Eastern confrence final

The GAM bonus for making CCL is $200,000. Note that this is less than the $250,000 that a team gets for being out of the playoffs.

ALLOCATIONS

Team who miss the playoffs receive $250,000 in allocation money.

Expansion teams receive $1.1 million in allocation money.

Teams competing in non-MLS competitions receive $200,000 in allocation money.

Team may use up to $650,000 of money accrued in a transfer or loan outside of MLS as allocation money.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/04/mls-cba-details-salaries-team-win-bonuses

Just looking at that bothers me. I think rewarding non-playoff teams and the conference winners/cup winners is ridiculous. If you point in parity, then only reward the ones who miss the playoffs. If you want to reward winners, only reward winners. Otherwise, it hurts the teams on the rise who make the playoffs, but are not championship material yet. It makes the teams behind them stronger and the ones at the top harder to catch.

Back to the point at hand, $200k is better then $0k. Moreover, there are $40k bonuses for winning CCL matches, so a prelim win & group stage advancement boosts it to $243k. Win a group stage match or 2 and advance from there and almost at $290k.

• CONCACAF Champions League Preliminary Win: $3,000

• CCL Qualify for Group Stage: $40,000

• CCL Group Stage Win: $4,000

• CCL Team advances to quarterfinal: $35,000

• CCL Team advances to semifinal: $40,000

• CCL Team advances to final: $45,000

• CCL Team wins final: $50,000

Just looking at that bothers me. I think rewarding non-playoff teams and the conference winners/cup winners is ridiculous. If you point in parity, then only reward the ones who miss the playoffs. If you want to reward winners, only reward winners. Otherwise, it hurts the teams on the rise who make the playoffs, but are not championship material yet. It makes the teams behind them stronger and the ones at the top harder to catch.

Back to the point at hand, $200k is better then $0k. Moreover, there are $40k bonuses for winning CCL matches, so a prelim win & group stage advancement boosts it to $243k. Win a group stage match or 2 and advance from there and almost at $290k.

Are those bonuses for the players to split/share or GAM bonuses (i.e. Play well and we'll keep helping you along to make MLS look good)?

The GAM bonus for making CCL is $200,000. Note that this is less than the $250,000 that a team gets for being out of the playoffs.

ALLOCATIONS

Team who miss the playoffs receive $250,000 in allocation money.

Expansion teams receive $1.1 million in allocation money.

Teams competing in non-MLS competitions receive $200,000 in allocation money.

Team may use up to $650,000 of money accrued in a transfer or loan outside of MLS as allocation money.

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/02/04/mls-cba-details-salaries-team-win-bonuses
That's fucked

Are those bonuses for the players to split/share or GAM bonuses (i.e. Play well and we'll keep helping you along to make MLS look good)?

I think you're right now that I'm re-reading it. They listed the allocation separate from bonuses. Well that would give our guys some incentive. I'm also assuming it has to be per player. Are you going to spread $3,000 around 24 players? $120 per player??? That's the definition of bush league if it's true.

I couldn't give a shit about the allocation money since i think the league will make salary cap and money magically appear when it brings good players to the league. I care about watching more meaningful games. I'd love to see us playing CCL games. Even if we lose.

And Montreal seemed to play a best XI last year while playing CCL games, not sure why everyone thinks we'd trot out a B side.

I couldn't give a shit about the allocation money since i think the league will make salary cap and money magically appear when it brings good players to the league. I care about watching more meaningful games. I'd love to see us playing CCL games. Even if we lose.

And Montreal seemed to play a best XI last year while playing CCL games, not sure why everyone thinks we'd trot out a B side.
Agreed. More NYCFC soccer, sign me up. And FWIW, during one of PV's post-mortem interviews he was asked what his biggest regret/lesson learned was during the season, and he specifically mentioned mismanaging our non-league tourney game(s) and promised to do better in the future. I hope that means he would go all-in to win CCL games. It remains to be seen what our roster will look like by season's start, but I am hopeful that it will be one with a better ability to compete in an out of league.

Instead of unbalanced allocation money allotments, they should give poorly performing teams more free cuts. Everyone should get their one free release of a player each year, but the worse you do, the more you get. Essentially, the front office will be paying for bad teams to turn over the rosters faster. Chicago can cut four highly paid players this offseason, while Toronto can only cut one.

Instead of unbalanced allocation money allotments, they should give poorly performing teams more free cuts. Everyone should get their one free release of a player each year, but the worse you do, the more you get. Essentially, the front office will be paying for bad teams to turn over the rosters faster. Chicago can cut four highly paid players this offseason, while Toronto can only cut one.
Totally agree with the cuts. in many ways that's more valuable that extra funds because dead weight is dead weight - it won't improve with a new season.

Totally agree with the cuts. in many ways that's more valuable that extra funds because dead weight is dead weight - it won't improve with a new season.

It also isn't something good teams will "miss," so there's no incentive to tank or anything. It's not a consolation prize, it's perfectly in line with helping poor teams get better, and good teams don't need it.

I hope Mr. Garber is reading this. This is an excellent idea.

Wait, that's all the CCL is worth in prize money? That's insane. It's barely what you can get for winning the Football League Trophy, and that's a tournament for 3rd/4th tier clubs.

I expect the problem with this is that the union is all in for extra GAM, but not at all on board with extra cuts.

Doesn't mean I don't like it.

They played best 11 in KO rounds, and MLS agreed to basically suspend their league play. It seemed like they only played like 1-2 games for the first month of the season.

No big TV contract.

The Football League Trophy doesn't get televised. It's too small of a tournament to have a TV audience. The prize money just comes from a single sponsor.

I'm just amazed that the CCL can't muster up enough sponsorship even to boost the prize money for winning it even to a six-figure sum.

Reactions: adam
The Football League Trophy doesn't get televised. It's too small of a tournament to have a TV audience. The prize money just comes from a single sponsor.

Then I guess... Welcome to America!

giphy.gif

I'm just amazed that the CCL can't muster up enough sponsorship even to boost the prize money for winning it even to a six-figure sum.
Well, all the potential sponsors are taken. Have you looked at CONCACAF shirts outside of MLS? It's like the free city paper puked all over them.