2022 Roster Discussion

Not just that it would be a loan but a loan within CFG feels like a real fail to get something else done.
Not that I have any reason to blame Lee, or CFG, or Taty.

Not blaming anyone, just disappointed. That said, hopefully CFG helps our cap situation by buying him at the asking price, then loaning him to Girona -- that way we still get the "sale" and whatever allocation money we can get will still come in, even if it's just moving money around the organization.

I still don't quite get that.

Almiron went for more $ at an older age.

he is the exception. however he did win a title in argentina ( which is seen as better than MLS) and played in south american club tournaments and was part of his NT playing. Taty has none of that.

Reactions: gbservis
he is the exception. however he did win a title in argentina ( which is seen as better than MLS) and played in south american club tournaments and was part of his NT playing. Taty has none of that.
Almiron also was bought midseason by a desperate team in a relegation battle. We're selling Taty when no buyers are desperate. Then, though Newcastle did avoid relegation, Almiron largely disappointed I believe. Not that he's terrible but I don't think he has lived up to his price. That makes it harder to get that price again.

OTOH Almiron's game is assists and relies on others to a large degree. Taty scores and works harder than anyone on the field in all aspects. But the market is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Almiron also was bought midseason by a desperate team in a relegation battle. We're selling Taty when no buyers are desperate. Then, though Newcastle did avoid relegation, Almiron largely disappointed I believe. Not that he's terrible but I don't think he has lived up to his price. That makes it harder to get that price again.

OTOH Almiron's game is assists and relies on other to a large degree. Taty scores and works harder than anyone on the field in all aspects. But the market is what it is.

that is true too. other PL clubs see that Almiron's performances do not warrant the price, so they are not willing to risk another MLS signing for that high of a price.

Quite a few players not as good as him have sold to Europe for more.... it's weird.

i could be wrong but most have been US / Canadian players. not internationals like taty ( with Almiron as the exception).

Euro also doesn't buy as much as it used to, too.
I was going to mention this……with the $USD stronger makes him more expensive
This time last year (for summer window comparison purposes) about e12.7m equaled $15m, now they are roughly at par. Certainly not insignificant.
It's not even worth doing the Argentine Peso conversion.

I hope he does well there but this is definitely underwhelming and again I hope we have something lined up. I prefer Heber as a great second option as opposed to a decent first choice.

Reactions: ALBNYfan and Higgs1
This is super sad. Taty is the definition of a star in MLS born through hard work and appreciation.

He is an example of a player that doesn't need to be a european star moving to MLS in order to have a following. Taty built his own following and legacy here, and you can really see it in the fanbase, as well as the way other teams and pundits talk about him.

Definitely one of the best players to walk through the NYCFC doors