steven, even Ofori. Suggests a definite vision of what Dome and Reyna are looking to build, whether or not it turns out to be the right plan.
And Haak

I believe you have to be worth $100 million to own a USL franchise. There’s also a big difference between having a net worth of $50 million and being liquid to that figure. I don’t know where you got that $50 million figure, but he netted out about $12 million over 4 years playing for NYCFC. I believe the Club provided a hefty housing allowance.
First hit (and second) on Google show $50M for Villa. No idea of it's accuracy, but no website can claim full knowledge without seeing banking statements.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-soccer/david-villa-net-worth/

Power Point presentation by USL with a page (25) devoted to expansion and ownership minimums which amount to $20M for the primary owner.
https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/0132/9314/D3_USL_Pitch_Deck.pdf

upload_2019-1-21_20-36-32.png

Reactions: Kjbert
I could be led to believe that Villa has made $50 million in his career up until now. No way he’s worth $50 million. 50%+ of every dollar he’s ever made has gone to taxes.

I could be led to believe that Villa has made $50 million in his career up until now. No way he’s worth $50 million. 50%+ of every dollar he’s ever made has gone to taxes.
He has image rights, sponsorships, endorsements, likely a good financial advisor(s) that makes smart investments..... maybe he owns profitable businesses...... could have bought property and sold for a profit..... there's lots of avenues for a pro athlete to accumulate wealth.

He has image rights, sponsorships, endorsements, likely a good financial advisor(s) that makes smart investments..... maybe he owns profitable businesses...... could have bought property and sold for a profit..... there's lots of avenues for a pro athlete to accumulate wealth.

Listen. You very well may be right.

I just find it hard to believe that he was making anything close to the $6 million he made as a CFG employee while he was in Spain.

Listen. You very well may be right.

I just find it hard to believe that he was making anything close to the $6 million he made as a CFG employee while he was in Spain.
Believe it.

When Barcelona signed him, it was for four seasons, until 2014, during which time he would receive a sum of €7.5 million a year. MARCA has discovered, however, that the club accepted the inclusion of a clause by which it is required to pay €11 million to the footballer in his last season.

https://www.marca.com/2013/06/08/en/football/barcelona/1370680288.html

Players also get a percentage of their transfer fees.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Off topic, but it wouldn’t it make more sense for Queensboro FC to be a joint venture between CFG and the DV7 group? How the hell is Villa carrying those costs on his own?
Does Villa reject a NYCFC contract to go to Japan if CFG was helping to finance his team or did he go to Japan for one last big payday to help raise money for the project? Does some group like Sterling Equities get involved?

Off topic, but it wouldn’t it make more sense for Queensboro FC to be a joint venture between CFG and the DV7 group? How the hell is Villa carrying those costs on his own?

CFG usually goes for an 80/20 partnership. So 80% CFG and 20% DV7.

I think CFG understands the US soccer market that Queensboro FC would market better than NYCFC II. I don't think NYCFC fans would care if the name is or isn't NYCFC II, but there are likely some percentage of fans that wouldn't support a team directly named NYCFC II but want an independently named team.

CFG usually goes for an 80/20 partnership. So 80% CFG and 20% DV7.

I think CFG understands the US soccer market that Queensboro FC would market better than NYCFC II. I don't think NYCFC fans would care if the name is or isn't NYCFC II, but there are likely some percentage of fans that wouldn't support a team directly named NYCFC II but want an independently named team.
They should go one step further and form a new Boro Football Group for their hypothetical global network of lower league teams.