2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
The following players are under contract for the 2019 season:

Goalkeeper (3): Sean Johnson, Brad Stuver, Jeff Caldwell
Defender (7): Anton Tinnerholm, Joe Scally, Sebastien Ibeagha, Cedric Hountondji, Alex Callens, Ronald Matarrita, Ben Sweat
Midfielders (5): Alex Ring, James Sands, Maxi Moralez, Daniel Bedoya, Jesus Medina
Forwards (4): Jo Inge Berget, Valentin Castellanos, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, Jonathan Lewis

Wow, we have some work to do. Striker, winger, two center mids, left back and depth at center back? I know we need to play the kids, but if Scally, Sands, and Lewis get a lot of playing time next year while Berget is our featured striker, we are going to be on the border of making the playoffs.

I have 4 season tickets since the start of the club but I am done . I am not watching another year of Berget on this team 870K waste of salary cap. Not spending my money on garbage . no stadium news and a crap roster with Berget as our second most expensive player. enough is enough I will just watch on TV whenever they are not on delay on YES.

Reactions: Mario
but what if he headbutts someone and gets away with it a la martinez, hes still in your shitlist?
I'm honestly unsure which I hate more: a player on my team committing actual violent conduct and not getting sent off, or faking violent conduct from an opposing player in an attempt to get them sent off. The latter, slightly, I guess.

Why would we make Abdul-Salaam an offer when we couldn't be assed giving him a chance last year??
So we keep his rights and can trade him?

He's a good player. I remain surprised that we didn't see more of him this year. But, with Tinnerholm ahead of him and Scally behind he's tradable and probably for a pretty good penny.

NYCFC DEPTH CHART: End of 2018 Season & after roster moves

Striker/Wing: Villa, Berget
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Tajouri-Shradi, Castellanos, Wallace, Lewis
CM: Ring, Herrera, Ofori, Amagat, Sands, McNamara, Awuah, Bedoya
RB: Tinnerholm, ?Abdul-Salaam?, Scally
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Ibeagha, Hountondji
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Caldwell, Rawls

We are rumored to be connected with a CB that Callens plays with for Peru so that could help solve the CB issues.

I'd actually be okay seeing what Sands can do in the middle playing with Ring and Maxi. I know Dome likes to use dual number 10's in the mid, so maybe he'll push Ring up more and have Sands play the CDM role. Have Sands be the sweeper in front of the back line and have Ring and Maxi go box to box. Could also slide Medina into a number 10 role and have Ring play his normal CDM spot.

I'd like to think they are going to make a move for some sort of pure striker to play up top. ITS and Tati on the wings will be fine. ITS proved himself last year and the skill is there from Tati, he just needs more playing time to adjust. If Berger King is alone up top, then I'll be worried and concerned.
You must be crazy if you think Taty is better then Lewis. Taty is horrible and i would much prefer Lewis to start with ITS then Taty. I believe NYCFC though will start Medina over all of them.

NYCFC DEPTH CHART: End of 2018 Season & after roster moves

Striker/Wing: Villa, Berget
Wing/CAM: Moralez, Medina, Tajouri-Shradi, Castellanos, Wallace, Lewis
CM: Ring, Herrera, Ofori, Amagat, Sands, McNamara, Awuah, Bedoya
RB: Tinnerholm, ?Abdul-Salaam?, Scally
LB: Matarrita, Sweat
CB: Chanot, Callens, Ibeagha, Hountondji
GK: Johnson, Stuver, Caldwell, Rawls

The following things are notable.
  • Big hole in central midfield. I believe we need 3 top quality guys to fill the 2 spots behind our CAM. Last year, those were Ring, Herrera and Ofori. Now, 2 of those 3 are gone. That means we need 2 solid box-to-box mids - although, if Sands is ready to make the jump (and I think he may be), then we would only need one guy.
  • Who plays striker? Berget is the money man in the position, and hopefully has a sophomore jump. I think its likely the Club signed him last season knowing he might possibly be the main starter in 2019, especially given how much he is making.
  • We need more center backs. The last two seasons, we've had four. I personally think we need five. The question is whether we need high quality players or a person or two for depth. Callens is strong and Ibeagha was solid as a starter. Presumably Hountondji can be as well if he stays healthy.
  • Where does a new DP slot in? Striker seems likely, but if the Club is happy with Berget there, maybe we add a backup striker and use the DP slot on a midfielder to replace Herrera.

You must be crazy if you think Taty is better then Lewis. Taty is horrible and i would much prefer Lewis to start with ITS then Taty. I believe NYCFC though will start Medina over all of them.
Can't say someone is horrible who has barely played. Lewis is lucky to even be on the roster at this point. He has attitude problems, is lazy defensively and struggled in the USL while on loan to the best club. Would rather give Tati the spot to see what he can do when not thrown in right after a transfer and has a full preseason to gel. Lewis is a lost cause and a super sub at this point, if that.

Can't say someone is horrible who has barely played. Lewis is lucky to even be on the roster at this point. He has attitude problems, is lazy defensively and struggled in the USL while on loan to the best club. Would rather give Tati the spot to see what he can do when not thrown in right after a transfer and has a full preseason to gel. Lewis is a lost cause and a super sub at this point, if that.
And yet every time Lewis stepped on the field he made things happen offensively. I’m so over the knock on him defensively because I saw veteran players flub their assignments and we were always giving up goals, so why blame just Lewis?

I have 4 season tickets since the start of the club but I am done . I am not watching another year of Berget on this team 870K waste of salary cap. Not spending my money on garbage . no stadium news and a crap roster with Berget as our second most expensive player. enough is enough I will just watch on TV whenever they are not on delay on YES.

Can I just make the point that the offseason has just started? Can we wait to see what the team does this offseason before we give up on them? Give them time to do their offseason signings.

lol damn you went deep there, be ready for massive team lewis fans attacking you