Emelec Postmatch

Here's my take from this match....

Vieira didn't put out his best lineup at the start (and he knew that, hopefully). If he thinks that Ethan White is a starter, were in for a tough season. Ethan White had to fill in for Brillant who would have started if healthy. Still, the backline should have been Mata--Callens--Chanot--Allen. It's a game to win, but it's more a game for experience. Vieira wanted to answer the question of could Chanot play RB? The question of could Chanot play at RB was unanswered because you're only as good as the worst player on your team and Ethan White's play made Vieira switch him to RB and Chanot to CB. We saw RJ Allen come into the match very late, because Vieira must have confidence in him and knows that he can play (he did get the game tying assist). Presesaon matches are 1) to see what players should make the roster and 2) see who your best players are and what the best formation is for those players. Let's hope Brillant gets healthy, so we can test out Mata--Callens--Brillant--Chanot. We didn't see Chanot go forward a lot yesterday and we will need to see that to get an answer on that question.

As talked about, the most surprising thing this preseason has been James Sands. Will he be a starter? I don't think so, but I can see him being the first person off the bench for defensive purposes. We still need someone to cover for Pirlo as evidence by our second allowed goal. So we need some sort of DM as Pirlo cannot play the 6. Will Ring be able to go box to box and cover for Pirlo at the same time. It's been a preseason of questions.

Vieira didn't put out his best lineup at the start (and he knew that, hopefully). If he thinks that Ethan White is a starter, were in for a tough season. Ethan White had to fill in for Brillant who would have started if healthy. Still, the backline should have been Mata--Callens--Chanot--Allen. It's a game to win, but it's more a game for experience. Vieira wanted to answer the question of could Chanot play RB? The question of could Chanot play at RB was unanswered because you're only as good as the worst player on your team and Ethan White's play made Vieira switch him to RB and Chanot to CB. We saw RJ Allen come into the match very late, because Vieira must have confidence in him and knows that he can play (he did get the game tying assist). Presesaon matches are 1) to see what players should make the roster and 2) see who your best players are and what the best formation is for those players. Let's hope Brillant gets healthy, so we can test out Mata--Callens--Brillant--Chanot. We didn't see Chanot go forward a lot yesterday and we will need to see that to get an answer on that question.

As talked about, the most surprising thing this preseason has been James Sands. Will he be a starter? I don't think so, but I can see him being the first person off the bench for defensive purposes. We still need someone to cover for Pirlo as evidence by our second allowed goal. So we need some sort of DM as Pirlo cannot play the 6. Will Ring be able to go box to box and cover for Pirlo at the same time. It's been a preseason of questions.
Would make sense to bring Sands on in the 60th minute if we are ahead by a goal or (to both);

1. Save Pirlo's legs
2. Add defensive reinforcement / energy

I think we relied on Pirlo and Villa a bit too much, so I believe Okoli will be good for giving Villa a rest, and Sands/Awuah for giving Pirlo a breather and getting them some time and experience. Still have a lot of tinkering to do before the season, but hopefully these questions become clearer/ have answers.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam

It will be very interesting to watch our defense take shape.

First, I agree that White should not and likely will not be part of the ordinary 18. He is a cheap, American, emergency player.

Our best three defenders are clearly Callens, Chanot, and Brillant. If one is not playing, the other two should/will be at center back. If all three are available, however, the question becomes how you fit them on the field. The options are:

1. 3-man backline
2. Play one at FB
3. Play one at CDM

In two preseason games, we have tried all three. Chanot has been moved around, starting at CDM in Jacksonville and RB in Ecuador.

I'm not sure one system will emerge as clearly superior. Both #2 and #3 have the flexibility to switch to #1, which aligns nicely with something Vieira did frequently last season. If we bring in or find a starting CDM like Badji, Herrera, or Ring, then #3 is out and Chanot might emerge as our most commonly starting RB, but rotating into CB when necessary with Allen and Gomez rotating into the lineup.

Depth is still rough. We have tons of games in May and June this year, with a crowded MLS schedule in May and Open Cup games in June. One injury would force White into the lineup for some of those.

I think the Sands hype is a little high right now. He showed great understanding of the game and a cool head, but he's still a bit undersized due to age and isn't going to be a physical presence out there yet. I wouldn't mind him getting time and getting used to the physicality, but at most he could make a few appearances as a sub and start Open Cup early rounds.

I'd take a different read on the Allen situation. If we go off what we saw last year we know PV likes having a defensive minded CB like defender at RB when Mata is on the field. To the point he was willing to trot out JH game after game. I think your predicted fully healthy line up of Mata--Callens--Brillant--Chanot is accurate. My worry is that PV will continue to use Allen only as an offensive boost while sticking to his CB type RB plans. Meaning we either add a CB or strong defensive RB or we are going to see way more of Norris than any of us would like every time one of our CBs is injured.

I'd take a different read on the Allen situation. If we go off what we saw last year we know PV likes having a defensive minded CB like defender at RB when Mata is on the field. To the point he was willing to trot out JH game after game. I think your predicted fully healthy line up of Mata--Callens--Brillant--Chanot is accurate. My worry is that PV will continue to use Allen only as an offensive boost while sticking to his CB type RB plans. Meaning we either add a CB or strong defensive RB or we are going to see way more of Norris than any of us would like every time one of our CBs is injured.
No reason Sands can't fill in at the back.

Loved Sean Johnson in Goal this game, looks athletic, not scared with ball at his feet, and seemed to make smart decisions. I didn't think Eirik looked as good unfortunately. If coaches could get Josh to improve at all last year, they should be able to get Johnson really clicking with the ball.

I thought there would be a competition, but it didnt look like it last night.

R roxfontaine How much shit would supporters group be in if this ever happened at Yankee Stadium?

Some visual references:

Bass_MSU_Manure.jpg

resize

18kao7z9d7by2jpg.jpg

I don't have a Facebook account -- not really my thing. Is it possible to do a live YouTube stream in addition to Facebook? Would very much like to watch this live.
Its something we would have to bring up w/ the others. If there is more demand on YouTube rather than Facebook maybe they will think about it. But for know all post games will be placed on Blue York One, after they air live.