Away - 02/22 Colorado Postmatch

This is purely speculation but based on what we have seen so far my guess is Pirlo is being given complete control over how much he plays in these games. There was no reason for him to stay in that game other than him wanting the reps. Once Maxi and some of the others subbed out it wasn't like he was building an understanding with a considerable number of starters. My bet is PV is basically saying tell me how much time you want to get yourself ready. Prilo has stated in the past that it's normal for him to play every 3-4 days so do think it's possible we see him for a decent chunk of time on Wednesday.

Think that's how it works with a lot of veterans in all sports. They know how much time they need to be ready for the season, so it's up to them. Yankees used to do that with Rivera, Rangers do it with Lundqvist, etc.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis

Villa's VAR send-off

New York City FC is out in Tuscon, Arizona for the 2017 Desert Diamond Cup, one of the places MLS is testing out video assistant referees (VAR) in-game during the preseason, and reigning MLS MVP David Villa ended up on the receiving end of one of the first ejections issued by formal review.

After scoring a goal earlier in the match, Villa was battling with Houston Dynamo center back A.J. DeLaGarza when he struck the defender in the face. The act initially earned a yellow card before the formal review led to a red card for violent conduct against an opponent. Villa will serve a one-game suspension in NYCFC’s next match, against the Colorado Rapids on February 22, and be available for the match on February 25.

If all goes as it should, the VAR test this preseason is set to extend, with live, in-game implementation during the second half of the 2017 regular-season slate. When even the reigning MVP isn't spared during a preseason game, it's safe to say that technology plays no favorites.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/20/view-couch-5-most-important-things-you-missed-weekend

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Villa's VAR send-off

New York City FC is out in Tuscon, Arizona for the 2017 Desert Diamond Cup, one of the places MLS is testing out video assistant referees (VAR) in-game during the preseason, and reigning MLS MVP David Villa ended up on the receiving end of one of the first ejections issued by formal review.

After scoring a goal earlier in the match, Villa was battling with Houston Dynamo center back A.J. DeLaGarza when he struck the defender in the face. The act initially earned a yellow card before the formal review led to a red card for violent conduct against an opponent. Villa will serve a one-game suspension in NYCFC’s next match, against the Colorado Rapids on February 22, and be available for the match on February 25.

If all goes as it should, the VAR test this preseason is set to extend, with live, in-game implementation during the second half of the 2017 regular-season slate. When even the reigning MVP isn't spared during a preseason game, it's safe to say that technology plays no favorites.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/02/20/view-couch-5-most-important-things-you-missed-weekend

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wait, so this fcking VAR is only going to be used in the second half of the season?!? Meaning games will be called differently the first 17 versus the second 17, because we all know there are now going to be a ton more red cards second half if the ref has to stop and review. That's crap to change the implementation halfway through - either entire season or not at all.

Wait, so this fcking VAR is only going to be used in the second half of the season?!? Meaning games will be called differently the first 17 versus the second 17, because we all know there are now going to be a ton more red cards second half if the ref has to stop and review. That's crap to change the implementation halfway through - either entire season or not at all.

Maybe they mean they'll only use it in the 2nd half of each match all season long

Maybe they mean they'll only use it in the 2nd half of each match all season long
giphy.gif

Basically. There's a link to the original article on the first post of the VAR thread.

VAR testing is currently underway in MLS this preseason, where it will be used in approximately 30 games with the goal of implementing live, in-game testing during MLS regular season matches in the second half of the 2017 season. In addition to the in-game tests during preseason, offline testing, with no impact on the game, will take place at MLS stadiums during MLS matches during the first half of the regular season.

I have the feeling the preseason testing has been moderated differently in different games, sort of as a stress test. I think the Portland-RSL Diego Chara call (which took 8 minutes to make) was handled that way on purpose. There was no input from a dedicated video ref, so the official had to go over and review himself, etc. I think for our game, a dedicated video ref was in place to take a look and tell the official "hey come take a look at this."

Basically they seem to be trying to see what works and what doesn't now in preseason where they can get away with it. Once we're in the regular season they will take the first half to "practice" more behind the scenes and collect data, with the hope of actually making some calls in the second half of the season. Hopefully it will be much more streamlined by then.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Doesn't sound like we'll be seeing Ring or Herrera (and perhaps Wallace) tomorrow per the Vieira video they just posted.
Doesn't make much sense to me. They have 3 full days of training in. Maxi started with only 2. Herrera is coming off a tournament. He's in form. Not sure about ring. Maybe not start them but they should play. Unless this is another backup thing.

Unless this is another backup thing.

At this rate, our backups / cup squad will have more cohesion than our starters. Add to that the fact that we'll start the season away at a full capacity brand new stadium, and I'm a bit worried about us getting off on the right foot. Then we bring that back for 3 straight home games (not to mention playing DC twice in the first 4). I hope and I think that we will see a solid mix of starters over the next two games. If he rolls out the RB lineup again I might just turn it off.

At this rate, our backups / cup squad will have more cohesion than our starters. Add to that the fact that we'll start the season away at a full capacity brand new stadium, and I'm a bit worried about us getting off on the right foot. Then we bring that back for 3 straight home games (not to mention playing DC twice in the first 4). I hope and I think that we will see a solid mix of starters over the next two games. If he rolls out the RB lineup again I might just turn it off.
Need to see starters for the first half of each game. Or if you want to challenge the backups/trialists then play them against the other teams starters. We've been last to drop a lineup so you know if Colorado is fielding starters. Play the backups against them and put our guys in against their subs in second half.
Still haven't seen our true XI yet I don't think. Would imagine he'll want his opening week xi out there at one point.

Reactions: JCMore
Well, I got here after a 2 hour drive with the family and there were two different teams warming up.

When I checked the team website last week, it was an 11am MT kickoff. When the fuck did that change?
Well if you need things to do in Tuscon I hear Biosphere 2 is nice.

Reactions: adam
I had this on my calendar for a 1:30 PM EST kickoff.

All the games archived? I won't be able to watch tonight at 7.

I had this on my calendar for a 1:30 PM EST kickoff.

All the games archived? I won't be able to watch tonight at 7.
Hasn't it always been a 7pm est/5pm mtn kickoff?

Reactions: Kjbert
I looked it up in 2 places last week - on the team website and on the app. There was some discrepancy between 1pm and 11am, and I was able to figure out it was a MT vs. ET discrepancy.

When I noticed NE and SKC warming up, I pulled up the app and watched the time change in front of my eyes.