2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I think our front office doesn't have a clue what it's doing. On virtually anything. Atlanta drives a stake into the "ground" to begin its matches. We have a plastic button that isn't attached to anything.

I'm not sure it's dysfunction, I think its ineptitude.

Not sure which part of the front office this is directed at, but Reyna's staff doesn't strike me as inept.

A lot of people are talking about STH status and renewals dropping because of the roster news, so not going to quote everyone in this reply.

There are a multitude of reasons why STH aren't renewing and lack of significant roster news shouldn't really be one of them. Yeah, it's frustrating not knowing what's going on with the roster and it always seems NYCFC is always a step or two behind every other team when it comes to releasing info, but that stuff shouldn't really play into not renewing a ticket. The lack of a stadium would be issue number 1. I know a lot of season tickets that were sold year 1 were corporate seats. I also know a lot of them didn't renew their tickets because of the lack of stadium movement. Casual fans being priced out of tickets for either travel pricing, ticket prices or whatever pricing increases occur. And then you have the big elephant in the room: it's cheaper to purchase tickets on the secondary market than it is for season tickets. I was able to get great seats for a game last year (I don't recall who we played) for $8. That's insane. There are no significant perks to being a STH aside from the rewards program, and even then most of those are meh or are won by the same 6 people. Once the stadium comes in 2067, STH renewals will come back up. Not because of lack of roster news.

Excuse me while I go cry in the corner
giphy.gif

So there’s another Yangel Herrera from South America that plays striker and is worth DP money, because the guy who’s been playing on our team the last two years is good but not DP worthy????

If that’s not the team getting caught with their pants down and no good signing options, then IDK..... once again feels like they are sweeping up a problem rather than getting out in front with their acquisitions.

You guys are so pessimistic about everything, can you at least wait to see how we replace Villa before complaining?

So there’s another Yangel Herrera from South America that plays striker and is worth DP money, because the guy who’s been playing on our team the last two years is good but not DP worthy????

If that’s not the team getting caught with their pants down and no good signing options, then IDK..... once again feels like they are sweeping up a problem rather than getting out in front with their acquisitions.

Herrera is great but yeah, the case for making him a DP is slim.

The argument for:
  • He obviously deserves a raise.
  • Giving him one could induce him to stick around.
  • You get a Young DP, so you can invest more in the middle of the roster.
The argument against:
  • Center mids are cheap in MLS. Even if Herrera had played every minute for NYCFC this season, his expected compensation would barely crack the max budget charge.
  • $350k in cap space buys you a lot less potential advantage than the unlimited DP spend you're giving up.
  • I'm not sure Herrera's skillset is particularly well suited to the system Torrent is trying to build.