Away - 02/25 SKC

I turned the game off around 75 minutes. Missed this tackle. I'll have to check it out.

Wallace may not be a star, but I feel comfortable with him out there. I can see how he can impose himself physically wide left. Then Lewis comes on for 20-25 minutes. I like it.

Maxi can play. I still want more spending. But I'm happy with Maxi.

I liked Ring. I think he has a good touch and is physical. I think he looks good from a link up perspective. I thought Herrera was invisible. Question is - who pairs better with Pirlo? Herrera may be the more appropriate partner but I get the Ring acquisition.

Callens was faster than their striker. He had some bad defensive moments but he's an athlete.

Overall, biggest takeaway? Our team is noticeably more athletic than last year. I love it.

I don't see where McNamara or Shelton fit right now. And we need a new RB.

Great post by Viewfrom226 Viewfrom226

Pirlo doesn't fit this team. We may be a worse team on a real pitch with Pirlo. Let's see. I don't think we missed his distribution today.

Could Callen play LB?

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and adam
We are a much better team this year. Jack seems to have brought his game up a notch to a new level. Mata and Wallace will combine down the left in a way we haven't seen before. I liked Callens in back. For the first time ever we seem like a threat to score on corners.

SKC is a good team. Even though Zusi just moved back, its a back line that has been together for years. I always liked Opera when he is healthy. This very solid back line was tormented. I think our movement off the ball and passing from Maxi and Pirlo is going to shred less experienced and skilled back lines. Pirlo is going to have more time and space to work from this year.

Its my team, but I think we have the most attractive style of play in MLS. Once the new players integrate as a team in a few weeks and everybody gets more used to playing with each other it should be a very strong season battling with Toronto for top of the East.

Last edited:
I was pretty outspoken against Maxi, and although I am still let down by him as a DP, I did get some hope from his display today. Just some things I noticed:

• Great tenacity. Its nice to have another midfielder/forward actually want to press and get into tackles. I think that is going to help us especially considering many MLS CB's have poor distribution.
  • He has a good engine. He might be in better shape because he was already playing this season where as everyone else is just getting back into the swing of things (Maybe?), but he seemed to be able to run a lot which is relatively rare for a player of his kind.
  • What I think is the biggest plus is his ability to link our defense to our attack. Its impressive how he drops deep into space to pick up the ball (especially against a decent midfield today) and quickly turns and connects it with the rest of our attack. Thats something we missed last year big time. I'm not sure how it'll work against teams that press a lot in the midfield, but it might help take some pressure away Pirlo if they're being forced to press Maxi now too.
  • I like how he seems to be equally as good out-wide and down the middle. That might be a headache for PV, but is definitely better in the long run.
  • His size might be an issue. I didn't think SKC was too physical today in the midfield and there were a few times when he was bullied off the ball. It wouldn't be a big deal, if we had actual size in our midfield. At least he gets up and keeps going at it. Not his fault he's small.

Overall, I was happy with his performance, but still bummed he's a DP. I think there is clearly a gulf in class, based on watching today only, between him and Villa and I wish our DP could have been more on Villa's level.

Rest of the team impressed me as well. Hope they can gel a little more before the season starts but I'm really happy with where we are at.

Found the tackle on Sands. No reason for that especially during preseason
Loved how everyone came over and stood up for him. Can tell the players have respect for what Sands has showcased this preseason.
Really hope it pays off for him and he's offered a contract. Honestly I think he's already been offered it. I think his parents want him back home and to sit down and discuss it. That's a huge decision and step to make for a young kid.

Sabo Sabo nails it. We play attractive football. Sometimes our players suck but we're more talented now than in the past

Reactions: JGarrettLieb
I don't want to use the term "better". But are we faster/better defensive/more dangerous team with Pirlo not in the lineup? Is that heresy? Maybe it's better not to think about because he has to start for us, right?

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Kjbert
You know what I'm most excited about? Based on today's lineup, we're one player away from being able to complain that we played like absolute shit, not that our players are absolute shit.

