Emelec Postmatch

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Streamed the first half at work and we looked rough. Guess we turned it around in the second half. I'll have to catch highlights.
First goal can be blamed on sands being off the pitch. Probably trying to find him a top since his had blood on it. Pirlo, WTF? Just turned off and jogged away.
Didn't see anything exciting out of that midfield in the first half. Then again it's probably nothing like we'll look opening day.
I'll add highlights here after work.
2-2
Discuss.

1-2 Okoli

2-2 Sterzer

Last edited:
Couldn't get much from game since players looked like their first person game, bit as far as unsigned players go. Stertzer looked useful, so did awuah. I think Gomez will be starting at RB soon.

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
DEFENCE LOOKS WEAK.... still need adjustments there urgent

GK situation... Johanson has the raw materials to be a solid keeper he needs game experience week in week out to settle in i liked what i saw but we will have to be patient with him I have a good feeling he will come to his own in the position and be our solid keeper in the long run........... over all i am bullish on Johanson...

great grit by our young guns.... to get the 2-2.... beautiful goal by Okoli

positive trip to ecuador both on and off the field...... regardless of the result NYCFC went there and had a POSITIVE INFLUENCE and left a great impression with the people......

on a off off off the pitch note i hope NYCFC directors toured the stadium and took notes about the facility to perhaps incorporate in their design some day.........

other than that...... Just got jacked up for the season...

AGUANTE NYCFC AGUANTE NACIONAL

Sands could be a possibility! He will be the next Jack Harrison in the 2018 season.

Stertzer seems likely to make the team after a few good chances and a last minute goal.

That shot from Okoil was brutal, absolutely nothing the keeper could do. He keeps that up during the season and I think we have a solution to backing up villa (supersub Okoil)

The team looked like they were still jet lagged at times, hopefully they will be better for the preseason tournament... Enough to take home the trophy !!

Reactions: Sabo
I'm super excited about Sands. He's all there to play from a technical and tactical standpoint and he's only 16! He probably needs about 15-20 pounds more muscle on him to start really crushing the league. Which as a 16 year old is actually totally possible to accomplish in a year or less. His biggest problem can be solved by food and the weight room.

My bet is we keep him on the first team roster, just so someone else doesn't grab him away from us. And there's a good chance he can be a solid rotation option for us in the season. And since he's only 16 hes going to be getting better very very quickly.

We're going to make bank on him selling to Europe.

And frankly I trust PV with his development a lot more than I trust whatever you want to call the broader US youth development program.

So who showed well enough to get a contract? I think Sands, Stertzer, Awauah.

We are going to be deeper and with more competition for starting spots than ever before.

Quick hits:

I like Sands. He's already far better than Lopez.

I like Khiry and TMac a lot from their public personas. I don't think Khiry is good enough for more than a spot role, and I don't know what that spot is. TMac can only be productive in a free role when others are drawing all of the attention. He cannot and should not be trusted on the ball or to defend in the middle of the field.

Norris is John Stones if John Stones sucked even more and were older with no upside, whatsoever.

Callens looks to have upside.

Awuah was a big improvement over TMac in the middle of the park.

Someone find my post on Stertzer that I got NO REPS for. Just like I was under-repped for calling the Sands stuff.

That noise is me patting myself on the back. I may be an idiot, but I'm an insightful one.

eta: pirlo looked really slow even for pirlo

I would love to see us go to a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond if we get a true destroyer for the bottom of the diamond. Allows us to play villa and okoli up top together. Back 4 has martaritta, callens, chanot, RB. Then the midfield is wide open. Pirlo looked bad. I was never a huge tmac fan. Got to start Harrison.

In a 3-5-2 you go with brilliant, Chan or, callens. Martaritta and Harrison in the mid field with 3 others.

Reactions: Ulrich
What kind of subs did Emelec make? If our subs played against their subs then I'm not too excited. Wait and see what Okoli does next few weeks in the tournament.
This game might have bought him a chance.

Reactions: Kjbert