By The Numbers: What We've Done, What Must We Do

Montreal plays two more times before our next match: Wednesday at NJ and then Saturday at Colorado. If we are still alive by the time we play at Orlando it'll be nothing short of a miracle.

Edit: That may be an exaggeration but it's still not looking good for us obviously.

Montreal plays two more times before our next match: Wednesday at NJ and then Saturday at Colorado. If we are still alive by the time we play at Orlando it'll be nothing short of a miracle.

Edit: That may be an exaggeration but it's still not looking good for us obviously.
Well, based on just a quick look at the table, RB needs to win another one at least to lock up the top seed (not to mention Shield aspirations), so they should at least be motivated.

Colorado...draws happen there a lot. That would leave us somewhat alive. I think.

I mean, I haven't expected us to make the playoffs since we want damn near 3 months without a decent result, but it's sort of fun to do the mental gymnastics.

58314324.jpg

So basically a thin thread we hold but what are the chances Montreal will lose the next 3? And Orlando 2? Thats not even counting the two we have to win. I like to count my self an optimist but....

So basically a thin thread we hold but what are the chances Montreal will lose the next 3? And Orlando 2? Thats not even counting the two we have to win. I like to count my self an optimist but....
To be that jackass, when counting Orlando to lose 2, you are already counting one of our wins. So then you would only need to count for one additional win for us.

I am an optimist, but the best we can realistically hope for is to be able to watch the Orlando game with some hope left that we can possibly make the playoffs. With Colorado already out of contention, our season is over unless the Rapids get points against Montreal .

Reactions: Paul and SoupInNYC
I am an optimist, but the best we can realistically hope for is to be able to watch the Orlando game with some hope left that we can possibly make the playoffs. With Colorado already out of contention, our season is over unless the Rapids get points against Montreal .
Consider me in the optimist book as well. As other posters have mentioned here, the biggest hope I have is to at least have a chance going into our final game against the Revs.

Of course, in order for that to happen, we would need to beat Orlando, and have Montreal lose at Colorado, and at the Revs.

When I said we got the results we needed last weekend, one of them was Chicago over New England.

New England needs/wants to win now. They play Montreal next.

So, they'll probably be pretty motivated to beat Montreal, I would think.

Montreal plays Toronto in the final game of the season, I think Toronto would like to push them out if they could.

When I said we got the results we needed last weekend, one of them was Chicago over New England.

New England needs/wants to win now. They play Montreal next.

So, they'll probably be pretty motivated to beat Montreal, I would think.

Montreal plays Toronto in the final game of the season, I think Toronto would like to push them out if they could.
Biggest issue is Montreal plays Colorado on Saturday so we need them to play well and win at home vs Montreal.

It is kind of amazing how we've been on death's door for about a month, and in that time our situation hasn't improved (if anything it's gotten worse) but despite everything our chances just ...... won't........ die. The Colorado game is tough to get hopeful for, though.

I still have hope. Montreal sucks on the road (2-9-4) and they are playing at altitude on short rest.

Drogba was a non factor last night. Outside of kicking away a the ball right before Klestjan was about to take a PK. With yellow card players out and short rest, hopefully he looks pedestrian again and Chicago holds. It's fun to have some tiny hope left. I've already decided I'm just excited for next year. Everything else is a bonus.

I still have hope. Montreal sucks on the road (2-9-4) and they are playing at altitude on short rest.

Yeah, not too crazy to think that they could lose to Colorado (yes, it's Colorado, but not impossible). After Colorado Montreal is finally all caught up with games in hand. Crazy to think that they could be just a point above Orlando with 2 games to go. If only NYCFC hadn't blown it in the last 10 minutes vs DC...could have set up a crazy last 2 games.

I started thinking about the most horrible way for the team to get eliminated, that would cause the most anger, most rancor, and most forum activity, because that's what I do sometimes. Here's what I came up with. We get every result we need up to October 25, and that night Montreal and Orlando both lose.
But so do we with all of the following happening:
  • Lampard doesn't play because either personal issues, traffic, or injury keep him away
  • Villa has a goal called back for offsides
  • Pirlo takes 2 free kicks from ideal spots and sends both over the crossbar
  • Kreis sits on the bench showing no emotion
  • Wingert comes in as a sub for Mena when we are losing (or vice versa)
  • Grabavoy plays 90, has the most touches and most completed passes, but has no discernible effect on the game
  • Angelino plays 45 minutes, creates 5 great scoring chances with gorgeous crosses but none of them connect and the team is -2 GD while he's on the field
  • Kreis tells Mix to play a new hybrid Center Back, right-wing position; Mix leads the team in clearances while also controlling right/midfield
  • Poku plays 6 minutes
  • In post-game interview Kreis singles out Poku and Mix as disappointments

Did I miss anything?