2023 General MLS Transfer Thread

The Athletic is reporting that the Messi deal to get equity in an MLS team is an option to buy part of Inter Miami. Also the Apple piece will be a pct of new international subscribers. No mention of Adidas. The deal still being worked on with lots of moving parts.
Article also confirms Miami and MLS were surprised at Messi's announcement, though it wasn't like they weren't in talks.
Separate article says Miami is working to get Bousqets to come using allocation money, max $1.65M. He made $26.3M/year on his last contract.

messi and bousqets would be kinda crazy. two people who don't track back. if you already have messi, you don't need bousqets, imo.

messi and bousqets would be kinda crazy. two people who don't track back. if you already have messi, you don't need bousqets, imo.
Article says they think other teams will scream if Bousqets signs for that little. It didn't specify why, but I think the idea would be that even if it's honest, that's too much of an advantage if a $20M player will sign to play with Messi in Miami. But again it wasn't specific.

Article says they think other teams will scream if Bousqets signs for that little. It didn't specify why, but I think the idea would be that even if it's honest, that's too much of an advantage if a $20M player will sign to play with Messi in Miami. But again it wasn't specific.
Yeah, they wouldn't be paying a fair market value for the player. It would be legally cooking the books.

Reactions: moogoo
Not to make a big deal about it, but what exactly is fair market value for a 35 year old guy at the end of his career?

I'm sure the guy is financially secure and his coming to MLS for beer money could be nothing more than a guy looking to wind things up by playing with Messi and living in South Beach for a year or two.

Caveat Emptor, Miami.

Meh. Good on them. Players make choices. If it were our player we'd laugh at the haters.
Agreed. If he comes for the max allocation amount and that's really it - no side deals or anything, then so be it. It's why I thought it was notable that the Athletic seemed to suggest teams would object even if it is done within the rules. I am sympathetic, however, to anyone who strongly suspects that Miami would be cheating, given the history.

Reactions: Gene
Give it time.
My daughter is dating a Clevelander. Has now visited him out there 3-4 times. She recently began pointing out that the traffic and culture of the NY area doesn’t exactly equate to the best quality of life and that maybe she will settle somewhere inland after college. who know? Maybe Columbus.

My daughter is dating a Clevelander. Has now visited him out there 3-4 times. She recently began pointing out that the traffic and culture of the NY area doesn’t exactly equate to the best quality of life and that maybe she will settle somewhere inland after college. who know? Maybe Columbus.

Wait till they have a fight. Then Cleveland will be shit. And NY rules all. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: twsj91
Yeah, but all of the Ohioans...

Yes, and as I almost pointed out, Columbus, Ohio is almost dead north from where I grew up in Florida.
I remember one vacation in Orlando I was taken by how much later the sun rose and set compared to NY, and while being closer to the equator is part of it, it was mostly that Orlando is basically due south of Cleveland which kind of blew my mind.
Also Columbus is east of Atlanta, where Gressel spent some years and is part of the basis for "back to the east coast" and Atlanta is fairly inland but Georgia is on the coast so nobody ever sweats calling Atlanta East Coast.

That said, Ohio and Columbus are both pretty far from the coast, but the East coast = time zone thing is just how it is.

looks like suarez might be joining miami too...

guess inter and MLS are like.. *shrug* let's just get eyes on the league....

looks like suarez might be joining miami too...

guess inter and MLS are like.. *shrug* let's just get eyes on the league....
It’s not like we’re competitive so I don’t care?

I also read that Suarez has said he’s willing to do anything including paying back salary to his current team. If so, he might take whatever Miami can offer.

It’s not like we’re competitive so I don’t care?

I also read that Suarez has said he’s willing to do anything including paying back salary to his current team. If so, he might take whatever Miami can offer.

depends what you mean by competitive.... sure we haven't won, but we haven't been blown out and many games have been ties.

and even if we aren't top of the league, i would prefer MLS didn't toss out their rules just to make a messi reunion team in miami. if they can sign him within the rules, then more power to them.