2023 General MLS Transfer Thread

Miami currently has 4 DPs according to the official MLS roster page: Martinex, Pizarro, and Gregore, plus Campana as a Young DP. None of them are listed as being on loan.

That's already one more than is allowed. The 2023 MLS Roster Rules specify that each team gets 2 DPs, you can buy one more, and Young DPs have a lower budget charge but still count as one of the DP slots. Plus you cannot trade DP slots.
I don't know how Miami is having 4 DPs as it is, and then they're going to add Messi?

Miami currently has 4 DPs according to the official MLS roster page: Martinex, Pizarro, and Gregore, plus Campana as a Young DP. None of them are listed as being on loan.

That's already one more than is allowed. The 2023 MLS Roster Rules specify that each team gets 2 DPs, you can buy one more, and Young DPs have a lower budget charge but still count as one of the DP slots. Plus you cannot trade DP slots.
I don't know how Miami is having 4 DPs as it is, and then they're going to add Messi?
They're going to have to trade/sell one/two of them...

Their roster page is wrong. There's another article on their own damn site that notes he isn't taking up a DP spot.

Their roster page is wrong. There's another article on their own damn site that notes he isn't taking up a DP spot.

I don't understand how it's so hard for these clubs and the league to provide correct information.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Read here that the secondary market for tickets against Miami has sky rocketed. I just checked to see how much a ticket would be for the Miami at Red Bull game in August just for the chance at seeing Messi. The cheapest tickets were $350 a piece on the Gametime app, $408 a piece on ticket master, and $347 a piece on seat geek. I’m not paying that much for a Red Bull ticket, Messi or no Messi.

Reactions: moogoo
Read here that the secondary market for tickets against Miami has sky rocketed. I just checked to see how much a ticket would be for the Miami at Red Bull game in August just for the chance at seeing Messi. The cheapest tickets were $350 a piece on the Gametime app, $408 a piece on ticket master, and $347 a piece on seat geek. I’m not paying that much for a Red Bull ticket, Messi or no Messi.

I'm not being flip when I say this: I've seen him play live and it's no big deal. I attended the 2016 Copa America Final at MetLife between Argentina and Chile. It ended a 0-0 draw after 120 minutes and Messi missed his kick in the shootout.

Sure, there's always a chance you'll see him do something amazing. Or you might see a pretty pedestrian scoreless draw where he can't even hit from the spot.

I don't understand how it's so hard for these clubs and the league to provide correct information.

I'd almost rather they not provide it if they can't get it right.

On that ote, if you go to the MLS Team Roster Page and click on the link for NYCFC's roster you get, at this moment, a 404 message.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I'm not being flip when I say this: I've seen him play live and it's no big deal. I attended the 2016 Copa America Final at MetLife between Argentina and Chile. It ended a 0-0 draw after 120 minutes and Messi missed his kick in the shootout.

Sure, there's always a chance you'll see him do something amazing. Or you might see a pretty pedestrian scoreless draw where he can't even hit from the spot.
Sometimes Villa was up on an island and didn’t get service. Other times he scored a hat trick, got an amazing through ball from Pirlo and put it in the back of the net, or score from further than the half way line. Every one of the icon players can lay a goose egg in a game. And sometimes you see magic. Have to go to the games for the chance to see it

Reactions: snugglefarts
Sometimes Villa was up on an island and didn’t get service. Other times he scored a hat trick, got an amazing through ball from Pirlo and put it in the back of the net, or score from further than the half way line. Every one of the icon players can lay a goose egg in a game. And sometimes you see magic. Have to go to the games for the chance to see it
By all means go, but I wouldn't pay secondary market prices because there's a chance you'll get nothing out of it other than the ability to say "I saw him live." Which I guess for some is worth it, but myself, I wouldn't pay $400 for an MLS regular season game even with a guaranteed hat trick.

By all means go, but I wouldn't pay secondary market prices because there's a chance you'll get nothing out of it other than the ability to say "I saw him live." Which I guess for some is worth it, but myself, I wouldn't pay $400 for an MLS regular season game even with a guaranteed hat trick.
And i agree with that, $400 is too much per ticket for an MLS game. Hell, I’m not in the tax bracket that even a $400 UEFA champions league final with a hat trick ticket is worth it. My first message said I wouldn’t pay those prices. I’m just saying it’s not always going to be a crappy 0-0 game.

Reactions: mgarbowski

i feel bad for the people who are paying those prices and come game day, messi doesn't play cause he has a knock lol.

Inter Miami will finally have fans.

I wouldn't be so sure, this is the city where the arena was half empty for most of lebron's regular season games and 25% of fans left a playoff game early and missed one of the biggest comebacks of all time.

i feel bad for the people who are paying those prices and come game day, messi doesn't play cause he has a knock lol.
The Union host Miami on June 24. There are some tickets on StubHub for <$100 but nothing below $75 and most well above $100, while plenty of tickets for the NYCFC game in mid-July can be had for $40-$60. Tickets for the Miami game are selling so fast that some are still listed with a note they just sold a few minutes ago.
June 24 is before Messi's PSG contract ends and before the MLS window opens. He cannot possibly play in that game. Even if MLS wanted to bend the rules FIFA would forbid it. Enjoy those tickets watching not-Messi - whoever bought them!

Along with a lot of speculation it says Miami will buy down Gregore to free one DP slot which is room for Messi. If they want more, most likely moves are to buyout Pizarro whose contact ends this year, and/or also buy down Campana, but the Campana option would require a lot of _AM and cap space. It's not clear they have either, especially with the salary cap punishments they are under.

So question. If you are a STH and could sell your tickets to the Messi game, what percent of your total season ticket costs would it take for you to sell?

At fully even pricing for all 17 matches, 1 game equals 6% of the season. Would you sell for 12%? 24%? 50%? What is your break point?

The economist view is that if you wouldn’t buy a $400 ticket, you should sell at $400. But humans tend to value what they already have more than what they might acquire.

So what is your number?

So question. If you are a STH and could sell your tickets to the Messi game, what percent of your total season ticket costs would it take for you to sell?

At fully even pricing for all 17 matches, 1 game equals 6% of the season. Would you sell for 12%? 24%? 50%? What is your break point?

The economist view is that if you wouldn’t buy a $400 ticket, you should sell at $400. But humans tend to value what they already have more than what they might acquire.

So what is your number?
My seat costs 800. 1/18 of that is $44 per ticket. I'd sell if I could clear $125, which comes to 15.6% of the total or 2.8 games. But I decided on the $125 without consciously calculating any percentages or ratios.

This assumes the game is not decision day or the last few games of the season when we're vying for a playoff spot, or for home playoff games (next year maybe). I'd want more to give those up, but that has nothing to do with Messi.

Last edited: