Jorge Teixeira Deal Finalized?

Point is - you are drafting a player to contribute now or next year. You are not investing the 4th Pick Overall in a player you hope helps you in 3-5 years. Our team will look drastically different then.
As most people have acknowledged, it is highly unlikely that we draft a player who will contribute anything significant right away. You need to focus on a broader time horizon and what a player will contribute in years 2-10 and beyond. That could be a long career with us, or a couple years with us as his value increases until we sell/trade him and get compensation that leads to continuous success. If you are using this draft to build your team for this year, you are not going to have any success in this league.

Reactions: gbservis
Point is - you are drafting a player to contribute now or next year. You are not investing the 4th Pick Overall in a player you hope helps you in 3-5 years. Our team will look drastically different then.

im sure you know the quality of the draft and it doesnt give you someone that can contribute in starting XI right away, very few do from what i have seen. if you dont plan on having a draft pick in 3 years then defeats the purpose of this draft

He's a starter on a decent team in a Belgian league that is one or two tiers above MLS in quality. Considering the overall quality of MLS defenders, that makes him probably one of the better defenders in the league. He has the right physical build and has ball skills. Won't break the bank. Its as good as we can expect for a move here.

He's a starter on a decent team in a Belgian league that is one or two tiers above MLS in quality. Considering the overall quality of MLS defenders, that makes him probably one of the better defenders in the league. He has the right physical build and has ball skills. Won't break the bank. Its as good as we can expect for a move here.

He played with Ciman at Liege. Although I believe Ciman is a better CB, if Teixeria can somehow come close to Ciman's impact in his first year in MLS, it'll be a fantastic signing for us.

My other concern (although not sure if it'll be relevant) is the language barrier. Communication is vital between CBs. Is Teixeria fluent in English?

He played with Ciman at Liege. Although I believe Ciman is a better CB, if Teixeria can somehow come close to Ciman's impact in his first year in MLS, it'll be a fantastic signing for us.

My other concern (although not sure if it'll be relevant) is the language barrier. Communication is vital between CBs. Is Teixeria fluent in English?
Agree on his value if he even approaches Ciman. He was very impressive last year.

The language thing is interesting, as we hear that a lot. I confess to never playing at any level where this was an issue would be curious to hear from those who have. It is a common refrain in the media and from pundits, but it just strikes me as being overblown. Being in sync is key, but I am skeptical that that requires real fluency. If you listen to "mic-ed up" sessions of a defensive back four and goalie, it generally sounds like they are yelling about three or four different phrases over and over. My gut instinct is that good defensive cohesion is much more about anticipating how your partner is going to play than actually verbally communicating in any complex and nuanced way. But, it would be great to hear if others have first-hand experience.

Guy was on a team with defenders from Haiti, Belgium, Denmark, Slovenia, Columbia, Cameroon, and Serbia so IDK how big of a language issue there is. English is the international language of Europe anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if half of Europeans were conversational in English plus you don't have to really have a conservation on the pitch anyway, you are just yelling your team cue words at each other.

In Portuguese, is it pronounced "Geor-Jah?" The announcer in the first video seems to pronounce Jorge like that.

And he would get to keep #5 with Brovsky gone.

EDIT: Found this from a Yahoo Answers post, so it must be true:

It IS NOT pronounced the same as in Spanish. It is pronounced "ZHOR-zhe", with the "ZH" sound like the "S" in "pleasure", or the French "J" in "bon jour".

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
im sure you know the quality of the draft and it doesnt give you someone that can contribute in starting XI right away, very few do from what i have seen. if you dont plan on having a draft pick in 3 years then defeats the purpose of this draft

Like Tim Parker last year? Starting CB on a Top 4 team in the league. Fatai Alashe - CDM called into USMNT camp.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Like Tim Parker last year? Starting CB on a Top 4 team in the league. Fatai Alashe - CDM called into USMNT camp.

2/ of what 50 picks? i still think many are projects and not all will contribute right away. there have been quite a number that still grew and became starters after a few years/

2/ of what 50 picks? i still think many are projects and not all will contribute right away. there have been quite a number that still grew and became starters after a few years/

There were probably 5 immediate difference makers in last year's draft - Larin, Parker, Roldan, Alashe and Matt Polster. Those 5 guys could start for almost any team in MLS. Larin, Parker and Polster would start for us tomorrow. In limited action, you could argue Shelton was also a difference maker.

At #4 you can (and should) get an immediate difference maker if you draft well.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
There were probably 5 immediate difference makers in last year's draft - Larin, Parker, Roldan, Alashe and Matt Polster. Those 5 guys could start for almost any team in MLS. Larin, Parker and Polster would start for us tomorrow. In limited action, you could argue Shelton was also a difference maker.

At #4 you can (and should) get an immediate difference maker if you draft well.

agree to disagree, i dont think a larin type player appears every year, and shelton even without injuries would of still needed to develop ( by playing of course) but not guarantee anything in first year. look at omar salgado and how he is now in NASL.

i dont see MLS draft as filled with prospects that will immediately make an impact and be a starter from day. this is not NBA or NFL.

Reactions: NYCFCP
There is a good piece on mlssoccer which compares the draft prospects to current players. While those comparisons can be dangerous and it is just one person's opinion, I find they are really helpful when we are debating the merits and setting expectations for players that most all of us have never seen play.

Reactions: Kjbert
agree to disagree, i dont think a larin type player appears every year, and shelton even without injuries would of still needed to develop ( by playing of course) but not guarantee anything in first year. look at omar salgado and how he is now in NASL.

i dont see MLS draft as filled with prospects that will immediately make an impact and be a starter from day. this is not NBA or NFL.

I'm sorry but tell me Matt Polster isn't starting for us last year. Or Tim Parker. Or Fatai Alashe. Those were 3 guys we passed over (all filled positions of need) who could have made an immediate impact last year. Throw in Larin and Roldan, that's 5 guys who were impact players for their team last year.

FWIW, I wouldn't change our draft choice from last year. I tbink he's going to be a star.

I'm sorry but tell me Matt Polster isn't starting for us last year. Or Tim Parker. Or Fatai Alashe. Those were 3 guys we passed over (all filled positions of need) who could have made an immediate impact last year. Throw in Larin and Roldan, that's 5 guys who were impact players for their team last year.

FWIW, I wouldn't change our draft choice from last year. I tbink he's going to be a star.

not gonna lie i dont follow anyone outside of NYCFC....all i know is larin becuase he scored a freaking hat trick against us and eventually read all over how much of an impact player he was.

and to your point....ANYONE could of started in our team last year when you have brovsky, wingert, hernandez, as our starting XI

Even in the NFL, the draft is filled with 1st round busts. The MLS draft is the last place I would bet all my chips in...

I'm excited for this Teixeira fella. Having a half decent defender will make the ENTIRE team better, more confidence in the back= more willingness to press forward.

Reactions: Gene