Home - 10/28 Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that my intuitions should be taken as meaningful, but throughout the DC match I kept having the thought that Villa would be retiring after our post-season. However long or short that may be.

He's clearly in decline, he has plenty of off-field opportunities, and he can't realistically expect to see any action for Spain in meaningful games anymore. Time to hang it up after a glorious career.

I’d be happy to have him back until or unless we can replace this:

2018 1 goal every 128 minutes
2017 116 minutes
2016 124 minutes
2015 139 minutes

His production really isn’t that far off.

That’s pretty consistent. And leadership. As far as I’m concerned it’s his choice.

2017 116 minutes
2016 124 minutes
2015 139 minutes

That’s pretty consistent. And leadership. As far as I’m concerned it’s his choice.
I agree with this, though the concern with the 1 goal in every 128 minutes is that is only factoring in minutes he's played as he has spent a considerable amount of time injured this season.

If we can get him back on a TAM deal then I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'm a bit torn if we need a 1 year DP deal to bring him back.

2017 116 minutes
2016 124 minutes
2015 139 minutes

I just think from the FO point of view, he is clearly still a very popular player, and I think someone that the casual fans would gladly like back. And we know how good he has been for all his off-the-field contributions.

As for on the field, I know that many around here that think DP could be better used, but I’m not sure that this team has shown enough success with using their DPs to make me feel confident about that. Has he been more injury prone this year? Absolutely, and that’s a continued risk with an older player. But he continues to be our most consistent goal scorer, and still capable of moments of brilliance that can change a game.

But again, that’s only if he wants to come back. He does have a lot of side projects going, and I am sure it gets much harder for him to do the grind as he ages.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

2017 116 minutes
2016 124 minutes
2015 139 minutes

So it begs the question: Were his injuries bad luck, or his body starting to fail him. If you expect he can stay relatively healthy next year, he's still very productive and should be re-signed. If you think he'll miss another 10 games, then you have a decision to make.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Let's assume that Herrera can go more than 20-30 on Sunday, but less than 90. This seems especially likely given another games in 3-4 days. Even if he cold tough it out to 90 minutes against the Union, it could destroy him for the knockout.
So, then, do you start him, and let him go maybe 50-60?? Or start the alternate, and bring him on at halftime to close out the game. Either way you're committed to burning a substitution for him. I'm inclined to think it's best to bring him on at the half, even though the temptation o starting our best midfield for the fist time since May is very tempting.

Reactions: Schwallacus
New York City FC v Philadelphia Union
Yankee Stadium (4:30PM ET)
REF: Alan Kelly
AR1: Corey Rockwell
AR2: Corey Parker
4TH: Fotis Bazakos
VAR: Dave Gantar

This is a best in PRO refereeing crew...

Reactions: Gotham Gator
New York City FC v Philadelphia Union
Yankee Stadium (4:30PM ET)
REF: Alan Kelly
AR1: Corey Rockwell
AR2: Corey Parker
4TH: Fotis Bazakos
VAR: Dave Gantar

This is a best in PRO refereeing crew...

giphy.gif

Let's assume that Herrera can go more than 20-30 on Sunday, but less than 90. This seems especially likely given another games in 3-4 days. Even if he cold tough it out to 90 minutes against the Union, it could destroy him for the knockout.
So, then, do you start him, and let him go maybe 50-60?? Or start the alternate, and bring him on at halftime to close out the game. Either way you're committed to burning a substitution for him. I'm inclined to think it's best to bring him on at the half, even though the temptation o starting our best midfield for the fist time since May is very tempting.

i dont think he will play. Isint he one yellow away from suspension?

I'd be tempted more to have him start. That way in case it's clear he's not fit enough to go 45, you can sub him out. If it's the other way around, you're talking about using 2 subs.

Yellow card accumulation does not roll into the playoffs. Only a straight red (or two yellows in this game) would result in suspension in the first playoff match.

oh ok i though it did roll into if you are at limit and one away from suspension.

I say start him and sub him at half if necessary. There is usually less extra time in the first half if you plan to bring him in the start 2nd half. Saves his legs a little and recouperation starts and hour earlier. Also, the idea should be to grab a lead and park the bus to either win or draw. So put out our best to start and hopefully grab that early goal.

Yes it’s counterintuitive to never start someone if they can’t go 90. But this is not a normal situation.

1. Player just came back from long absence and we need him fit ASAP.
2. It’s a must win.
3. Short rest till next match which is also a must win.

(*4. If we lose on Sunday, I wouldn’t even play Yangel in the playoffs. Let the kid rest, we’re losing at DC no matter what if that’s the scenario.)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Question on Herrera is a balance between physical condition - can he recover quickly enough to play 3 games in a week - and regaining form - how can we get him up to playing his best quickly.

I am willing to bet that at his age, he can recover quickly and give us a good run in all 3 games. I would start him and let him go 65 so that he is in the best playing shape for Wednesday/Thursday.

Reactions: adam
let him go 50-60 depending on weather and how he feels. I want to give him more than a half of play to see how he reacts and get his fitness up before the playoff game 3/4 days later. I'd feel 4.5% better about our playoff chances if he gets an hour of play (even if we lose) than going into it with Herrera only getting spot minutes as a sub.

I say start him and sub him at half if necessary. There is usually less extra time in the first half if you plan to bring him in the start 2nd half. Saves his legs a little and recouperation starts and hour earlier. Also, the idea should be to grab a lead and park the bus to either win or draw. So put out our best to start and hopefully grab that early goal.

Yes it’s counterintuitive to never start someone if they can’t go 90. But this is not a normal situation.

1. Player just came back from long absence and we need him fit ASAP.
2. It’s a must win.
3. Short rest till next match which is also a must win.

(*4. If we lose on Sunday, I wouldn’t even play Yangel in the playoffs. Let the kid rest, we’re losing at DC no matter what if that’s the scenario.)
If Herrera can only go 20-45min, he should start. The first 20-25 minutes doesn’t have the club typically expending any effort, so he’s only got to perform from minutes 26-45+.

Status
Not open for further replies.