Emelec Postmatch

Is no one else just purely viscerally pumped about the excitement of (a) having a game at all and (b) getting an albeit meaningless result?

My excitement is only diminished by the horror show that was our homer commentators. Holy god they were awful. Do they get paid in jersey sales? Do they think we're all going to run off and buy more tickets because they're predicting MLS Cup for us?

Is no one else just purely viscerally pumped about the excitement of (a) having a game at all and (b) getting an albeit meaningless result?

My excitement is only diminished by the horror show that was our homer commentators. Holy god they were awful. Do they get paid in jersey sales? Do they think we're all going to run off and buy more tickets because they're predicting MLS Cup for us?
Made me miss old Chappy. Actually, I always miss Chappy.

And here are your USSA (United States of South America, fyi) bootlegged highlights, including some commentary in their native tongue.

Stertzer is ice cold on that finish. So very rare to see anyone in any league not go into panic mode when they find themselves 4 yards from the keeper without a defender nearby. Most always it seems, players lose their shit and rush, kicking it right to the keeper.

Last edited:

They're just optimists. You know, always cheering and such.:);)

And here are your USSA (United States of South America, fyi) bootlegged highlights, including some commentary in their native tongue.

Stertzer is ice cold on that finish. So very rare to see anyone in any league not go into panic mode when they find themselves 4 yards from the keeper without a defender nearby. Most always it seems, players lose their shit and rush, kicking it right to the keeper.

Oof, that first goal allowed.

Oof, that first goal allowed.
Bad giveaway, Pirlo pirlo'ed, Sands was out, and Norris completely unaware and/or incapable of not getting beaten to the back post.

Sean got caught in a bad spot trying to close down the passing lane, but I actually like what his thought was on how to recover. Didn't work out, obviously, but I think it demonstrated a great understanding of where everyone on the pitch was. And that if the ball was going to reach that runner, he was totally effed anyway.

Okoli reminded me a lot of Dom Dwyer last night. Dwyer was a totally different player after going down to USL and tearing the league up, came back up to SKC and kept it up in MLS. They have similar styles. I have to see him play more before getting too excited, but it was a really good showing. I want to see how he combines with Villa.

Bad giveaway, Pirlo pirlo'ed, Sands was out, and Norris completely unaware and/or incapable of not getting beaten to the back post.

Sean got caught in a bad spot trying to close down the passing lane, but I actually like what his thought was on how to recover. Didn't work out, obviously, but I think it demonstrated a great understanding of where everyone on the pitch was. And that if the ball was going to reach that runner, he was totally effed anyway.
Appreciate the context. Highlight was the first I've seen it. White was particularly brutal.

Reactions: JayH

Watching the highlights was struck by one other thing. Found it interesting how our B-team which you would think would be young and excitable was totally chill over both their goals. Very business as usual. I know it's a friendly. But I found it fascinating how they took their goals in stride.

Last night seemed to highlight tendencies we've shown in the past. When Villa/Pirlo are on the field we play a very, very specific style with everything being funneled through Pirlo while trying to feed Villa. Predictable. And just like last year when Villa/Pirlo/Lampard didn't play, the reserve forwards and midfielders seemed to create more chaos and confusion on the attack because the opponent really didn't knew where the ball was drawn up to go. After seeing Okoli play, I want him on the field as our target forward with either Villa on the wing (PV figures out how to make it work with defensive responsibilities), or them both side by side as two pure forwards with no wingers. The third option is that we really do go with a 334 and they're both in the middle with wingers to the sides. But not having a young, tall, technical forward on the pitch from the opening whistle would be a mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
my stream was crappy....who sent the long pass to the wing that lead to the second goal?

also sands ....kid did not look lost out there did very well...kid literally bled for the team and kept going.

i really like the fact that they played in an atmosphere like this...especially for the young kids...it can go a long way in terms of confidence and not being intimidated at all when they go away or if and when we do CCL.

Last edited:

completely butchering the name of the city they were at....and kept saying "copa lib" that really got me annoyed for some reason. instead of attempting to say copa libertadores

Last edited:
Last night seemed to highlight tendencies we've shown in the past. When Villa/Pirlo are on the field we play a very, very specific style with everything being funneled through Pirlo while trying to feed Villa. Predictable. And just like last year when Villa/Pirlo/Lampard didn't play, the reserve forwards and midfielders seemed to create more chaos and confusion on the attack because the opponent really knew where the ball was drawn up to go. After seeing Okoli play, I want him on the field as our target forward with either Villa on the wing (PV figures out how to make it work with defensive responsibilities), or them both side by side as two pure forwards with no wingers. The third option is that we really do go with a 334 and they're both in the middle with wingers to the sides. But not having a young, tall, technical forward on the pitch from the opening whistle would be a mistake.

What about a 3-3-4 like this?

A: Mataritta, Villa, Okoli, Gomez
M: Pirlo, Harrison, Ring
D: Callens, Chanot, Brillant

Or put Harrison on the RW and replace with a midfielder of your choice. The wingers in this formation would be expected to track back extensively, but are primarily attackers.

Reactions: Ulrich
What about a 3-3-4 like this?

A: Mataritta, Villa, Okoli, Gomez
M: Pirlo, Harrison, Ring
D: Callens, Chanot, Brillant

Or put Harrison on the RW and replace with a midfielder of your choice. The wingers in this formation would be expected to track back extensively, but are primarily attackers.
That's good or push Harrison to RW and..... wait for it...... wait....

Play Sands next to Ring and Pirlo. I'm not kidding - he looked relaxed and composed out there last night. He's not a full-season guy because his long-term endurance isn't there, but he could platoon with that guy last night that scored (man-bun) or the rookie from UConn who looks like he can handle the speed of play.

Reactions: Kjbert
I couldn't focus on the game the way I wanted to but holy hell was that exciting! There was some beautiful interplay at times and that's very encouraging given the time that these guys have been together. Sean Okoli is going to be a stud. I can feel it.

The next thing I need to see (which might be against RBNJ) is what our Plan B is. Last year we didn't have one and I'm sure that coach realized that at the end of the season and adjusted accordingly.

I thought it was a decent game - showed how we will set up in terms of shape and play and while a lot of guys were still pretty rusty, they will get better as preseason goes on. We're already much more settled in to the system that Vieira wants to play than we were a year ago.

A few of the young guys showed up well too - Sands, Gomez, Awuah. I thought Wingate did pretty well too - had some decent tackling, position and distribution. Thought Chanot did ok for a preseason game too.

So very rare to see anyone in any league not go into panic mode when they find themselves 4 yards from the keeper without a defender nearby. Most always it seems, players lose their shit and rush, kicking it right to the keeper.

Triggered...