2019 Roster Discussion

What Position Should NYCFC Target For Its Splash Signing?

• Striker

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Midfielder

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Defender

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
I don't think Mitrita is a youth prospect -- he's 23. That's the same age Miguel Almiron was at the start of his debut season for Atlanta.

1. He qualifies at a YDP. 2. I was more alluding to him being unproven in a top league as opposed to purely just age. There is risk in signing him, compared to someone who has performed in more established leagues over a period of time.

Reactions: Kjbert
1. He qualifies at a YDP. 2. I was more alluding to him being unproven in a top league as opposed to purely just age. There is risk in signing him, compared to someone who has performed in more established leagues over a period of time.
From what i read Mitrita is coming to be a winger as a DP. Dome seems to think winger is more important then striker at this point. I think Taty is our starting striker this year or maybe even Medina but I just can’t see Mitrita being a striker

Dome is his interview with NYpost said he wants to bring in a winger or striker and a guy who is flexible to play winger. He keeps bringing up the point about wingers so I just think he isn’t as stressed about a number 9 and he feels better getting wingers (which i feel we don’t need).

I just think there's risk in bigger names, too. For every Rooney that's come into this league, there's a Dos Santos or a Pirlo. In fact I'd go so far as to say there's been more misses among big-name players in MLS than hits.

I'm OK with the team making a high-risk, high-reward signing vs going safe and getting someone with a lower ceiling. Over the last few years our scouting has really improved when it comes to international signings, so I trust that they know what they're getting.

He qualifies at a YDP

Unfortunately not, the birth year cutoff for YDPs this season is 1996 and Mitriță was born in 1995.

Young Designated Player
A Designated Player who is 23 years old (or younger than the age of 23) during the League Year (the age of the player is determined by year - not date - of birth) will carry the following Young Designated Player Salary Budget Charge:

• Ages 20 and younger: $150,000
  • Ages 21-23: $200,000
  • If such Designated Player joins the club after the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window, he will carry the Mid-Season Youth Designated Player Salary Budget Charge of $150,000 regardless of age.

Unfortunately not, the birth year cutoff for YDPs this season is 1996 and Mitriță was born in 1995.

Young Designated Player
A Designated Player who is 23 years old (or younger than the age of 23) during the League Year (the age of the player is determined by year - not date - of birth) will carry the following Young Designated Player Salary Budget Charge:

• If such Designated Player joins the club after the opening of the Secondary Transfer Window, he will carry the Mid-Season Youth Designated Player Salary Budget Charge of $150,000 regardless of age.
Well that just added another $300k to the cap. And made him roughly count as much vs the cap as Maxi, Ring, Chanot, Tin, & Callens. Maybe we will have an albatross this season...

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 1.50.47 PM.png

Reactions: Kjbert and dummyrun
Remember that Reserve and Supplemental Roster guys don't count against the cap.

That's spots 21-24 on the Roster and includes HG & GA. Lewis, Sands, Haak, and Scally are all set at $0. None of this counting really matters, the cap is $8.035mm with all the TAM this year, and we're not even close.

Supplemental Roster
Players occupying roster spots 21-24 do not count against the club's salary budget, and are referred to collectively as the club's Supplemental Roster. A club may have no more than four players on its Supplemental Roster, subject to the Season-Ending Injury Replacement, Disabled List, and Loanexceptions.

• Slots 21-24 may be filled with (i) Senior Minimum Salary Budget Charge Players (US$67,500 in 2018) which may include Homegrown Players, (ii) Generation adidas Players, or (iii) any specifically Designated Players eligible for the MLS SuperDraft; or (iv) Homegrown Players earning more than the Senior Minimum Salary subject to the Homegrown Player Subsidy.
  • All Generation adidas players are Supplemental Roster players until they graduate from the program.
  • All players on the Supplemental Roster must be paid a base salary that is at least the Senior Minimum Salary (US$67,500).

I hope you’re right. I just don’t see the goal scorer on the roster. Maxi is what he is. Isi probably played the best he ever has last year. Medina is huge question mark. Berget is gone.
I mean, we still had ~40 goals scored from non-villa players right? So clearly we can make that up- also taking into account that had villa not been there, someone else would have scored some of the goals, maybe we'd even be looking at 45-50 goals non-villa? so clearly our team can score sans villa.

Young Designated Player

The way the rule is described, it's hard to know. It says someone who "is 23" during the year can be a Young DP. He is 23 during this year. He will also be 24 during this year, which suggests he would be a regular DP. Not sure on which side he falls.