2023 General MLS Transfer Thread

Miami currently has 4 DPs according to the official MLS roster page: Martinex, Pizarro, and Gregore, plus Campana as a Young DP. None of them are listed as being on loan.

That's already one more than is allowed. The 2023 MLS Roster Rules specify that each team gets 2 DPs, you can buy one more, and Young DPs have a lower budget charge but still count as one of the DP slots. Plus you cannot trade DP slots.
I don't know how Miami is having 4 DPs as it is, and then they're going to add Messi?
I’m not sure how reliable this person is but:

Reactions: canchon

Attachments

• IMG_4600.jpeg
    IMG_4600.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 29
  • Haha
Reactions: JCMore
It's hilarious if he actually announced it publicly before talking to Miami and MLS, and worked on deals separately with Apple and Adidas without MLS involved.
The separate discussions do make sense though. The league likely isn't paying him the Apple/Adidas money and it wouldn't be the first time a player chose one club over others because of sponsor interest.

The separate discussions do make sense though. The league likely isn't paying him the Apple/Adidas money and it wouldn't be the first time a player chose one club over others because of sponsor interest.
Absolutely. But the tweet maybe makes it sound like Messi started talking with Apple and Adidas without even telling MLS. I don't even know if that's the case; it's worded a bit unclearly. But I find the idea amusing so I'm going with it.

The Athletic is reporting that the Messi deal to get equity in an MLS team is an option to buy part of Inter Miami. Also the Apple piece will be a pct of new international subscribers. No mention of Adidas. The deal still being worked on with lots of moving parts.
Article also confirms Miami and MLS were surprised at Messi's announcement, though it wasn't like they weren't in talks.
Separate article says Miami is working to get Bousqets to come using allocation money, max $1.65M. He made $26.3M/year on his last contract.