Away - 02/22 Colorado Postmatch

Villa is out for this match after the red, correct? If so, time for Okoli to step up and show us more of what he did in Emelec and not what he did v. RB. I'd like to see how he performs with 10 starters behind him, although things could be a little shaky in midfield if we start Ring/Herrera/Camargo/etc. as they work out the kinks. The back line is the biggest concern for me. No more messing around with Sweat and White please - our starters need game minutes together if we want to stay off the bottom of the GA tally right out of the gate. I'm all for starting Herrera at CDM to see what got CFG's attention, and I'd like to see a back 4 of Mata/Brillant/Callens/Chanot. I don't care if Chanot never crosses the mid line, just stop f@cking conceding please.

I want to see Wallace at LW and Ring next to Pirlo in one half, and Herrera next to Pirlo in the other half.

Also want to see my preferred backline of Matarrita, Callens, Brillant, and Chanot at RB, sliding into a 3-man backline when Ring is in. Then put on Gomez when Herrera comes in and play two attacking fullbacks with a true 6 out there.

EDIT: I could also see Pirlo sit a game or a half so they can see how some combination of Ring/Herrera/Sands works out.

Last edited:
I'm expecting to see Ring, Herrera, Moralez, and Callens in the starting XI. Gotta get them in the mix pretty quickly and I'm OK with sitting Pirlo to do it, we should be taking it easy with him anyway.

Reactions: sbrylski
Anyone besides me think we could've maybe used an extra month of preseason? I mean, season opener is in just over two weeks and some of our players haven't even ever played with the team yet.

Villa is out for this match after the red, correct? If so, time for Okoli to step up and show us more of what he did in Emelec and not what he did v. RB. I'd like to see how he performs with 10 starters behind him, although things could be a little shaky in midfield if we start Ring/Herrera/Camargo/etc. as they work out the kinks. The back line is the biggest concern for me. No more messing around with Sweat and White please - our starters need game minutes together if we want to stay off the bottom of the GA tally right out of the gate. I'm all for starting Herrera at CDM to see what got CFG's attention, and I'd like to see a back 4 of Mata/Brillant/Callens/Chanot. I don't care if Chanot never crosses the mid line, just stop f@cking conceding please.

Villa will be suspended for this match due to his red card.

Reactions: Kjbert
Anyone besides me think we could've maybe used an extra month of preseason? I mean, season opener is in just over two weeks and some of our players haven't even ever played with the team yet.
The visa process kills us in this regard. Add in the fact that we did most of our shopping late means that Maxi and Ring who should be starters are way behind everyone else in building chemistry and getting acquainted with the way we play.

The team needs another month but while I don't know about the rest of you, I cannot handle another month of BS preseason games with the anticipation of watching a "competitive" game only to see a blah lineup.

Are we sure Villa is suspended? Do the usual red card suspension rules apply to friendlies and preseason games?

Does it even matter? The odds of him playing on Wednesday were pretty low anyway. Odds are they were never going to play him twice in five days anyway.

Looked at past tournaments and one thing I found was a NE player getting a red card in 2015 and not making an appearance in the following game.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Does it even matter? The odds of him playing on Wednesday were pretty low anyway. Odds are they were never going to play him twice in five days anyway.
Eh... He got virtually no playing time. If he could play tomorrow he would be. I don't see pirlo out there as he nearly went the whole game but I think that was the plan for villa too.

Reactions: Ulrich and gbservis
Eh... He got virtually no playing time. If he could play tomorrow he would be. I don't see pirlo out there as he nearly went the whole game but I think that was the plan for villa too.

My guess is the newcomers get probably 45 minutes on Wednesday and the full game Saturday, but that we won't see any of the other main starters on Wednesday. Doesn't seem to make sense to play anyone 3 games in 7 days during preseason.

I think we'll see Maxi (maybe), Camargo, Callens, Herrera, Wallace, Ring on Wednesday. Though if they want Ring to be the starting CDM, maybe he and Herrera split the game at that spot.

My guess is the newcomers get probably 45 minutes on Wednesday and the full game Saturday, but that we won't see any of the other main starters on Wednesday. Doesn't seem to make sense to play anyone 3 games in 7 days during preseason.

I think we'll see Maxi (maybe), Camargo, Callens, Herrera, Wallace, Ring on Wednesday. Though if they want Ring to be the starting CDM, maybe he and Herrera split the game at that spot.

This is purely speculation but based on what we have seen so far my guess is Pirlo is being given complete control over how much he plays in these games. There was no reason for him to stay in that game other than him wanting the reps. Once Maxi and some of the others subbed out it wasn't like he was building an understanding with a considerable number of starters. My bet is PV is basically saying tell me how much time you want to get yourself ready. Prilo has stated in the past that it's normal for him to play every 3-4 days so do think it's possible we see him for a decent chunk of time on Wednesday.