2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
Putting my tinfoil hat on for a sec, Villa is not coming back so they're figuring out a way to drop the news. With the clubs track record they might dump it on Friday afternoon.
Isn’t this not up to the club? I thought it was a league mandated report date.

The Villa thing is no excuse to not get this info out. I don't need it last week like when Philly did it. But there's no reason the information shouldn't drop by 9 AM the day after. The league already has the info. The players already have the info.

The Villa thing is no excuse to not get this info out. I don't need it last week like when Philly did it. But there's no reason the information shouldn't drop by 9 AM the day after. The league already has the info. The players already have the info.

I mean it's weird though because the league pushes this info out while clubs are still negotiating with a lot of players. Maybe the holdup is Villa or maybe NYCFC is just trying to close a couple minor deals before announcing because why not.

Or maybe they hate us.

This club has quite the "ignorance is bliss" attitude, but all the fans have a "give us the fuckin' deets already." attitude about everything. When the fan and club's visions don't align, that's usually not a good sign.

They probably don’t have a replacement lined up, for whatever reason beit that they haven’t figured out whom they want or they’ve been turned down, and they’re just now realizing the optics of this “roster-retirement” announcement (even if the correct cap decision) is gonna depress an already unhappy base of STH.

They probably don’t have a replacement lined up, for whatever reason beit that they haven’t figured out whom they want or they’ve been turned down, and they’re just now realizing the optics of this “roster-retirement” announcement (even if the correct cap decision) is gonna depress an already unhappy base of STH.

And right before season ticket downgrades begin. My tour in the SS starts at 9am tomorrow. I’ll tell the rep it’s becuase there was no roster news ;)

This club has quite the "ignorance is bliss" attitude, but all the fans have a "give us the fuckin' deets already." attitude about everything. When the fan and club's visions don't align, that's usually not a good sign.

What percentage of season ticket holders do you think really care about us missing this deadline? Like, really care about it? If you asked around your STH friends, how many have been following this deadline closely today?

What percentage of season ticket holders do you think really care about us missing this deadline? Like, really care about it? If you asked around your STH friends, how many have been following this deadline closely today?
It's not only about this deadline- it's about everything that they don't tell us, which just piles up and up.
I do agree that many people won't care, but there is a wholesome population that does- and at this point the STH base is slowly trickling down to just those people that do care about those details.

It's not only about this deadline- it's about everything that they don't tell us, which just piles up and up.
I do agree that many people won't care, but there is a wholesome population that does- and at this point the STH base is slowly trickling down to just those people that do care about those details.

Yup. Part of following a team. Is more than just watching the matches. I’m not a 90 min a week fan. And neither are the rest of us on here. I could really care less about players’ personal lives. But when it comes to the nitty gritty of roster construction, I want all the info that won’t cost my team a competiitve edge. They spend all this effort making periscope videos of players doing stupid shit like soccer tennis but can’t send out a small press release about whose contract hasn’t been extended? My annoyance is that their efforts are extended in the wrong direction. Becuase it’s obvious they have the manpower and ability. They just don’t give a shit what we want.

Putting my tinfoil hat on for a sec, Villa is not coming back so they're figuring out a way to drop the news. With the clubs track record they might dump it on Friday afternoon.
How much of this roster announcement will really be news in regards to Villa, though? He is out of contract, everyone knows that. They could negotiate another year, or they might not, but they don’t need to have done that yet.

How much of this roster announcement will really be news in regards to Villa, though? He is out of contract, everyone knows that. They could negotiate another year, or they might not, but they don’t need to have done that yet.
Season ticket renewals.

Easy to imagine Villa having knock-on effects down the roster though. Could be the club needed to settle that before deciding some contract extensions.

Easy to imagine Villa having knock-on effects down the roster though. Could be the club needed to settle that before deciding some contract extensions.
I'd like to think this is most likely the case. I'd say it's only a matter of time until leaks start coming out from MLS about the roster, and that one would hope NYCFC get ahead of those leaks. But they haven't in the past so who knows what they are doing/waiting on.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Based on your thread, DC, LAFC, New England, NYCFC, RSL and San Jose are the holdouts.

But RSL just dropped.
And LAFC dropped last night too. Benny Feilhaber is out of contract. By my read, he should be eligible for free agency.

Also, New England announced a homegrown signing and was shown as only having 20 players on its roster, so who knows if they have more to announce.

That leaves DC, NYC, San Jose and maybe New England.

New England announced a homegrown signing and was shown as only having 20 players on its roster, so who knows if they have more to announce.
I find it hard to believe they released nobody and exercised zero options. On the other hand, the story about this kid has their roster listed like all the other roster announcements so who knows.

I don't really care about the timeline for the announcement with regards to when we get the news. It could be strategic. My bigger concern is that it's not strategic and they are just slow and disorganized. There have been enough signings late in training camp and at other odd times that appear like they ran out of time and panicked for me to be a bit considered that there are some levels of dysfunction within the organization. Could be that CFG complicates things needing to weigh in on or sign off on things in a way other teams don't have to deal with. Could be that their process is a bit clunky or the FO could have been done with this weeks ago and the publishing team just sat on it. Who knows, but I do think the general lack of transparency doesn't help them in managing the perception of dysfunction when we seem to consistently do many things late as compared to other teams.

I don't really care about the timeline for the announcement with regards to when we get the news. It could be strategic. My bigger concern is that it's not strategic and they are just slow and disorganized. There have been enough signings late in training camp and at other odd times that appear like they ran out of time and panicked for me to be a bit considered that there are some levels of dysfunction within the organization. Could be that CFG complicates things needing to weigh in on or sign off on things in a way other teams don't have to deal with. Could be that their process is a bit clunky or the FO could have been done with this weeks ago and the publishing team just sat on it. Who knows, but I do think the general lack of transparency doesn't help them in managing the perception of dysfunction when we seem to consistently do many things late as compared to other teams.

I think our front office doesn't have a clue what it's doing. On virtually anything. Atlanta drives a stake into the "ground" to begin its matches. We have a plastic button that isn't attached to anything.

I'm not sure it's dysfunction, I think its ineptitude.

And LAFC dropped last night too. Benny Feilhaber is out of contract. By my read, he should be eligible for free agency.

Also, New England announced a homegrown signing and was shown as only having 20 players on its roster, so who knows if they have more to announce.

That leaves DC, NYC, San Jose and maybe New England.

i thought it was montreal, galaxy were missing too, i dont know if Cincy technically has to announce anything