Eastern confrence final

Not even remotely true this year. This game is great but 4 of the other 5 2-game sets had completely unwatchable second games with zero suspense.
I'll try to remember that most of the second leg games this year were duds when most European leagues are already decided by March... :(

I think it's pronounced Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiit
This is what I was going for
OIP-M087c287958831f1a2129d5c13a7a947co2.jpg

Even if we get blown out, we get the GAM. It's all about the GAM baby ;)
Does anyone know exactly how much money that is? In any event, I bet it's not enough to build quality squad depth. I presume the MO would be to focus that money on 1st team starter quality and just roll out a typically shit cup squad.

As I've said before, watching our cup/exhibition squads play gives me no joy. So really, I'm good either way.

ETA:
i do want the team to be in international competition. why not, rather be the first MLS team to do it under current format. since to me CCL> MLS trophy when opportunity is there.
See above for why not. I think we should focus on bringing our first 11 up to actual MLS Cup contender quality first. We don't have MLS starter quality at every position right now, so I'd like to meet that hurdle.

Look, I'll be happy if we get a spot in it. But when I have the opportunity for perspective afforded by the unknown in this instance, it's not at all a bad thing for us to miss out on CCL this go 'round.

Does anyone know exactly how much money that is? In any event, I bet it's not enough to build quality squad depth. I presume the MO would be to focus that money on 1st team starter quality and just roll out a typically shit cup squad.

As I've said before, watching our cup/exhibition squads play gives me no joy. So really, I'm good either way.

ETA:

See above for why not. I think we should focus on bringing our first 11 up to actual MLS Cup contender quality first. We don't have MLS starter quality at every position right now, so I'd like to meet that hurdle.

Look, I'll be happy if we get a spot in it. But when I have the opportunity for perspective afforded by the unknown in this instance, it's not at all a bad thing for us to miss out on CCL this go 'round.

You made a great point. Send a USL squad or our 14 year olds to play in CCL. But use the GAM to purchase that CDM we all know we need. I don't think the rule is the GAM needs to be spread across the roster. Just on that basis it's a good thing. And you don't have to turn on the TV, but I'd love to watch our 14 year olds shit their pants in Estadio Azteca.

Reactions: FootyLovin

ETA:

No question the team will be spread thin playing two cup competitions in addition to the league, but it's definitely doable with added GAM resources.

Last season we played the opening half the year without Lampard & Harrison and the closing half without Mix. Add in that Chanot barely played at all (6 games total?). There were other players that also went stretches of club-imposed banishment that set us back. If we have a full squad and don't banish players, then we should be able to prioritize games by adding in a few bench players, to complement the starters, for certain Cup matches or lesser league ties. We really should be using no less than 18 players on a consistent basis. And many of the early CCL matches are against non-Mexican teams which didn't exactly show well against the collective MLS entries last year - we can definitely send out a mixed squad for those.

Plus, unless Vieira has an offseason lobotomy, he's going with Lurch (or new GK) so the margin of error has increased in that department over Saunders.

Lastly, we've shown that we match up better against western teams than our own conference.... that should translate well to the style of play in the CCL.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
I think we could use a couple of affordable MCFC reserves on our roster next year. We would be able to guarantee international competition as a sweetener. Definitely think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Edit: [Midas is right. I meant the MCFC youth team where we got Facey and Angelino last year, not the senior team reserves].

Last edited:
I think we could use a couple of affordable MCFC reserves on our roster next year. We would be able to guarantee international competition as a sweetener. Definitely think the positives outweigh the negatives.
hahahahahah

3812098.jpg

Reactions: Paul
The GAM bonus for making CCL is $200,000. Note that this is less than the $250,000 that a team gets for being out of the playoffs.

ALLOCATIONS

Team who miss the playoffs receive $250,000 in allocation money.

Expansion teams receive $1.1 million in allocation money.

Teams competing in non-MLS competitions receive $200,000 in allocation money.

Team may use up to $650,000 of money accrued in a transfer or loan outside of MLS as allocation money.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/04/mls-cba-details-salaries-team-win-bonuses

ETA:

i feel thats always going to be the case every year in MLS with the salary cap rules. there will be declines or others we thought were good enough but dont pan out. others who are overpaid and dont need to be in starting XI..etc.

plus there have been many MLS teams with very good squads and yet fail to win the MLS cup. i guess its up to each person but i sure would love winning it. even if it comes before MLS cup.