Don't underestimate how huge that is. Since day one until now, we've played in most games a majority of players who would not sniff a starting 11 elsewhere.

I don't want to use the term "better". But are we faster/better defensive/more dangerous team with Pirlo not in the lineup? Is that heresy? Maybe it's better not to think about because he has to start for us, right?
Starts at home for me. Otherwise, a late sub if needed. Or just rest.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
  • A few weeks ago I started a thread on who this year's "villain" will be. Step forward RJ. The interesting thing is that some guys fall out of favor because the players around them get better (i.e., McNamara) and so they look worse. I think RJ, in contrast, has really regressed since the end of 2015 and early 2016.
It's really not fair to call him the villain. He's not regressing. He's just reverted to the mean, and no one is making the LB excuse for him.

He's been pretty damn poor since day 1, with momentary exceptions and a regular joe persona shielding him. Glad to see we're maturing as a fanbase to the point that those traits alone don't garner plaudits.

We're shopping in the mens' section now, fellas. Time to ditch the Fisher Price My First Fullback. Otherwise, you'll never get the hot girl that is MLS Cup.

Because seriously, if we're just going to be tacky second-rate poseurs, we may as well support Red Bull Jersey.

I turned the game off around 75 minutes. Missed this tackle. I'll have to check it out.

Wallace may not be a star, but I feel comfortable with him out there. I can see how he can impose himself physically wide left. Then Lewis comes on for 20-25 minutes. I like it.

Maxi can play. I still want more spending. But I'm happy with Maxi.

I liked Ring. I think he has a good touch and is physical. I think he looks good from a link up perspective. I thought Herrera was invisible. Question is - who pairs better with Pirlo? Herrera may be the more appropriate partner but I get the Ring acquisition.

Callens was faster than their striker. He had some bad defensive moments but he's an athlete.

Overall, biggest takeaway? Our team is noticeably more athletic than last year. I love it.

I don't see where McNamara or Shelton fit right now. And we need a new RB.
Callens is fucking swift, man.

I saw a lot from Herrera, honestly. He was like our own little mini (younger,I should say)-Kante out there, busting up their ability to counter before it could start. Did you not notice how even when we did give the ball away in bad places, it rarely led to anything threatening? Watch it again. Herrera was putting in some smart work, with a couple of exceptions.

I'll be honest, I may be more impressed with him than Maxi. If he does what I think he will, it will be a sad day for us when his loan ends. If today is an indication, I'd have him on my next US squad if he were American. That kid is physical, smart and technically skilled. He's not roster filler. Not even close. He may be the best DM in the league by the end of the year. He's that fucking talented.

It's really not fair to call him the villain. He's not regressing. He's just reverted to the mean, and no one is making the LB excuse for him.

He's been pretty damn poor since day 1, with momentary exceptions and a regular joe persona shielding him. Glad to see we're maturing as a fanbase to the point that those traits alone don't garner plaudits.

We're shopping in the mens' section now, fellas. Time to ditch the Fisher Price My First Fullback. Otherwise, you'll never get the hot girl that is MLS Cup.

Because seriously, if we're just going to be tacky second-rate poseurs, we may as well support Red Bull Jersey.
Knew you would come after me on that one. I think it is a bit harsh on his past performances after he got settled, though I also thought the RJ for USMNT or even MLS all star talk was silly. Either way, we are agreed that that spot looks light years behind every other position, both in terms of the first 11 and depth.

This might be the perfect group for PV to throw out the old 3-4-3

We sort of play that if you go:
Mata-callens-brilliant-chanot
On the back and then let mata roam up to a more offensive position while the other 3 slide over.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Kjbert
Knew you would come after me on that one. I think it is a bit harsh on his past performances after he got settled, though I also thought the RJ for USMNT or even MLS all star talk was silly. Either way, we are agreed that that spot looks light years behind every other position, both in terms of the first 11 and depth.

I am glad that I'm at least consistent enough to be somewhat predictable. It's not necessarily something I intended nor even aspired to. So sort of RJ like in that regard.

Nor is it something that disappoints me. So definitely not RJ like in that regard.