2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I wonder what the process is for getting rights to foreign players. You think you'd be able to do some sleuthing, find players that want to play in America, get their rights, and then sell them across the league. Has to be more complicated than that, though.

Reactions: Ulrich
I wonder what the process is for getting rights to foreign players. You think you'd be able to do some sleuthing, find players that want to play in America, get their rights, and then sell them across the league. Has to be more complicated than that, though.
It's the Discovery Process:
https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#discover-process

In short, each team gets to select 7 players who are not in MLS and not subject to other rules (like Allocation Ranking) and you then own their rights, and if someone else wants to sign them, they have to pay you. This being MLS, there's a ton of specific wrinkles but that's the basic idea. I presume most teams split their list between their own targets (assuming another team hasn't already claimed them) and some players they just think will be MLS-bound as you suggest.

ETA: but it wasn't the Discovery Process in this instance. Somehow we acquired Venuto's "right-of-first-refusal" which is discussed on the same page. FIIK how we did that. Maybe we made a good faith reasonable attempt to sign him and failed, which is one of the ways mentioned on that same link I posted above.

Last edited:
It's the Discovery Process:
https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations#discover-process

In short, each team gets to select 7 players who are not in MLS and not subject to other rules (like Allocation Ranking) and you then own their rights, and if someone else wants to sign them, they have to pay you. This being MLS, there's a ton of specific wrinkles but that's the basic idea. I presume most teams split their list between their own targets (assuming another team hasn't already claimed them) and some players they just think will be MLS-bound as you suggest.

ETA: but it wasn't the Discovery Process in this instance. Somehow we acquired Venuto's "right-of-first-refusal" which is discussed on the same page. FIIK how we did that. Maybe we made a good faith reasonable attempt to sign him and failed, which is one of the ways mentioned on that same link I posted above.
I think the big clue that we had more than token interest was the amount of GAM we got. If you don't make a serious attempt to sign a player on your discovery list, you can only get 50k GAM.

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2019/01/...nd-jo-inge-berget-mutually-terminate-contract

New York City FC and Jo Inge Berget Mutually Terminate Contract

New York City FC and Jo Inge Berget have agreed to mutually terminate the forward’s contract, the Club announced today.

The Norwegian international striker made 23 Regular Season appearances for the Boys in Blue in 2018, scoring four goals and recording three assists.

Berget, 28, joined City from Malmo FF in January 2018 and helped his team to a third place finish in the Eastern Conference. Before NYCFC, Jo made 104 appearances for Malmo (with 38 goals and 20 assists).

New York City FC would like to thank Jo for his contribution to the Club and wish him well for the future.